cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buy a 2013 v10 MH or 2007 c-7 300hp?

tonyjean
Explorer
Explorer
We are newbies. But my husband really thinks the diesel is the way to go. I love the floor plan on the v10. I don't understand the engine lingo much. But need second opinion. Lol.

Is he right? Should we stick with the diesel? And if so why??
24 REPLIES 24

Peralko
Explorer
Explorer
Two points not touched on: While the cost of fuel may even out between gas and diesel, diesels typically have larger fuel tanks that give you a longer range. It is nice to not have to stop every 400 miles--we have a 158 gallon tank that gives us at least a 1000-mile range so we can pick the cheaper places to fuel. And we can still stop more often of we want.
The load capacity are usually much higher on diesels. I have seen new gas motorhomes with only 1,500 pound load capacity, and that will not include dealer-installed items or anything in the holding tanks.
Peralko
USAF Retired
2000 Prevost Marathon H3-45
2006 Nissan Maxima

ralbert3
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone has said it all. I wanted a nice motorcoach and DW was happy in our 32' 5th wheel. We could afford the coach and I know that we are only coming this way once. We both agreed that we had to both love what we were buying so that took two years of looking. We were only buying once so it had to be the right one. We found a one year old at the time 40' Allegro Bus that had been used once. It was everything we were looking for and after five years we are very pleased that we took our time and made the switch. Take your time and there are some great RVs out there that are priced right. I would buy again from a OBO. The higher the price the better they are kept normally. Good luck and enjoy your shopping. Rob
2007 Allegro Bus
2012 Equinox

richard_123
Explorer
Explorer
reply to tatest comments---------------very well said-----------that was our conclusion-------for 35ft, v10, and don't haul things that are not regularily needed.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
There's a lot more to the choice than "gas vs diesel" and probably more motorhomes to choose from than the two particular models you are considering.

First, how big does it need to be, to suit your needs? To some extent, the gas vs diesel choice is about size. Generally, diesel motorhomes are larger, so that choosing diesel means choosing larger, but there is some overlap, biggest gas motorhomes may be within a few hundred pounds of the smallest rear-engine diesel motorhomes.

The Ford motorhome chassis using the V-10 (E and F series) starts at 11,000 pounds maximum weight and 138" wheelbase, can be configured up to 12,000 pounds heavier and almost ten feet longer (wheelbase to 252"), carrying motorhomes from about 26 foot to 38 foot length. The engine is up front and the motorhome rides (sometimes harshly) on leaf springs. The F-53 chassis from Ford is nice for motorhomes 32 to 36 feet, up to about 22,000 pounds, but larger is pushing more at the limits of what can be carried.

The Freightliner XC chassis (the one that would have had the C-7 engine) is designed to carry larger motorhomes, 208" to 296" wheelbase, 26,000 to 34,000 pounds maximum weight. The engine is in the back where the noise is less intrusive, and the motorhome rides (usually smoothly) on air springs, like motorcoaches. The motorhomes on this size chassis are typically 34 to 40 foot long, though at 40 feet you are usually wanting a more powerful diesel engine.

Diesel motorhomes can be even larger, on other chassis series or built inside motorcoach shells, up to the maximum legal length of 45 foot, and weighing nearly 55,000 pounds. These carry a much more substantial house than can be built on a gas engine chassis that can't handle even half the weight.

So if what you want is a small motorhome (less than 34 foot), it is probably going to be a gas engine (today for a new one that means Ford, V-10 or in a really small one, V-8). Exception would be some newer small front-engine diesels about 25-26 feet long, under 12,000 pounds. If you want something 38 to 45 feet long, and over 12 tons, it will likely be a diesel. 34 to 40 feet, it can be either.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
Unless your husband is handy mechanically and is familiar with rv systems you are much better off with the brand new gssser if you like the floor plan. The coach should have a one year full bumper to bumper warranty. And the Ford drive train has a five year 50k mile warranty. A 6 year old rv might be a good buy or be a major head ache. Good deals can be had buying used but its buyer beware.
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. 🙂

the_silverback
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on what Willaid said. How many of you have had appliances wear out before the engine or drive train??? Most of us I think.
the silverback
2015 crossroads Rushmore 5th wheel

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are newbies and never RV'd before I would suggest you rent a few different class A MH and take a few trips for a few days in each. The money you spend will be more then saved if you do invest in a MH and then decide you don't like RV'ing. Or you don't like the floor plan after living in it for a while.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
tonyjean wrote:
We are newbies. But my husband really thinks the diesel is the way to go. I love the floor plan on the v10. I don't understand the engine lingo much. But need second opinion. Lol.

Is he right? Should we stick with the diesel? And if so why??

If you're looking at a unit with a C-7 Cat it has to be a few years old. Caterpillar no longer makes diesel engines for over the road vehicles. I don't know how many years they intend to support the existing over the road engines. You may want to contact a Cat dealer and get some input.

There have been some generalities forwarded about ride quality and towing capacity. However there are a number of older and entry level diesel models that don't have air suspension, and are limited to towing 5,000 lbs. Be sure to find out the specifics of any coach you are considering.

Before you make a decision drive each of them. We recently replaced our 2001 gas powered motorhome with a 2013 gas powered one. The noise and handling differences are remarkable. The newer one no longer has the mechaincal fan that roars when you work the engine. The interior is quiet enough to carry on a normal conversation, and it has great road manners. No wandering, no rough ride, and a world of difference when you step on the accelerator.

