cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Economy mode on an Allison Transmission

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know if there is any benefit to turning on Economy mode while using cruise control on a highway? If I've got the cruise control turned on at 64 miles per hour, will economy mode help?

What about after I've had to slow down for a vehicle in front of me? Will economy mode make a difference vs. the cruise controls acceleration?

Is economy mode better for city driving?
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`
45 REPLIES 45

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
oldmattb wrote:
Can't the mode button be programmed to do a variety of things?

Matt B

I have a friend that is a Allison tech and he says that it can be programmed to do different things. They can change the programming at an Allison shop or maybe other places.
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder C-12 505HP
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
"msturtz"....I suspect the mpg you are seeing is from filling your tank on an angle, different station, changing road conditions and possibly speed. The Economy MODE does NOTHING for flatland towing. Even at it's best, the most you would ever see is maybe a .5 mpg increase and that would be on a rare occasion.

To truly get your average mpg on a motor home, you have to average fill ups over several thousand miles.

I was using the vehicle computer for average economy. I reset it and drove the trip. Then I repeated the process for a longer trip. The longer trip had more hills so it wasn't a perfect comparison. From the vehicle computer it seems that does make a difference. Oh and the terrain wasn't completely flat there were overpasses.
FMCA member

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
We were told at the Cummins Rally that you should use the Economy mode even if you have the cruise control on. We found that it shifts smoother. The only time we take it off economy mode is when we're in really steep grades.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
Received a Private Message asking for an explanation-- this from an article I wrote for the FMCA magazine several years ago:

ALLISON TRANSMISSION MODE BUTTON

BY BRETT WOLFE, F252125

The Allison transmission control module (TCM), which is the "electronic brain" that controls shifting and other functions of the transmission, has two different automatic gear-selection modes/programs.

In Economy Mode, the transmission will not downshift even at wide-open throttle until the engine pulls down to peak torque rpm in some applications and 200 rpm lower than Performance Mode in others. In Performance Mode, the transmission will downshift much earlier to maintain higher engine rpm.

Only at higher throttle positions is there any difference, so on flat ground you will not notice any variation between the two modes, except when accelerating from a stop if you are at or close to wide-open throttle.

However, mode selection can make a big difference when traveling over rolling hills. If you drive in such areas while in Performance Mode (particularly with the cruise control on), it is common for the transmission to shift down to fifth gear on the uphill and back to sixth gear on the downhill, repeating this process hundreds of times. In Economy Mode, the transmission will stay in sixth gear unless the hill is so steep or so long that the engine cannot pull it without dropping below peak torque rpm. According to engine manufacturers, the most economical way to climb a hill with a modern turbocharged diesel engine (any brand) is in a higher gear (lower engine rpm), provided the engine doesn’t overheat.

If, while driving in Economy Mode, you know you will need a lower gear because of the steepness of the grade and/or the engine temperature is rising higher than the thermostatically controlled temperature, use the down arrow to drop a gear (this is what I do) or switch out of Economy Mode. Be sure to switch back into Economy Mode when past the steep section or you will be stopping at a service station for fuel sooner than you expected.

While you are driving in hilly terrain, if your engine begins to overheat, the engine’s horsepower-to-weight ratio is low, or it irritates you to lose a few mph in the name of saving fuel, by all means drive in Performance Mode.

It confuses me to hear people advocate driving in Economy Mode only on flat ground, as there is not 1 percent difference in shift rpm between Performance and Economy modes on flat ground, except when accelerating from a stop if you use wide-open throttle.

Every time you start the motorhome, the transmission is in Performance Mode. This is the default setting. If you push the mode button, it goes to Economy Mode and the light illuminates.

There is no absolute number that can be given to illustrate the difference in fuel economy that will result when driving in Economy Mode. On flat ground where you will be in sixth gear no matter what mode you are in, there will be zero difference. The most significant difference in mileage will occur in rolling hills, where in Performance Mode, particularly if on cruise control, you will start up a hill in sixth gear, go to wide-open throttle in that gear, and downshift to fifth gear still at wide-open throttle, where it is using a lot more fuel. After the hill is crested, the transmission will upshift to sixth, then likely coast a little in that gear unless you are driving with the exhaust brake on. If you are, the exhaust brake will be applied and the transmission will downshift toward the preselected gear, which is generally either second gear or fourth gear. And so the process will continue, with the transmission shifting up to sixth gear on the downhill, back down to fifth gear on the uphill, etc. The problem with this is that a modern turbocharged diesel engine is much more efficient at low rpm with high throttle settings.

Note: In either mode, you are free to use the up and down arrows to proactively choose the correct gear. You cannot screw anything up, even if you downshift to first gear at 70 mph. The transmission circuitry understands that you want to downshift to the next lower gear as soon as the engine rpm will not exceed the preset amount. Then it will downshift again when safe.

By the same token, you can shift between Performance and Economy modes as often as you want with the transmission in any gear when you make the change.

I drive in Economy Mode 99 percent of the time, including in the mountains. I use the up and down shifting arrows to choose the proper gear. I use Performance Mode only to pass another vehicle on a two-lane road, when I am willing to sacrifice a little fuel economy to gain a short-term burst of speed.

Thanks for the detail explanation.

Globetrotter
Explorer
Explorer
Totally concur with bluwtr49 & fcooper.
We just finished a 2400 mile trip and used "economy" mode 95% of the time as I always do. I only take it off if I need greater acceleration such as merging/passing or a strong grade to climb.
In the econo mode it holds it nicely on mild hills.
Love the setup.
Dave

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Received a Private Message asking for an explanation-- this from an article I wrote for the FMCA magazine several years ago:

ALLISON TRANSMISSION MODE BUTTON

BY BRETT WOLFE, F252125

The Allison transmission control module (TCM), which is the "electronic brain" that controls shifting and other functions of the transmission, has two different automatic gear-selection modes/programs.

