cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cruise Control for Mercedes 6cyl Diesel

HardyC
Explorer
Explorer
I am having no luck finding someone to install cruise control on my 2008 Gulfstream Mini Vista Cruiser with the 154hp Mercedes 6cyl Diesel. Even the Mercedes dealers won't tackle it. I've called several Mercedes shops in the Bay Area and they either say they can't or their shop won't accommodate working on a Sprinter.

Anyone know of anyone who has retrofitted a cruise control on the Mercedes engine on my type of Sprinter RV???
Hardy Childers
2008 Vista Cruiser Mini 8231
10 REPLIES 10

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
The 2008 Mini Cruiser brochure doesn't make any mention of a cruise control in the driver/chassis features. I guess Gulfstream chose to order the chassis without it.

OP might want to read the last post of this short thread on the Sprinter Forum.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24829

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
wonder why? my sprinter is a 2007 on the 3500 chassis and I have cruise,from the factory.

My '08 does also.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:
Then there's the first timer who sued Winnebago because cruise control didn't steer the coach when the driver got up to use the bathroom.

That was one of the Darwin Award winners.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
derh20 wrote:
A bit off subject, but here is a thought. If a medical emergency would occur while on cruise control, the vehicle would continue at the speed set but without a driver and that could be very dangerous to the driver and others on the road. Again, just something to think about.

And without cruise control, it would continue at whatever speed is dictated by the weight of the driver's foot on the accelerator pedal. Any medical emergency (or other incapacitating event, like falling asleep) involving the driver of a vehicle is a pretty dangerous situation, cruise control or none.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Then there's the first timer who sued Winnebago because cruise control didn't steer the coach when the driver got up to use the bathroom.

Back on task, I wonder if a shop that customizes vehicles, could install an aftermarket unit as mentioned above that would do the job without a lot of invasion of the OEM electronics. We have one in town that does stereo, custom bucket seats, window tint, bed liners and ... some of which is cruise controls.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
A bit off subject, but here is a thought. If a medical emergency would occur while on cruise control, the vehicle would continue at the speed set but without a driver and that could be very dangerous to the driver and others on the road. Again, just something to think about.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago when cruse control first came out I put one on my E-150 van. Not diesel. The sensor went on the drive shaft right behind the transmission.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
wonder why? my sprinter is a 2007 on the 3500 chassis and I have cruise,from the factory.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Best place to post this is on the NVC3 talk forum on

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=105

Be sure to identify what year CHASSIS you have (most likely 2007) and whether it is a Freightliner or Dodge branded chassis.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Might have better luck/responses at Gulf Stream RV Forum
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31