cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you flash people?

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
A while ago, I noticed that truckers often flash their headlights when a vehicle has signaled that they want to change into their lane and they have passed the truck. I'm assuming this meant, go ahead and change lanes now. I hope it doesn't mean, "By no means should you change lanes now."

This turned out to be pretty useful for me when I first started driving my motorhome. I was new to Class As and it was nice to have confirmation that I could safely switch lanes so I began to do it myself whenever I saw someone with their turn indicator on as they were passing me.

The next thing I noticed was that some of the truckers I had flashed were flashing their brake / parking lights at me. I'm assuming to say thanks. Again, I hope it means that.

I liked the gesture but I couldn't figure out how to flash my brake / parking lights to say thanks to those who signaled me. I tried tapping the brakes, but that would slow me down and take me out of cruise mode and I even tried turning on and off my headlights, but I'd end up flashing my headlights and I didn't want to do that so I gave up.

Then I got my diesel pusher and, lo and behold, there were two buttons on the steering wheel. One on the left for flashing my headlights and one on the right for flashing my brake / parking lights. (Imagine the hallelujah chorus at this point)

I had no idea that there were dedicated buttons for this on big rigs. So my question to all of you is, do you flash people?

(Keep it clean guys, I'm talking about lights here.)
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`
46 REPLIES 46

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
trucks have a momentary OFF switch that allows them to "blink" their marker lights (with out turning off their headlights).

Our coach has the same switch (because it's basically a class 8 truck).
Newer trucks & Coachs have the marker light / flash switch mounted on the steering wheel.

rarely do trucks flash to let anyone in any more - probably too many foreign drivers who don't know how to be courteous.

I usually thank anyone that lets me in, via a flash or a verbal "thanks" on the cb.
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

Sooner_Schooner
Explorer
Explorer
Our coach has the ICC Flash switch to thank people, check to see if you have one. When we had our 5th wheel I would just hit my emergency flasher button on the pickup to say thank you.
2008 Damon Tuscany 4076 40' Diesel Pusher

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
hanko wrote:
I would say the vast majority of truckers dont like RV's of any type, they think that they are the only people that know how to drive and that RV'ers are a pain. Listen to the CB especially at night or when one slows them down. Once and a while ILL get a trucker that clears me back in but not often.

Unfortunately hanko, I'm sorry to say that I have gotten the same impression. Many times the commentary I hear on the CB is ridiculous. According to some truckers, you would think that the Interstate Highway System should be intended solely for their use, and any use by any vehicle aside from tractor trailers should be prohibited! (Can you imagine what their tolls would be without the rest of us kicking-in?) Nonetheless, I still continue to extend the necessary courtesy's to all truckers and commercial drivers, fully realizing that it's unlikely that I'll receive it in return. I use the ICC button on my control panel although I have used the hazard flashers on occasion for "thanks".
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
I always "courtesy flash" trucks back in after they've passed me. A good amount of the times, I receive the "thank you" flash back, but unfortunately not always.

On the other hand, it's very rare that I receive a courtesy flash from truckers. In fact, I've gotten to the point that I'm surprised when they do.
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
SuzzeeeQ2012 wrote:
A question. A truck driver with experience...doesn't he KNOW by looking at the mirrors when to go back over?

:h
It can get difficult to judge distance when your pulling doubles or triples especially in the Pacific Northwest in the gloomy weather rain, fog and darkness.

cross_country
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, at night, flip the headlights off. Day time if necessary, high beams flipped on and off. Most appreciated by truckers passing truckers and trying to get "back in" fast to let the trucker behind him by without him losing momentum and having to down shift. Can take miles for trucks to regain speed once slowed on a grade.

Use to use a turn signal , 2 quick flashes when flashed in, now have clearance lights on there own switch

Don't do it all the time, it is not necessary, but it is fun watching for the trucker to lean ahead and look out that mirror and then dip your lights. Gives all concerned something pleasant to think about in the middle of the night.

Mary and Tom '86 Crosscountry Sportscoach
2000 Foretravel U320 4210

SuzzeeeQ2012
Explorer
Explorer
fcooper wrote:
SuzzeeeQ2012 wrote:
A question. A truck driver with experience...doesn't he KNOW by looking at the mirrors when to go back over?

Yes, but your signal at least lets the driver know that you are now expecting the move back into the right lane. The signal gets even more helpful to the driver passing you in poor weather when the view in the outside mirrors becomes distorted due to heavy rain, etc.

Some truckers trying to pass are running at the top governed speed for their unit, and may be holding up traffic. If you are willing to have him return to your lane a little quicker than normal to help clear the traffic behind him, the signal works for this also.

Of course some drivers will ignore your signal anyway.

I rarely use the signal in daylight dry conditions, but will consistently signal at night and in rain.

Fred
that makes sense ๐Ÿ™‚
1997 HR Endeavor Turbo Diesel

FC
Explorer
Explorer
Our motorhome has the Icc switch and I try to use it when trucks pass.
2003 Georgetown 346DS Ford F-53
2008 Pontiac G6 Toad, Blue Ox Aventa LX
Vice President Operations Family Campers & RVers
www.fcrv.org

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
SuzzeeeQ2012 wrote:

Yes, but your signal at least lets the driver know that you are now expecting the move back into the right lane. The signal gets even more helpful to the driver passing you in poor weather when the view in the outside mirrors becomes distorted due to heavy rain, etc.

Some truckers trying to pass are running at the top governed speed for their unit, and may be holding up traffic. If you are willing to have him return to your lane a little quicker than normal to help clear the traffic behind him, the signal works for this also.

Of course some drivers will ignore your signal anyway.

I rarely use the signal in daylight dry conditions, but will consistently signal at night and in rain.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

P_Kennedy
Explorer
Explorer
So this whole light flashing/blinking deal started many moons ago when big trucks had a lot less power and the average road was 2 lanes not 4. If and when a bigrig could pass it was advantageous for the driver to know exactly when to move back into the proper lane usually due to possible oncoming traffic. Dipping the headlights was "clear to come back" and blinking the clearance lights was thanks for the break. Doesn't he know how long his rig is usually but at night or in the rain or snow it can be iffy. Also we are in such a hurry anymore to return to the right lane we don't give a good distance to move back over properly. Generally if you don't mover over right away some wonderful jerk cuts to the right beside you to pass on your blind side. Now we flash our high beams blinding the driver ahead because the OEM flasher designed for European passing is used instead of dipping the lights. Also having daytime running lights complicates things with the high beams on at reduced amperage on a lot of vehicles to accomplish this. Personally when RVing I prefer they just pay attention to the road and I will choose when to pull back in on multi-lane roads.
2007 Triple E 305RL
2007 Dodge C&C 9' Falcan Deck

SuzzeeeQ2012
Explorer
Explorer

1997 HR Endeavor Turbo Diesel

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis M M wrote:
I always flash trucks and other trailers back in. At night I flip the lights off instead of high beams. When someone flashes me in during the day I hit the 4 ways for 3 or 4 flashes, at night I can flash the trailer lights as the Volvo has a switch to do so.

Some trucking companies frown on their drivers flashing, insurance company paranoia I guess. That is one reason it is done less these days.

I flashed an ambulance back in one night and he activated every light he had as a thank you - serious flash!
So, if a cop hits all his lights flashing, what would that mean.:h

derouen6
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using my right turn signal to indicate it is clear to merge back in front of me. Guess I will change that.

Sherry

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
Its called the ICC light switch on my rig.

Flashes clearance lights and low beam on if headlights turned off.

Flashes high beam to low beam and clearance lights if headlights are turned on.

Turns off clearance lights only, if low beams are on.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC