cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixing water damage on the old Dodge (pics)

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
I got started on my summer project the last couple days. I found this thing on Craig's list for $100 and drove it home. It's a 78 Dodge Monaco 23' with a 440. Here's what it looked like when I brought it home.

Ok, time to dive in!

Oh man, I can't believe the huge bag of rusty screws I have already! It's actually not as rotten as I was thinking it was going to be. Just in the corners, where the screws need to be. Still so much to remove....
Malcolm
813 REPLIES 813

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
Finally got some direction on where to go with this rear floor area.

I started cutting, giving a stair step effect as I went down through the 3 layers so no seams will line up and be a weak spot.

Now I'll do the same across the back and the other side. The hard part is cutting out the first piece of 1/2 inch plywood for the bottom. The 2x2s and top sheet should be pretty easy.
Malcolm

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
We built an attached garage with an awfully flat roof onto my brother-in-laws house up here in WI (never really a good idea, but no choice in this application), and we used a seamless rubber roof. It installed quite easily, and we took the rubber over the sides about 4", gluing the whole way, then installed an aluminum strip to tack the edges down. We took great care to assure a nice transition, nice folded corners, etc., almost like we were upholstering something. It turned out great, and hasn't had a problem yet in the 10 years since it was built!

You may want to try that on your rig. Be sure to build-in a screwing cleat a few inches below your roof deck for the aluminum trim. Don't stretch the material while installing it. You also can get colored rubber (as opposed to black), so it won't look so hokey.

Keep up the great work!

Eric
She ain't purdy, but at least she's slow!

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
I've been thinking pretty hard about how to make the roof meet the sides. I hate the way they made them originally with just a bead of sealer keeping you from disaster. I've been thinking about rounding the outer edge down to the wall, but not too sure how to make the transition and how to seal it good to the siding...

I'll admit that I'm a long way from there, so I can think about it for a while. Go ahead and brainstorm it for me guys. I'm sure that someone has the answer. 😉
Malcolm

John_H
Explorer
Explorer
Spectramac, If I may I"d like to make another suggestion to you, if at all you may be planning on going back with a realitive easy to apply rubber roof? On the upper priced 5th's and Motor homes you will notice that their top roofs corners roll over that very top seam edge, and connect to the upper part of the top of the sides. An example of a fiberglassed 1973 roof that did this is Ripsnorts sold truck camper. Pictured here in class 3, in one of his earlier post You are in a position to see and design a roof as to your complete break-down & re-construction. As to appose to Jamborallye in his current post, who is stuck with what is all ready there. Somewhere there has got to be an example how the wooden roll over design trusses campers are designed to accomplish this, if this is interesting to you.
John H

pammi
Explorer
Explorer
As many have said before, we're behind you 10,000% & are excited to see the progress. Heck, you should do a nationwide tour to show us all the completed job!! Aromatherapy, ah yeah, the smell of campfire workds for me. But your aromatherapy would be great too.
2004 Rockwood Roo 23B (new to us in April, 2007)
2006 Nissan Xterra

When we camp, it's DH & me mostly. :B

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
Well the aroma therapy seems to have worked. That and the good weather have me pumped up to get some more done on this thing before winter sets in and I have to cover all this mess up!

I've been outside all day cleaning up the yard. I was really starting to feel for my neighbors having to look at all this stuff day in and out. I've got a pretty big dent in it. The wife helped me cart all the old cabinets to the back yard where I have a little carport to keep them under. At least they should stay dry until I need them for templates, or to repair and use. I got the old fridge and the kitchen cabinet off my 'dance floor' so it is almost totally flat!

I turned the rig around tonight. Made me feel good to see that it still runs and moves on it's own. I figured it would give everyone the prettier side to look at for a while too. :B

I got started on the rear floor area fix... again. This time I'm not going to let it win the battle, it's goin' down! 😉

Malcolm

skipole
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like RV rebuild aroma therapy to me 😉
2017 Winnebago Fuse 23T

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
Just a small update today. I've been trying to go through the piles of 'junk' all over and deciding what to keep. Horrible task to say the least! I've been having little fires the last couple nights getting rid of some parts that I know I don't need anymore.