To be perfectly clear I am not against diesel powered motorhomes. I think the higher end models are great. However as mentioned earlier not all motorhomes are created equal. My preference would have been a diesel powered Winnebago Journey 34B. However we felt the size and floor plan of the Adventuere 32H better fit our needs.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

richard_123
Explorer
Explorer
have several Class "A" motorhomes over the past 10 years. There are several things mentioned ealier about DP, both pro's and con's. I just cannot affort the diesel that I feel mould be all my needs: ride, steering, vibration free seats, engine large enoung to pull my full size tahoe up any grade at the listed speed, slides that are smooth, solar, hydralic floor haeating, a real winter camping package(one that works, Leveling system that drops down--not lifts up, ateering that adjust for the crown in the road, seats that are fitted to the individualwith massage and ventalation------$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$-----but, I have finally settle with a 35z Winnebago Adventurer that I have taking many thingsout and added many things that has improved the liviability of the home. Other than the slide \s that being smooth and the inability to get to all the components for maintaince and no on board maintannence air---------the home has done very well over the last three years. My brother and I both Bought a 35Z Adventure(limited run of this model). It does have a Ford V10----one just needs to study the torgue and Hp charts and drive it in those ranges. The engine likes the 3000-4400 rpm range.----------Unit was a lot less expensive than the diesel-----------get a lot of traveling for the 2-300,000 diference.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a gas motorhome with the V-10 and also have a quality unit. You don't have to go to a diesel for quality. The quality of the unit and the layout that you want is more important, as well as how you will use it. We travel between north and south and sit at each place for 4-6 months, so a diesel would not be a justified expense for us. We also would not buy a new motorhome. To much depreciation the first couple of years. As we found with cars, you can get very nice used with low mileage for about 1/2 the cost and hey, the first owner will have the bugs worked out and repairs that were needed already done. Yes, new motorhomes do have bugs and do required repairs sometimes right away.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Get the diesel and you have zero warranty, on everything. Get the 2013 Gas unit and you have a warranty on everything.
You will not wear out either engine, so forget about mileage. If you read the forum very much, you will find that both diesels and gassers can have problems, so a warranty is important. You will also find that an extended warranty for a vehicle that is 6 years old is almost useless. The difference in total fuel costs and fuel mileage is so even that it is not worth mentioning.
Pick the floor plan that suits your needs. If you plan on towing a vehicle less than 5000 pounds, both will work just fine.
I've had DP's and gassers and right now I have a gasser. I put 15,000-20,000 miles per year on my coach and feel that it is the best choice for the way that we travel now.

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Let me see if I got this comparison straight:

With the diesel pusher, you're giving up having a new unit with full warranty, accepting six years of use, wear and tear on everything (coach, appliances, chassis/drivetrain, etc.), and taking on a drivetrain and chassis that costs more to own and maintain.

On top of that, and more important: You're accepting a floor plan that you (and most importantly, your wife) does not like as much as the gasser unit. The floorplan thing is significant, as you'll find out.

Oh, and don't forget, also with the DP, you may be required to get an extra endorsement on your driver's license or a different class of license in order to drive it. You will not with the gasser.

..All of that, just to have a quieter, better riding unit with a little more power when on the road? Sorry, I'm not seeing it.

I don't see where the better ride and power when on the road is worth giving up so many other things! Especially considering, like already said, most people spend waaaay more time parked than on the road, so the better floorplan carries much more 'weight' than ride quality.

My vote is for the gasser. They have come a loooooong way with the chassis, engine that gas MHs are now built on (Ford F53 V10 and 5 speed tranny). They handle and drive much better than they did several years ago.

Anyway, good luck whatever you chose. Probably best thing to do is test drive both, spend some time in both, and decide for yourself what is best for you and what you want, like. Just keep in mind, like already said: You're going to spend lots more time parked than on the road, so floorplan is really important.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
Either one is fine and I'm sure there are exceptions out there, but for the most part the DP will give you a heavier chassis, better ride and is quieter. The heavier chassis will typically be equipped with items like air ride suspension, larger fuel and water tanks, more slides, tile flooring, etc. All this makes the drive more comfortable and makes the RV feel more like home when you're "camped." Also, if you can maintain a gas vehicle, you can maintain a diesel (just larger parts and more fluids). You do need a floor plan that works for you and probably can find that in either type of rig.

Regarding the theory that you need to drive a zillion miles a year to justify the diesel, I don't necessarily agree. We only average about 4k miles/yr and do not see any negatives with the diesel. Good luck with your search.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy
CAT C7

charles
Explorer
Explorer
One thing not mentioned is with the V-10 you're getting a full warranty, most likely 12 months on the coach and 3 years or more on the Ford Chassis. Don't believe everything you hear about depreciation, I purchased a new Winnebago in 2011 and sold it this year for $6,000.00 less than I paid for it and I've done this several times over the years. When you sell a two year old unit, there is very little competition out there and buyers are most likely going to compare your price to a new one and you still have the balance of the chassis warranty as a selling point. If you're not trading in another RV there are a lot of deals out there on 2013 units now that the the 2014 models are coming out.

Nick
2019 Thor Chateau 22B