cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

decal removal

hungryjack
Explorer
Explorer
looking for the easiest method to remove original grahics (decals)from fiberglass rv. currently using the hairdryer/blade method. very time consuming with low productivity
15 REPLIES 15

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
A few years back, I removed all the decals from our 04 Sandpiper fifthwheel then repainted the design back on. I found that using my daughters wallpaper steamer made short work of most of them.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you use a heat gun, keep the heat low and use it just long enough to soften the decal. Too much heat can affect the glue used in the construction process and lead to the sidewall becoming delaminated. A hair dryer works the best, and is the safest for decal removal. It is not an easy process but they can be removed, usually in pieces.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did the heat gun method on one side of the coach a few years back. It was a job. Took several days. Started the other side yesterday with a WHEEL. Much easier, cleaner and quicker.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Deano56
Explorer
Explorer
i used the wheels but go thru them fast, cheaper to buy a steamer and is faster

Deano56
Explorer
Explorer
get a decent steamer, then use orange cleaner, that what a body shop would do

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
Plus 1 on the Eraser/Wheel in a drill.

Depending on the age of the stickers heating them might not be viable.

I had some very stubborn stickers the body panel covers at my fuel tanks (under my doors) - i was able to remove SOME of the sticker but the glue remained behind, no amount of goo gone or aero paint prep would touch the glue.

a few minute w/ the Eraser Wheel in an electric drill and the glue was gone & the paint looking like new !
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

sjholt
Explorer
Explorer
If you are still having problems removing the decals try this:

http://crystaltek.us.com/crystaltek-vinyl-off.htm

I had to use this with heat and plastic razor blades to get the 19 year old decals off. Oh ya- it also takes time too!
Skip
1996 32' Monaco Windsor DP
Cummins 5.9L 230+ HP
5 Airbags in front- 4 in back

19D20
Explorer
Explorer
Heat gun and sharpened credit card. (Drag a old credit card through one of those "V" shaped or a multi disc sharpeners) Less chance to scratch the paint/gel. I see Amazon has plastic single edge razor blades now.

Joe R.
SW Washington

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
I used a hand held garment steamer and it helped loosen up the decal. Pull up on it slowly.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Try searching this Forum for `decal' then search the results for `remove' or `removal'. It's been discussed previously.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

draboo
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
I used the WHEEL to get them off.

Yep,works great. I went to a automotive specific paint shop and found them for about 10 bucks each.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Skip the hair drier and use a real heat gun. Hold it about 8~10" away and keep a steady pressure. You'll feel the heat doing the job. Don't hold it too close or the decals will tear off in small sticky pieces.
They come off surprisingly fast if you use this method and it leaves almost no adhesive behind. In fact it really only leaves it where you start and stop for the most part.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used the WHEEL to get them off.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
WD40 helps in removing adhesive residue.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption