cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Blowout!

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
So........ brand new tire.... date code 22-14...... driving to Charleston, SC on I-95.... we start smelling hot rubber. We pull off the interstate and check the tires. Everything looks great. Get back on the highway and less than 5 miles down the road we blow the tire....the SAME one that blew and was replaced less than 2 months and less tha 500 miles ago.

This time it took down the engine tailpipe, the generator tailpipe, and a wiring bundle that I haven't even begun to figure out what it controls. A little body damage and a whole lot of personal grief and insecurity for the 350 mile trip home. PLUS....I'm losing a couple of days on my vacation to get the repairs done.

Goodyear G647. I checked the pressures before we left this morning. Everything properly aired up. No big load...just a weekend trip. The technician that replaced the tire roadside said the tire itself was faulty....the steel belts were rusted inside the tire and the sidewall easily peeled down like pulling your bottom lip. Obviously VERY frustrated...especially after paying over $1K to have one tire replaced! And this is the second one replaced in less than two months. WTH???!!!!!!! Goodyear has got some 'splainin to do!!!!
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------
62 REPLIES 62

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
OP, please correct if I have this wrong. You blew the inside dual tire probably because of age. You replaced all of the tires with new tires. You had a tread separation on the outside new tire with a date code of 2214.

Yes, that is the way I read the posts. Sounds like Goodyear needs to step up to the plate! There is no way to blame that kind of failure on the owner. He put on all new tires, they were properly inflated, and it sure doesn't sound like it was overloaded.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I would call Goodyear and see if they want to inspect the casing and find out what they will do about it!

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
IF, you file a claim with Goodyear...it might not be wise to tell your story as you've posted it....As stated earlier, if you had one blowout on a dual wheel configuration, the other tire suffers some stress..how much? Depends on your weight etc on that axle at the time. The fact you blew another tire might indicate some other problem with your rig....If I were filing a claim, I'd have the coach weighed immediately after the tire replacement. This would lend credence to showing I was not overloaded at the time. I can see any claim being denied simply because you've had two failures on the same axle within a short period of time. The burden of proof then falls back to you to prove their tire was faulty...good luck.....Dennis

The original blowout happened....the inside dually blewout...jerked down the mudflap and poked a hole in the outer tire. We replaced both roadside at the time. Less than 500 miles later the outer new tire with a date code of 22-14 separated. I'll get the weight to make sure, but I'm reasonably certain that it's not overweight. Nothing else seems to be apparent to be a problem.

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, Ivylog. That is correct.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP, please correct if I have this wrong. You blew the inside dual tire probably because of age. You replaced all of the tires with new tires. You had a tread separation on the outside new tire with a date code of 2214.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the tire maybe something else. Lets us know what you find.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice everyone. As I state earlier...the first blowout I truly believe was due to the tires being old. It was the inner dually. This one was a brand new tire and it was the outer dually tire. I'll get it weighed to make sure as suggested, but I have no reason to think that it could be overweight. I dumped both grey and black tanks before leaving and only carried about 10gallons of fresh water. And there is nothing in the bins over that set of tires....only some basic hand tools in the far back cabinet, and the water/sewer hookup compartment. The next one past the tires is the generator and that's been there all the time. The tire pressures were set and checked at 105 before we left...cold pressure rating is 110. The brakes are not hanging/dragging on that wheel...if they were, the tire would have failed at the bead where they contact the rim...not the tread. Plus the rotors are not showing any indication of dragging brakes. The wheels are not bad....there is just no other reason that the new tire failed except what the technician said when he changed the bad tire.....it was a faulty tire. We'll see what they say when it gets evaluated. I know I"m definitely gun shy now to even drive the coach back home.

Bikeboy57
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP, don't take this the wrong way, but two blowouts in a row on the same tire, and I would also be looking to see if there is a possibility of some other cause.

You said you smelled hot rubber. Is it possible the tire is rubbing? Is it part of a dual? Is the other dual properly inflated? Is the brake locked or rubbing on that corner, that can cause the rim to heat, degrade the tire, and result in a blowout.

Have you weighed the corner to see if you are within the tire's limits?

Before you flame me for sounding like a rep for the tire company, my real interest is YOUR safety. The problem may well be the tire. However, you should eliminate any other potential causes before heading back out on the road.

I am just trying to politely say that two blowouts in a row, in a short period of time, on the same corner don't necessarily point to two bad tires in a row
Richard and Rhonda
1999 Newell
Subaru Outback toad

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
Is that a blowout, or is it seperation?

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

Norm___Deb
Explorer
Explorer
I had several Goodyear tires blow out, and never got anything but "lip service" from them.

Google Goodyear Florida lawsuit! Read it, and then ask yourself why
you are anyone would spend one DIME with Goodyear.
Norm

2001 Monaco Knight 38' DP Triple Slide
2001 4WD Blazer in back

"Everything I will ever tell you will be 100% the truth, or would be 100% the truth if it actually happened."

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
IF, you file a claim with Goodyear...it might not be wise to tell your story as you've posted it....As stated earlier, if you had one blowout on a dual wheel configuration, the other tire suffers some stress..how much? Depends on your weight etc on that axle at the time. The fact you blew another tire might indicate some other problem with your rig....If I were filing a claim, I'd have the coach weighed immediately after the tire replacement. This would lend credence to showing I was not overloaded at the time. I can see any claim being denied simply because you've had two failures on the same axle within a short period of time. The burden of proof then falls back to you to prove their tire was faulty...good luck.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

ljr869
Explorer
Explorer
Try Michelin.
Jim
2009 Fleetwood Bounder 35H
Ford V-10 w/ Banks

the_silverback
Explorer
Explorer
A friend of mine just pulled into the campground we are staying at. He had two blowouts with Goodyear's on the way here. Both tires were only three years old. He replaced all of them.
the silverback
2015 crossroads Rushmore 5th wheel

falconman
Explorer
Explorer
You were very smart in keeping the old tire. After a series of blowouts on our TT with Brigestones, the last one took out the fender skirting. We verified with BFG that they didn't need the tire and we could leave it with the dealer, 1000 miles from home. Well, they lost the paperwork and guess what, no tire, no payment! They seem to have no problem in working with you on the tire replacement, but when it comes to body damage, stand by. You need to read the fine print, you are responsible for keeping the tire.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If you blow one tire and drive very much, it will severely over-load the other tire and make it weak.
Or, if one tires is fairly worn and you replace the other with a brand new tire that is not the same outside diameter you can have problems.