cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dash mounted aftermarket GPS

bmwrider1946
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have a dash mounted aftermarket GPS in their Class C? I am wondering if there are reception problems if you have a significant overhang due to the bed over cab.
18 REPLIES 18

Rovin__Bones
Explorer
Explorer
mountainsam wrote:
The issue I have always had is no-one makes a decent mount for a GPS

Nobody? Have you looked at RAM Mounts?
1983 24' Midas Freeport. Chevy 350 mated to a TH400 transmission on a GM G30 chassis and a spiffy Onan 4kw genset.

!*NEW Blog page*!
Rovin' Bones

mountainsam
Explorer
Explorer
I have had 4 GPSs over the years and they all have worked anywhere near the windshield. Sometimes I will just turn it on for a quick refresher of the route and then set it down on the console and it works great. The issue I have always had is no-one makes a decent mount for a GPS
2017 Thor Gemini 23TR w/ 3.2 Power Stroke turbo diesel
2014 Ram 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed 4X4 6 Speed Auto (sold)
2013 Rockwood Signature 8281 WS w/Sidewinder Pin (sold)
DW and Sofie our Black Lab /Boxer and Phoebe our Schnoodle

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
ronfisherman wrote:
We have 2 Garmin Dezl 560 GPS setting on the dash. Both work with no problems.
Wife uses uses second one to find other routes while traveling.

What a great idea! Thanks.

It seems we need my wife to look for things on the GPS at all the times that it is critical I have it for driving. She is also going to throw out her back reaching across the dash.

We're using a Nuvi from about 8 years ago. It did not have lifetime maps. We've run into confusion 4-5 times in the last 15k miles of RV trips. Not worth spending money on. Usually, the phone will clarify our confusion.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I run our old Magellan RoadMate suction cupped high on the windshield, so it's well shaded by the full bunk overhang. I've had to lay it on the dash to find signal at startup, but once it wakes up it's fine. I can run all day and not have it lose its orientation.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
I'd get a Nuvi. Bought myself a Dezi rv760lmt for Xmas and I'm not very happy with it. The voice command feature is the only redeeming feature.

I can't see anyone driving a truck or class a following the route the dezi lays down. It takes every side road or dirt road it can find, even two tracks, despite having those set to avoid.

Most GPS units can be set for various routing options, like shortest distance, shortest time, etc. Often the "shortest distance" one will choose back roads since they do minimize the mileage. Quickest route (or shortest time or whatever it is called) is often saner.

Like I said, despite any setting or mode it routes me on the worst roads. Perhaps my unit is defective.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Livies_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Tom Tom that I have used for over 6 yrs and mounted on the
dash. Never any reception problems.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
GordonThree wrote:
I'd get a Nuvi. Bought myself a Dezi rv760lmt for Xmas and I'm not very happy with it. The voice command feature is the only redeeming feature.

I can't see anyone driving a truck or class a following the route the dezi lays down. It takes every side road or dirt road it can find, even two tracks, despite having those set to avoid.

Most GPS units can be set for various routing options, like shortest distance, shortest time, etc. Often the "shortest distance" one will choose back roads since they do minimize the mileage. Quickest route (or shortest time or whatever it is called) is often saner.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like some of the others I would go with the Garmin Nuvi,I have had no problems with it mounted on the dash of my Class C.

This one works very well I found that the suction cup mount just didn't cut it for me so I went with a Mount like this I like the way it molds to the dash no matter where I put it and it stays there,also folds for easy storage.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
The only reception issues I've had is when I mounted my dash cam too close to the GPS. Can't have both in the center of the windshield.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use a Magellan GPS that I have mounted via suction cup mount at the top of the windshield, up against the cabover. No noticeable reception difficulties thus far, and I do not expect any in the future.

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
We have an older Garmin 1300 or 13500 Nuvi... something like that, and yes
often times it does not work well in our C. Keep posting on those that work well, we are maybe due for an upgrade. Sometimes it depends on how many satellites your pinging off of.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use a Garmin Nuvi navigator with free lifetime map updates. Several after-market ways for dash use of the Garmin Nuvi navigation units are availabe from Internet sources ... such as non-slip bases, suction cups, air vent clips, etc..

We like this approach because we can then use this same Garmin navigator in the motorhome, the pickup, or our sedan. Cellular service is not required for the Garmin because it's map database is stored internally, while your vehicle location is determined from satellites. It's been an outstanding navigation unit for our RV, including off-pavement use in the desert where there often is no cellular service. We supplement the Garmin with large format state-by-state Benchmark map atlases, which are ultra detailed because each atlas covers only one state.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

bmwrider1946
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the replies. This helps a lot.