cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have a wife who overpacks motorhome?

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
My late wife believed in traveling light including her closet. My wife now jams every drawer and closet full. Mixers, electric oven, groceries (we don't even eat in that much). Now it's emergency rations in the basement. Anyone else have this problem. :h
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !
61 REPLIES 61

Try loading 8 kids in a DP and heading to Disney for a week......never, never, again. I got about 2 mpg coming home as I was wide open all the way. Dumbest thing I ever did in my life.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
hanko wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
I had that problem with relatives traveling on trips.

When the relatives started bringing piles and piles of stuff I would make them weigh it. Whatever their stuff weighed meant that amount of weight had to come 'out' of the MH 'before' any more of their stuff came in.
Caused a few arguments between them over who's stuff was more important. But I was not part of the equation they had to figure it out themselves and I had a clutter free MH. And my coach was not overweight with a bunch of unnecessary stuff.

you took relatives?

Why do you think I made them weigh their stuff?! :W
After a few times of that they stopped asking to go with! :B

One of them is not allowed to be in the same county as my MH after she repeatedly kept putting her satchel bag up against the side of the bed where the converter was.....and finally started a fire when it over heated and the breaker didn't blow all the way :R

That sign on the converter door that says "do not block can cause a fire hazard"? Is right on the money.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Yankee_Clipper
Explorer
Explorer
What astounds me is the amount of gear 3 grandchildren (7/4/2) can bring aboard. They travel with suitcases bigger than my old sea bag.
Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS,Tiger, the Little Big Man minidachshund,
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good thing we have a tag axle DP.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

shaneperch
Explorer
Explorer
jsmart wrote:
Sorry to hear your solo shaneperch. My DW likes to "nest" in the MH. We always seem to unpack more food than we start out with, haven't figured that one out yet.

Yeah but I pray that someday I won't be I do understand the food thing though:>)

jsmart
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear your solo shaneperch. My DW likes to "nest" in the MH. We always seem to unpack more food than we start out with, haven't figured that one out yet.
2002 Itasca Sunrise 32V

shaneperch
Explorer
Explorer
I wish I had that problem, still flying solo and don't like it much

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in touch with this. We recently completely unloaded the coach to clean/sell and I was in shock to see how much useless******DW had. To be fair this was also a 10 year accumulation but still one heck of a lot of redundancy and excess.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAHLErr1-nY
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
This is one of the reasons I don't want a fifth wheel. You can pack a lot of women's shoes in the bed of a pickup truck. Any of the wives here can vouch for how important it is to have a large supply of women's shoes.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
We used to travel a lot (and still do) by plane so my rule with DW and kids are 50lbs limit the same as airline rules. That's not including bikes, roller blades and beach stuff.
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since we started as tent campers and moved up through a bread truck conversion, etc, my wife and I have both learned that there is no need to over pack. When we first started traveling stores were not as plentiful as they are now. Now, we are very seldom more than an hour away from a Walmart or a pharmacy. Since she likes to shop, even if it is just for groceries, this gives her a chance to do what she loves without packing things that we can easily pick up along the way, if needed.

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
When we head to FL for a few months in the winter I have to remind my wife that they have stores in FL. It's nice to arrive and not have to run out to the store right away but you don't need a 3 months supply.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
We have been traveling with 2 dogs. For some reason we needed 6 dog beds. And NO they were not minitures. Nor were they allowed on the furniture. Then there was the 5 months worth of dog food for the winters in Mexico for dog who had a grain allergy, and the toys, etc etc. But I would have it no other way.

I did once suggest to DW that a small Midi lathe would fit in one of the compartments but didn't get too far with that one.

Can't complain though, the Ham Radios and APRS met no resistance.

One thing I didn't have and should have had was a spare serpentine belt. :S

Explorer
Explorer
I'm probably more guilty of that than my wife. I have at least 200 lbs of tools------------everything from a spade to a 3 drawer toolbox to a cordless drill and bits.
Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.