cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Am I the only one here?

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
It seems that almost every time I take my MH in for repair (which is practically following each trip), it has to stay at the repair shop longer and longer. Sometimes that stay is for weeks and even months. Usually, the "hold up" (that term can be interpreted in two ways...each correct) is due to "waiting for parts". Can anyone tell me why it takes such a long time to receive parts? Does the part have to be manufactured (of course not)? If I order something on Amazon, it's at my door in two or three days. Does this bother anyone else or am I just full of baloney...or is it turkey? / Larry
2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake
30 REPLIES 30

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Think of the thousands of traveling full-timers out there. They don't drop their RVs off for service or repair. They never know where they'll be when needed so they make an appointment in the direction they're heading. The repair facility has the parts ordered. The RVer pulls in the day prior; spends the night on the facility lot - many times with electric; the RV is taken in the next morning and work is completed usually that day or at the most, the next morning. We've always been offered that we spend another night if we want rather than leave late afternoon.

For us, it's gone like clockwork. Of course, this couldn't be done this fast for anything major but still, we've known full-timers who have had major work done and still lived in their RV at night. It really is possibly, folks. I know of one at this time who had an accident and needed rear radiator work and a paint job and they arranged it to be done as they were heading there. They were ready when they arrived and the work was done immediately. They still were able to stay in their RV for a couple nights.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I think back to the upsell on the extended warranty - The $50 deductible is for each visit, so they wanted you to make a list of all the things wrong through the summer and drop it off all winter and they would spend the winter getting it all fixed up for you by spring. hahahaha - a service reps assurance of keeping the staff busy.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
What kind of repairs are needed after each trip?

I try extremely hard to never have to take my rig into the dealer. Do most repairs myself.

But you do admit to having been dragged to one on occasion and even though kicking and screaming along the way, knowing full well of the abuse, that is about to be bestowed upon you and much like being beaten about the head and shoulders?
I'm with you on this and even if you happen to be one of those without a gear in your head or which end of a screw driver to hold, there are so many things that can be done by a friend or their kids for that matter, to save one's self from all this pain and suffering. Parts are readily available on line as well, in many instances. Then there are the mobile mechanics that will usually arrive promptly and not charge near as much as a dealership. There are usually, both the house and chassis types, as well.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Find a different repair shop. Or, Find a mobile mechanic. I will not put up with having my coach "sunshined" during the repair process.
JMHO

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, in a lot of situations it's true. We've experienced this more than once at different dealers over the years. As mentioned before, new sales puts everything on hold - they're priority. Even if you have a appointment for trouble shooting it's just a drop off date. Most times it might come in a week later to be looked at, if your lucky ( or you complain).

If they find or acknowledge the problem, the n st step takes place

1: is there a extended warranty - approval is needed - could takes weeks ( Been there)
2: once approved, if a part is out of stock - it could take weeks.
3: part comes in - it could take weeks to get you back in the cue for the repair.

I've found if you leave it for whatever reason, expect some kind of other damage. Been down that road. Paint damage, batteries dead, etc.

The only thing I have found up here in the great white north is getting work done in January, February. They aren't selling too good during the winter months. They tend to be more attentive to the repair end then.

I wish there was a mobile guy around here.

PNW_Wood
Explorer
Explorer
scrubjaysnest wrote:
I remember a multi million dollar aircraft sitting 6 months while a new noise wheel was made. Why not a less expensive RV? lol

Because they are totally the same thing right?

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
PNW Wood wrote:
Dealing with repairs sounds like more of a nightmare than the fact that there are repairs to be done.

Doesn't make sense? I'm just thinking to myself that going into RV ownership you sort of just accept there will be issues. What concerns me is that getting the repairs done sounds like a real *****

It really isn't that bad. You just plan ahead and develop a list of shops that treat your right. Catastrophic problems that require you to take pot luck are extremely rare.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
I remember a multi million dollar aircraft sitting 6 months while a new noise wheel was made. Why not a less expensive RV? lol
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

PNW_Wood
Explorer
Explorer
Dealing with repairs sounds like more of a nightmare than the fact that there are repairs to be done.

Doesn't make sense? I'm just thinking to myself that going into RV ownership you sort of just accept there will be issues. What concerns me is that getting the repairs done sounds like a real *****

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Larry, since we both own Winnebago products, I hope you don't have any trouble getting parts in December! If the dealer doesn't have the part say mid December you will have to wait until the new year to get that part. Winnebago shuts there plant down and they make most of there own parts. Been there and done that!

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
goufgators wrote:
It seems that almost every time I take my MH in for repair (which is practically following each trip), it has to stay at the repair shop longer and longer. Sometimes that stay is for weeks and even months. Usually, the "hold up" (that term can be interpreted in two ways...each correct) is due to "waiting for parts". Can anyone tell me why it takes such a long time to receive parts? Does the part have to be manufactured (of course not)? If I order something on Amazon, it's at my door in two or three days. Does this bother anyone else or am I just full of baloney...or is it turkey? / Larry

My recommendation is to to use RVServiceReviews.com to find a repair shop and read reviews by real people as they rate the shops in your area.

Only left my RV at a shop once. That was for a busted valve in a diesel engine so major work. But I was there every day and they didn't dally on the work.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
usersmanual wrote:
We also stay in the coach while at the shop so I can keep and eye on the progress

a efficient good rv techs worst nightmare

Actually the service writer/manager worst nightmare.

For sure one must be respectful of the tech and not hover.

However...my coach, my money, my rules.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
db7512 wrote:
My dealership let's me send photos to them which they need for warranty repair and to ensure the correct part is ordered
When the part arrives we agree on a date and I usally wait or pick it up that afternoon after the work is done.

Our 5er Dealer would do that for us - made it nice actually, except I just went in and traded the bad for the new part and installed myself so I didn't have to even bring the rig to the Dealer.

I generally hate leaving my rig at the Dealer - not they they are neglectful on purpose, but I've had more damage to the rig right there on the lot. Sure they fix it, but who wants the damage in the first place.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
mobile techs can do warrenty work, they can get it pre approved, and MOST are smarter than the $1.98 mech at the dealer.