cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't Buy and Old Motorhome Unless...

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you know exactly what it needs in repairs, replacements and upgrades for safe and reliable driving and enjoyment, and you have the money to pay for parts and labor (or) you have all the skills, tools, materials and time and work space to do most of the work yourself. Look for any signs of water damage, mold smell, etc. Don't rely on the seller's honesty, have the rig inspected by a pro truck mechanic and an RV repair service and get estimates before you buy it. If the seller balks at this, run!! Don't buy on impulse. Try to make sure that the length, floor plan and features, including sleeping arrangements fits your forseable needs and desires. If possible, save your money until you can buy a rig no more than 3 years old, needs nothing, and is ready for cross-country travel. Cost of ownership of an RV is not cheap, do not buy on impulse. Do your homework before you buy.

I will not repeat this same mantra again.
45 REPLIES 45

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Don't Buy and Old Motorhome Unless..
You know how to evaluate the rig thoroughly! You must be knowledgeable enough to identify and quantify any problems and pitfalls.
If you are not familiar or capable of evaluating a used rig it would be worthwhile in the long run to find someone that is knowledgeable.
If you are on a tight budget you need to be capable enough to complete any needed repairs yourself.
Finally most any type used vehicle will require some initial repairs and maintenance. You should have some reserve $$$ budgeted for those initial repairs.

If you are not prepared to take the above approach, you should consider buying a new rig that will come with a warranty and after the sale customer care/service.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

HeeHawHoney
Explorer
Explorer
We bought ours as a older unit and did discover that it needed a few minor repairs and a little updating. The brass fixture in the bathroom were in need of replacement and the hot water heater did not heat on electric. BF was able to fix both of these problems, and the dealer tried to tell me it would be about $250 to fix it at his shop. We were able to get it done for around $45 including shipping. Also, I was very disappointed to find out that the oil and the air filter were black as coal when BF first looked at it. That has all been changed, including the oil in the generator. I hope we don't encounter any future problems due to that. I believe we've got a good one, and I pray I don't wind up eating my words, but I am tickled to death with my purchase.
"The Hilton"
2002 Jayco 3100SS
Brett and Tracy and Bella (The Beautiful Bulldog)
My Blog - Alabama Overdrive
Pic of "The Hilton"
Pic of "The Beautiful Bulldog"
Pic of Brett and Tracy

happybooker1
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe wrote:
If you buy a used MH, expect to pay for parts and repair it yourself or pay someone else to do it. On the other hand, if you buy new, expect to pay for parts and do it yourself or pay someone else to do it. 🙂

:B Like!!
2008 Tacoma Extended Cab
2009 Keystone Hideout 19FLB
Andersen "No Sway" "No Bounce" WDH

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
My first motorhome was an 86 minnie winnie from the original owner. I purchased in 07 so it was 21 years old. This guy took care of his stuff. He even put new tires on it because he would feel bad if a family had problems with the old tires.

It cost 6K when I bought it and I had no issues until I decided to buy a newer bigger rig.

If I followed your advice I might still mot have an RV.

My point is to make sure you interview the seller and pass on anything you are not comfortable with. Do not be afraid of an old unit if it was cared for.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
If you buy a used MH, expect to pay for parts and repair it yourself or pay someone else to do it. On the other hand, if you buy new, expect to pay for parts and do it yourself or pay someone else to do it. 🙂
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don't buy an older home unless.........

Don't buy a used car unless.........

Don't buy a used table saw unless......

Don't buy a used, well you get the point.......Don't be a stupid buyer.
And that includes NEW
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with your mantra but I think the 3 year old rule is a little stringent. With RV's I'll consider 10 years because I have personally seen 'many' really nice older RV's.

I also was privy to be at the same CG at the same time there was a Bluebird Rally and I am here to tell you I would have given my eye teeth to own one of those, circa 70's! :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
When we bought our 1986 three years ago we made sure that is was not a leaker and that everything was functioning and we liked the floor plan. Yes we spent money on some mechanical repairs and a new set of tires as soon as we bought and we have had some repairs that needed to be done in the last three years. In the three years we have had it I can not even begin to list all the trips we have made in state along with one trip to Yellowstone and another one to St. Louis. If we had purchased a new RV comparable to what we have the deprecation, the difference in insurance, the higher licensing fees for the last three years would be more than what we have invested. And it would be close to the same for a 3 to 5 year old unit.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Go_Dawgs1
Explorer
Explorer
Thats all well and good if you have the money to buy new or nearly new. As WC Fields was quoted saying, "There's a sucker born every minute." When we bought our first TT we didn't know alot about them. We did know some basics and we bought low knowing we would put some money into it. We owned it for a year, DW didn't like the towing experience, and sold it for what we had into it. We bought an 87 Allegro and put about $3000 into and used it for 2+ years. Like any used vehicle we went through it and repaired or replaced what was needed and enjoyed it. I would not have hesitated to take it anywhere in the US, except that it ate gas like a hog (5.5 mph). That was why we sold it. We sold it to our good friends who were looking for an entry level coach that they could go camping in and it fit their budget. They love it and they know how good the coach is.

We now have an 03 Chateau Sport that has 49k miles and we have put about $500 into repairs and fluid changes. That doesn't include my time to peel the caulking off all the seams and resealing it. The dealer wanted $5000 to do that and the roof. I said no thanks and I'll take responsiblity for the repairs. Saved over $7000 on the purchase and we are very happy with it. Leaving in 7 weeks for our summer adventure of 5200 miles and 8 states.
2004 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 Dually
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
Some people have to buy used Rv's as they don't have 250-350 thousand for as new one that depreciates 50 thousand instantly.....

we take a chance when we buy, using our knowledge if its a good one or not when we hand the money over.

But I would rather spend a few bucks here and there for repairs, not have a monthly payment for 20 years, and have a new coach that has many issues too.

Just my opinion, and bash all you want, I am tough!
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

sh410
Explorer
Explorer
Got to love the logic that takes a personal experience and applies that to everyones experience.

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
I have a friend who always buys fairly used cars. He always figures to put into the car an amount of money equal to what he paid for the car. So, if he finds a car for $2,500, he figures on spending $5,000. Since I met him, I have used the technique and it seems to work out pretty well. My 1988 motor home was 19 years old when I bought it. I have put into it an amount about equal to what I paid for it and feel comfortable taking off on a cross country trip in June.
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
You are correct. But experiences differ. Our 88 was 10 years old when we bought it. Still love it ans still use it and everything works. We have a tiny leak in the old R-12 ac but we have a supply so all is good.
2020 Braxton Creek 24fb travel trailer

Altern
Explorer
Explorer
Bordercollie wrote:
save your money until you can buy a rig no more than 3 years old
Aw shoot. I was just about to buy a 4 year old immaculate Newell. 😞

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
Good advice. 🙂 I have to admit I did not know what was meant by "mantra". Google turned up one definition as "a commonly repeated word or phrase". Thank you.