In Economy Mode, the transmission will not downshift even at wide-open throttle until the engine pulls down to peak torque rpm in some applications and 200 rpm lower than Performance Mode in others. In Performance Mode, the transmission will downshift much earlier to maintain higher engine rpm.

Only at higher throttle positions is there any difference, so on flat ground you will not notice any variation between the two modes, except when accelerating from a stop if you are at or close to wide-open throttle.

However, mode selection can make a big difference when traveling over rolling hills. If you drive in such areas while in Performance Mode (particularly with the cruise control on), it is common for the transmission to shift down to fifth gear on the uphill and back to sixth gear on the downhill, repeating this process hundreds of times. In Economy Mode, the transmission will stay in sixth gear unless the hill is so steep or so long that the engine cannot pull it without dropping below peak torque rpm. According to engine manufacturers, the most economical way to climb a hill with a modern turbocharged diesel engine (any brand) is in a higher gear (lower engine rpm), provided the engine doesn’t overheat.

If, while driving in Economy Mode, you know you will need a lower gear because of the steepness of the grade and/or the engine temperature is rising higher than the thermostatically controlled temperature, use the down arrow to drop a gear (this is what I do) or switch out of Economy Mode. Be sure to switch back into Economy Mode when past the steep section or you will be stopping at a service station for fuel sooner than you expected.

While you are driving in hilly terrain, if your engine begins to overheat, the engine’s horsepower-to-weight ratio is low, or it irritates you to lose a few mph in the name of saving fuel, by all means drive in Performance Mode.

It confuses me to hear people advocate driving in Economy Mode only on flat ground, as there is not 1 percent difference in shift rpm between Performance and Economy modes on flat ground, except when accelerating from a stop if you use wide-open throttle.

Every time you start the motorhome, the transmission is in Performance Mode. This is the default setting. If you push the mode button, it goes to Economy Mode and the light illuminates.

There is no absolute number that can be given to illustrate the difference in fuel economy that will result when driving in Economy Mode. On flat ground where you will be in sixth gear no matter what mode you are in, there will be zero difference. The most significant difference in mileage will occur in rolling hills, where in Performance Mode, particularly if on cruise control, you will start up a hill in sixth gear, go to wide-open throttle in that gear, and downshift to fifth gear still at wide-open throttle, where it is using a lot more fuel. After the hill is crested, the transmission will upshift to sixth, then likely coast a little in that gear unless you are driving with the exhaust brake on. If you are, the exhaust brake will be applied and the transmission will downshift toward the preselected gear, which is generally either second gear or fourth gear. And so the process will continue, with the transmission shifting up to sixth gear on the downhill, back down to fifth gear on the uphill, etc. The problem with this is that a modern turbocharged diesel engine is much more efficient at low rpm with high throttle settings.

Note: In either mode, you are free to use the up and down arrows to proactively choose the correct gear. You cannot screw anything up, even if you downshift to first gear at 70 mph. The transmission circuitry understands that you want to downshift to the next lower gear as soon as the engine rpm will not exceed the preset amount. Then it will downshift again when safe.

By the same token, you can shift between Performance and Economy modes as often as you want with the transmission in any gear when you make the change.

I drive in Economy Mode 99 percent of the time, including in the mountains. I use the up and down shifting arrows to choose the proper gear. I use Performance Mode only to pass another vehicle on a two-lane road, when I am willing to sacrifice a little fuel economy to gain a short-term burst of speed.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

oldmattb
Explorer
Explorer
Can't the mode button be programmed to do a variety of things?

Matt B
oldMattB
1998 Monaco Windsor

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
gemert wrote:
If it's like mine just push the button in the upper right corner where your circle is.

I'll try it when I pick up the Motor Home from Cummins in Buffalo and bring it home to Rochester.

Thanks

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
phranc wrote:
The " Mode" button is what activates the 'Economy Mode' .. Or turns it off.
A red light light on the upper part of the keypad will illuminate when
economy mode is on..

I'll try it when I pick up the Motor Home from Cummins in Buffalo and bring it home to Rochester.

Thanks

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
If it's like mine just push the button in the upper right corner where your circle is.
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder C-12 505HP
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer
The more engine torque you have the better the eco mode will work. My first MH had a Cummins B engine that was not able to use the ECO mode as much as I liked because of it's lack of torque. My C7 is better and I am sure the bigger engines are another step up. I use mine all of the time unless I am in mountains. In rolling terrain like Iowa and pulling 6000 lbs behind it rolls over the terrain without shifting. You might lose a 2-4 mph but that's ok is I can save fuel.:)

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"msturtz"....I suspect the mpg you are seeing is from filling your tank on an angle, different station, changing road conditions and possibly speed. The Economy MODE does NOTHING for flatland towing. Even at it's best, the most you would ever see is maybe a .5 mpg increase and that would be on a rare occasion.

To truly get your average mpg on a motor home, you have to average fill ups over several thousand miles.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2014 Thor Palazzo with an Allison MH2100 and a Cummins ISB. With the mode switch on and on flat ground with the cruse control set I was able to get 15 MPG. With the mode switch off I was at 12 - 13 MPG.
FMCA member

phranc
Explorer
Explorer
The " Mode" button is what activates the 'Economy Mode' .. Or turns it off.
A red light light on the upper part of the keypad will illuminate when
economy mode is on..
2008 Diesel Bounder 38V

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
phranc wrote:
Glenn , is there a push button just below the red circle in your diagram ?
( just to the right of the 'R' button )

There is a "Mode" button