cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can I drop someone off at Phoenix Sky Harbor in my MH

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
I'm 13' 4" tall, 45 feet long and tow a Ford F150. I need to drop off my wife at Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport at terminal 2 in a couple of weeks. It would be much easier if I could drop her off using the Motorhome and continue on my way afterwards.

I've seen passenger busses and shuttles at PHX the couple of times I've flown out of there but I am not very familiar with the roadways. When I looked at my low bridge app, it said there is a 9 foot bridge at terminal 3 but I'm thinking that I don't need to go by terminal 3 anyway.

Does anyone know if my goal is possible?

On edit 01/21/14. I successfully, dropped off the family at terminal 2 this morning with only one minor problem. I decided to drop them off in between the shuttle busses where drop-offs are allowed rather than risk the inner lanes closest to the terminal. Although it worked flawlessly, a bus blocked me off right as I was leaving because he was trying to angle in front of me to park there. I waited about 90 seconds and he moved on. There was no danger of hitting anything overhead and all lanes were plenty wide enough for my 65 foot length. All merges were easily executed and the reduced speed at the airport helped as well.

As someone mentioned in the comments, there are several signs warning that the maximum height for vehicles is 14 feet tall.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`
29 REPLIES 29

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Like someone mentioned before, either find a parking lot and use the toad or go to the rental car terminal and drop her off. they buses run there all the time.

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sky Harbor's answer "RVs do it all the time". There are RVs (small van-type) and there are RVs like yours. It would be wise to call a cab, in my opinion.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Clearance under these signs appears to be a Big Secret: Clicky

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Jim and Mary 30+ wrote:
Here is the number for Sky Harbor parking (602) 273-4545. When I had to drop off family three years ago they were very helpful.
Thanks, I just called them and they said RVs do it all the time. It should be no problem. I'm still scared though.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
No problems with clearance, but some of the turns are pretty sharp on the exit portion. You will be able to drive by the terminal and drop her off by the doors, just don't plan on parking it there for more than a couple minutes.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
I did it about 20 years ago in a rented MH. I drove through where the courtesy vans do. A guard got pretty excited, but I pointed to my mother waiting in a wheelchair on the curb, and he helped me get to the curb for her. I'd probably not do that again.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

glamisorbust
Explorer II
Explorer II
I took my large toyhauler through there about 4 years ago. It was 13' tall and fit just fine through there.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 38'. Cummins ISB 275, allison 3060.
Toys pulled: 22x8.5 open deck PJ flatbed. 5200# axles. Sand car with ecotec engine. Multiple 1980's ATC's(3 wheelers). We're duners!

Outwest63
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the number for Sky Harbor parking (602) 273-4545. When I had to drop off family three years ago they were very helpful.

jandjbaums
Explorer
Explorer
Why cant you use the toad?
  • 07 Toyota Tacoma double cab
  • 2011 Stellar 18cb TH

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
mikey52 wrote:
There used to be a shuttle from the train station at 44th and Van Buren to the airport. You could drop her off at the station and she could ride the shuttle into the airport. It has been a couple of years since I used that route, by now one of the trains may run into the terminal, but that would keep you from having to go through the airport with the motorhome and get her to the terminal safely.

trains go to terminals now
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

mikey52
Explorer
Explorer
There used to be a shuttle from the train station at 44th and Van Buren to the airport. You could drop her off at the station and she could ride the shuttle into the airport. It has been a couple of years since I used that route, by now one of the trains may run into the terminal, but that would keep you from having to go through the airport with the motorhome and get her to the terminal safely.
2013 Discovery 40x
2016 GMC Canyon
2011 BMW R1200RT

ricklord2001
Explorer
Explorer
I'd also be concerned that they'd let an RV thru the airport. Since 9/11 there's all sorts of rules about stuff like that. Personally I'd find a Walmart close and call a cab. But I don't like driving a car thru the airport but then again I'm in Atlanta.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Did you call the airport?
2013 ACE 29.2

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
I use Sky Harbor all the time. I don't believe there are any low clearances on the main road through the airport that would preclude you from driving through. Remember that large sized buses drop off and pick up passengers there all day long. You might have a problem getting to the curb to drop them off, but as long as they don't mind walking a little bit, I think you would be okay. If you can't find a place to pull over, you could take gcloss's advice above.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

gcloss
Explorer
Explorer
I've to Phoenix Sky Harbor a few times. Not sure it is doable with.your rig. The airport has a very good car rental facility outside the airport with free shuttles to the terminals. You could probably drop off at the car rental facility and then they could take a free shuttle to the terminal.
2012 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 8' box
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE