cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ever denied parking spot even though you legally fit?

rvit
Explorer
Explorer
I was reading parking laws of some of the places we plan on visiting and I noticed parking bans that were very general like "No RV Parking". Has anyone ever been denied parking JUST because they fit the description of an RV, even though their B would legally fit in a standard spot?
18 REPLIES 18

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
pugslyyy wrote:
At the end of the day it's their rules. They could decide no orange or purple vehicles allowed, no dirt vehicles allowed, whatever.
That is not necessarily true. Under Zoning laws, the SCOUS has decided that the community has to make provisions for them somewhere in the community. They have to allow them somewhere, just not always were we want them.
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
All Motor Homes are Recreational Vehicles, but so are 5ers and TTs. But a 5er or a TT can't be a MH without a motor.
As for parking garages and parking lots, a 'B' almost fits, but they're generally longer and taller than a car. Making all the parking spots in an underground garage 'B' compatible lowers the number of parking spots available in the same total space. I've seen a few open air parking lots that had spaces for RVs, but they were at the far end of the lot.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

drsolo
Nomad
Nomad
Heapie wrote:
Why do all people when they hear RV think that it will be a large class A?

I guess I would just say "a van, like a handicapped van" and not explain anything more than that. But I would like to know the difference between an RV and a MH, motor home.
Ingrid and Dan Retired teachers from Milwaukee, WI
1992 GMC Vandura conversion

Heapie
Explorer
Explorer
I attended a prep school in New Hampshire and last June they had an "all class reunion". I sent in my reservation and called to tell them I would be coming up with a 190 Roadtrek V. I was told "no RV's". I tried to explain that it was the size of a van which was allowed and that I was going to camp over night at a local Walmarts. Still got "no RV's"

I showed up to the school reunion and parked in the parking lot. Nobody said a thing, and the person took a look at the RV and apologized. Why do all people when they hear RV think that it will be a large class A?

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
My Pleasureway Plateau TS isnt much bigger than a Ford F-150. I park in all sorts of places including small supermarket parking lots. NO problem. With single wheels at the rear i can park on the street too whereas with dualies the by law folks can get grumpy.

FernandoSanders
Explorer
Explorer
I have faced the same problem but it depends on their decision, and we can not do anything on that.And also there is different rule book for Class A,class b, Class C so this may be also a valid reason for them to denied for parking.

dicktill
Explorer
Explorer
We were in Carmel, California a couple of years ago. Can't remember the exact numbers but near the waterfront area there were signs saying no parking for vehicles over 18' long (not real positive about that) and 7' high (pretty sure about that). Needless to say, "we took our business" elsewhere.

Regards, Dick & Marti RT09/10C190P Allegany NY "no more deadlines"

jjson775
Explorer
Explorer
What places are you talking about that restrict RV parking? Maybe we have been there and can give you some input. With our Class B the only time we had trouble parking was at hotels in cities. Even then, they usually suggested a remote lot to accommodate "high top" vans.

jjrai
Explorer
Explorer
We have not had a problem. We saw one lot that had a sign reading "No Vehicles over 20 Feet." but, the spaces were so small it was reasonable. Most of the time the rule is no "overnight" RV parking. I can understand a town not wanting to be an RV park!

Sailordive
Explorer
Explorer
Picked up our new Sportsmobile and headed to San Antonio. Saw all the signs for $50 or $100 at unattended lots for RV parking and drove around. Found the city lot with an attendant, he said $5. We parked in a spot backed in out of the way and enjoyed the day.
2013 Sportsmobile Sprinter

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
There is a big difference between a Camper Van, and a Class B. A Class B is an RV, so if you have a Class B "RV" follow the rules, or take your chances of getting a ticket, or towed. Pretty simple.
Size, or how it's registered is usually irrelevant.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
That is insane. Sounds like the best move after that is to a less repressive area of the country.

Here in Austin, if you have a "B", it is welcome pretty much anywhere (I've yet to see a sign banning them.) Parking garages are verboten, but that is due to physical limits (unless one has a Sportsmobile pop-top or similar.)

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:

I fought for my rights to park a PERSONAL vehicle that fits in the SAME spot as a car in that lot for the regular rate, but had to give up the fight when Chicago's finest showed up sirens lights and all.:R

It sounds like 'they' made the next move....and you lost the battle. :E

pugslyyy
Explorer
Explorer
At the end of the day it's their rules. They could decide no orange or purple vehicles allowed, no dirt vehicles allowed, whatever.