cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class B+ question

SugarRV
Explorer
Explorer
I have started shopping for a Class B+ and it seems that the 2 most popular chassis are the Sprinter/diesel and the Ford/V10. I would like to hear pros and cons about both. I plan to do some mountain driving but I would not be towing anything.
16 REPLIES 16

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rolin wrote:
Wishes: 1. wish it had a softer ride, its on a E450 chassis, 2. wish it had a higher rear end ratio, don't tow and would like the increase in gas mileage, 3. wish it had more storage space, 4. wish it had more insulation under the passengers feet area as it gets quite toasty.

If the E450's rear diffential gear ratio is too low, then it can be the equivalent of "raised" the next time you put new tires on it. Just put tires on it with a larger diameter than what was on it. This raises the overall gearing ratio of the drive train just like having a higher ratio rear end does.

You get other bonuses from using larger diameter tires, too: Slightly better ride from a bigger "air filled balloon" being between the rims and the road, slightly improved tread wear, and higher ground clearance.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

vanGogh
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, I have one too. The Coachmen Concord is also a B+ that is optionally made on a Chevy 4500 chassis. This is the specific reason we just bought a new one. We also carefully looked at all 3 options and decided that the Chevy was much more comfortable to drive and ride in for us.

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
Snowman9000 wrote:
I don't know if OP is talking about new, but... Are there any B+'s made on a Chevy right now?

Yup... and I have one. The LTV Libero is on a Chevy...
Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
I quickly ruled out the Ford because I couldn't easily work my size 12 clodhoppers around the doghouse and had to get out of the truck and re-enter in the back just to get to the living area!
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
After speaking to a number of Sprinter MB owners I have learned two things: The mileage is often greatly exaggerated (13 to 15 yes, 18 or better in your dreams), and don't forget that diesel costs significantly more.

Second if you are going to pull a toad stay out of the mountains as they lack the power of the big block gassers. The last guy I talked to pulled a small jeep four down and he said 6% grades are 35 to 45 with the flashers on.... :E

Don't get me wrong, I think the MB diesel is one hell of a motor but less than 200 HP is not a lot. Folks don't buy them to save money as the initial cost is around $20,000+ more than a comparable gasser and you will never save that in fuel.

As always.... Opinions and YMMV. :C

Rolin
Explorer
Explorer
We passed on the Sprinter based motorhome...just couldn't afford it. If you have the money then I think they are great.

Class C:
First Motorhome was a Jayco class c on a Chevy chassis. Liked the driving, better gas mileage than the Ford, better foot room for passenger and driver, floor does not get as hot in the Summer when mountain driving. Great value.

Changed to a used B+
Wanted a fiberglass roof, better aerodynamics, less than 8ft wide, and less than 11ft tall. The only used Chevy based B+ in our price range at the time did not have the floor plan we wanted. Finally found a 26ft Winnebago Aspect which is on the Ford chassis. We heard horror stories about Ford handling but ours drives better than the Chevy based C. Either the previous owner installed a lot of handling upgrades or Winnebago made those upgrades standard on our unit. It drives great.

Some day we may find a used Sprinter in our price range, but for now the Ford B+ works great for us.

Wishes: 1. wish it had a softer ride, its on a E450 chassis, 2. wish it had a higher rear end ratio, don't tow and would like the increase in gas mileage, 3. wish it had more storage space, 4. wish it had more insulation under the passengers feet area as it gets quite toasty.

Likes: quiet, comfortable, plenty of power, 5 speed transmission, easy to heat and cool, fits most any place we want to go so don't need to pull a toad, easy to drive, feels very solid.

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
Last fall we bought a Phoenix Cruiser 2350 with the Ford 350 chassis. We looked extensively for two years and really liked the MB chassis but declined to buy one because of availablity of service.

In a New Mexico campground last summer I met a guy who had the MB chassis on his unit. He told me he broke down once in western Kansas and had to be hauled back to Kansas City (well over 200 miles) for repairs. I looked at the MB webpage and the map of the service centers. In the Southwest, one in Albuquerque, one in Denver, one in Kansas City.

Where I live (Oklahoma) we have two in the state: one in Oklahoma City and one in Tulsa. Both are Freightliner places. Something told me I would be low man on the totem pole with my RV at Freightliner when they have service contracts with fleets and they are full of cross country rigs for service.

Chevy or Ford? Less than five miles from my house and in practically every county seat in the US. So, good old Ford it was for us. Not many B+ units have the Chevy available. I have owned both in the past and find both very durable, serviceable and sufficient for our needs.

PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
Moved to Class C from CVC.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Chevy (well GM) has a 4500 model Express cutaway chassis. The advantage of that is that it has a smaller doghouse compared to the Ford... but it moves the engine out more, so the vehicle is about a foot longer. I don't see many motorhomes on this chassis except the smaller ones, but since Ford is going to phase out the Econoline chassis soon, it might be a chassis that will be the mainstay for the larger "C" models.

Of course, Chevy offerings tend to not change much from year to year, so there tends not to be surprises introduced in a new model year for the most part.

Shearwater
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure whether you are asking about a B+ or a B. B+'s are actually C's without a cabover bed.

The pluses and minuses described by other posters are more or less correct. We chose a Sprinter B primarily because the floor plans available with the Sprinter chassis fit our needs better.
Advanced RV Sprinter

BudJ
Explorer
Explorer
Mr Snowman,

Sure, one example:

http://www.leisurevans.com/libero/

and another:

http://chateau-rv.com/

Me, I'm a B only fellow.

Bud

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Our Aspect is on the Ford E-450 chassis.
So far has been treating us well.
Has manages the west cost hills very well.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if OP is talking about new, but... Are there any B+'s made on a Chevy right now? I know there are several C's on Chevy's, but I'm drawing a blank on any new B+'s. FWIW, we loved driving our 2005 Trail Lite B+ on the Chevy.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

BudJ
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with the Chevrolet.

Less expense than a Sprinter, period - over however many miles. Better handling than a the Ford, etc. No Brainer, the Chevrolet.

Bud