Malcolm

Kendas
Explorer
Explorer
I know what you mean Jerry... I've been following it since "day one" and am fascinated with the work that Mr. George has been doing. Knowing that I have a leak in the front window of mine, it scares me to think of the damage. The saving "grace" is where I live. Not much in the way of moisture damage in the desert southwest but eventually I'll need to open it up and look.

Ken
1978 21ft Tioga Dodge 440 Motor,
4.5kw Generac and 80 watts Solar
1984 Goldwing Interstate (Daily driver)
Misc Things I've done to my RV pictures

USAF Retired
To Err is human... To Forgive is not SAC Policy.

Jer_Ger
Explorer
Explorer
I just found this site yesterday and have spent a good amount of time reading the entire thread, WOW:E, what a project! I'm afraid to get into my "77 Dodge Brougham, but I know I have water damage in the front overhead and the drivers side-sidewall that I'm going to have to fix someday. I'm following this everyday now and learning lots! Keep up the good work and the pics are worth a thousand words themselves. I can't thank you enough....Jerry
Jerry & Gerry, our pets (dogs), Byron, Coco
1976 Monaco, 440 ci. Dodge Sportsman chassis

Lucky_Mr_H
Explorer
Explorer
Sure wish I lived closer to malcom. I'd pull over to his place and dry dock for a weekend and give him all the help he wanted.

Hang in there!

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it is! We had a blast over at the Potholes. Burnt a LOT of gas/diesel, but we knew we would. Now, what to do next..... I think I need to regroup the piles of parts I have all over the yard. Some of it can just be cut up and burnt, but rest of it needs to be saved for future templates.

Thanks for the ideas John, lots of good tips!

Better go out and get started.
Malcolm

PapPappy
Explorer
Explorer
John H wrote:
Hi Pap, This guy is really putting a lot of his being in to this/his rebuild. In remembering tearing into mine it seem that it just keep growing, although it no where compares to this indever. ......... If you just look at the pay per hour per retail. Our land fills are full of made to, "Throw-a-ways".

I couldn't agree more! I was just kidding with you, in that just about everything you had mentioned was for water-proofing! :)d I'm sure that it is great information and will be helpful on this cause and those of others who are tackling smaller jobs. I know I learn so much from this site!!

Yeah, Malcolm has his hands full, and an entire nations of RVers supporting him on this....it's one popular link!! I like many others, have it in our favorites, and I check it as I enter RV.net each day!

He's recycling quite a few items (refrigerator among them) and while his old one will probably be going to the landfill, the one that was in the other RV won't! Nor will the $100 Dodge RV that he bought on a whim!

OK, Mal, vacations over...back to work!!:B
Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau 🙂
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.😞
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008:B FMCA# F407293
The Pets

John_H
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Pap, This guy is really putting a lot of his being in to this/his rebuild. In remembering tearing into mine it seem that it just keep growing, although it no where compares to this indever. I sure do admire his shoulder to the task with," I can do this attitude". Great thing big & small have been done with these kinds of personalities. Apart from this it would be heart rendering after it was all finished, if he would have to say. "I just did not know about that", or I wish I had done ....." So any and all information & ideas he can gain that he choses to use, at that time when he is sitting there under that awing with that smirk on his face, "I did it !!!". This knowledge gives him the confidence that he had only to do it once.......and from a lot of those with other thoughts that is far to much. If you just look at the pay per hour per retail. Our land fills are full of made to, "Throw-a-ways".
John H

PapPappy
Explorer
Explorer
JohnH....it seems as if you are trying to recommend that he make the rebuild somewhat water resistant!:B

Very good recommendations....and if used, that old Dodge is going to be the strongest RV on the road!:)
Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau 🙂
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.😞
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008:B FMCA# F407293
The Pets