cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

black tank odors solved

jsmart
Explorer
Explorer
Have had intermittent issues with black tank smells in the mohome after dumping the tank. Have done all the cleaning, rinsing, gestapo monitoring of the amount of h2o with each flush, etc. Finally bought a "cyclone" accessory for the black tank vent. Up on the roof to attach it but when I removed the factory cap (2002 itasca sunrise 32v) I found what initially looked like a wad of dried up toilet paper occluding 90% of the pipe. My initial thought was, that must have been a helluva flush to force it that high. When I pulled it out...it was an old dried up mud dauber nest. My guess is my tank odor problem is solved. Cyclone was unopened, so back to wally world and a refund.
2002 Itasca Sunrise 32V
12 REPLIES 12

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
I had a very similar issue with my Fleetwood Storm. When they went up to check the vent pipe they found it filled with roofing material and tape backing. Can you imagine how badly the roof installers at Fleetwood must have sucked to put their trash in there?
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
The sulfur smell is usually from the catalytic converter in the exhaust system of your V-10 engine. It could be that it is nearing the end of it's life or your engine is running a little rich.

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Last trip or two to the lake I've noticed that on the way home at the end of the trip I get the sulfur smell in the coach. No odor problems whatsoever with an empty tank, or while in the campground, only with a mostly full tank going home. (Our local lake is a state park without sewer hookups and I hate waiting in line at the dump site, so I travel the 30 minute trip home and use the sewer cleanout connection beside my driveway to dump my tanks. I always thoroughly rinse with the built-in rinser, and when done with that, I add 2 gallons of hot water mixed with Dawn detergent back to the black tank to sit until the next time. I also add one bottle of the enzyme liquid at the start of each trip.

What gives?
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

sssooo
Explorer
Explorer
In our rig, we get odors if any window is open when we drive. One window equals smell. Closed windows equals no smell

sounds like one of your P-traps is dry check your washing machine

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you solved your problem! I'm allergic to bees. I would have to hire someone to remove them.

wayneandylarson
Explorer
Explorer
In our rig, we get odors if any window is open when we drive. One window equals smell. Closed windows equals no smell.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer Limited
Workhorse with Chevy 8.1 rear engine
DW aka Sarge
Pet-free zone
Voy electric scooter "Scoot"

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kennyg wrote:
Can I steal this subject??? I get the black tank odor only when my class C is being driven and the toilet is flushed. NEVER happens when used while stopped. Is blockage in vent pipe a likely cause??

I have this same issue with my TT. Once I get to my destination, I will have an odor the first couple of times I flush. It settles down and goes away after awhile.
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kennyg wrote:
Can I steal this subject??? I get the black tank odor only when my class C is being driven and the toilet is flushed. NEVER happens when used while stopped. Is blockage in vent pipe a likely cause??

Since venting appears to works properly when parked I would say the vent is open but suspect the problem is air pressure in the tank or a negative pressure in the coach when moving. You can somewhat simulate a negative coach pressure (or positive tank pressure) next time your parked by closing all the windows and doors and turning on all the roofs fans to high exhaust. The fans are going to pull air from somewhere and when flushing you'll have an unrestricted direct line from the roof vent into the tank and up into the coach.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Kennyg
Explorer
Explorer
Kennyg

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Good job. I put my nylon knee-high stocking over the vents to keep out the mud daubers...LOL. Been doing that for 10 years. They need to be replaced every year though.

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good for you...detective. 🙂

Thanks for returning with your solution.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
I've got two still in the packages setting on my workbench. anyone need one ?
2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4
Guarded by 2 Jack Russells