cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixing water damage on the old Dodge (pics)

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
I got started on my summer project the last couple days. I found this thing on Craig's list for $100 and drove it home. It's a 78 Dodge Monaco 23' with a 440. Here's what it looked like when I brought it home.

Ok, time to dive in!

Oh man, I can't believe the huge bag of rusty screws I have already! It's actually not as rotten as I was thinking it was going to be. Just in the corners, where the screws need to be. Still so much to remove....
Malcolm
813 REPLIES 813

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
I was hoping to get a whole weekend in on the RV, but that turned into just Sunday. Oh well, that'll have to do. I remembered that the overhead floor wasn't quite done yet. It still needs another layer of plywood over the half inch that's already on it. That makes it around 3/4 thick, I guess that should be strong enough to sleep on. 😉

Ok, let's get this going. Had to start by marking it out.

Got it cut out. The wife took an action shot while I wasn't looking.

Going for the stagger! 🙂

Again stuck waiting on glue and using everything that is here to clamp it down. I also tried out the sides that came with my other cover, they fit pretty good! A little short on one end, but I'll see if I can temp the wind gods by leaving them up for a while.
Malcolm

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
My class A doesn't have dash air, so if it's really hot, we just run the genset and the roof AC. Works pretty well, now that we've upgraded the roof AC (was a 10,000 BTU, now is a 15,000 BTU).
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

PapPappy
Explorer
Explorer
Spectramac wrote:
John,
It does have a curtain channel that goes around it but that's for once you get where you're going. I'm sure we could make something else for traveling to help that little dash A/C stay happy. 🙂

We've got a simple curtain that snaps to the left and right of the opening. We use that at night too, though it does leave the cab area exposed to persons looking in, but, they can't see back into the coach.

I'm sure that DW could make up something pretty quickly, with the button snaps, or velcro. On really hot days, I'm sure you could drive with it in place, though we've been running the genset and the house A/C when it's really HOT!!

I hardly noticed a difference in the cameras....but yeah, the 500 wide make for a quicker download too!...compared to the 640!:)
Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau 🙂
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.😞
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008:B FMCA# F407293
The Pets

crazyhorse
Explorer
Explorer
aaaaaaah much better I got to look at a pic...keeps me sane for a few days..thanks

lzasitko
Explorer
Explorer
Have the same problem keeping the class A cool enough when it is really hot. We have a drop down bunk over the front seats so I just use a blanket right behind the seats, works pretty good though I try not to drive when it gets that warm. Where we are we will get +40c or over 100f normally for several weeks in the summer but normally only a few days at a time then drops back to mid 30's 🙂 Most of the time we just leave the windows open a bit and get air moving.

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
John,
It does have a curtain channel that goes around it but that's for once you get where you're going. I'm sure we could make something else for traveling to help that little dash A/C stay happy. I've already heard that they have a hard time keeping the cab cool. I pray for the day that's my biggest problem though. :B

Like the bigger pic? I decided to start using the better camera, so I thought I could get away with at least 640 instead of 500 wide. 🙂
Malcolm

John_H
Explorer
Explorer
Spect.,
First thing that cab does not look bad at all. Even, "way back then",I would not be ashamed driving in that, with what Dodge's styling was then as compared to todays models.
Now for the question, is there some kind of a curtain separating the cab? If not how does that dash mounted air condition keep cool the passenger area, with all that space behind, in say the 90 ++ outside ?? No tenting on the glass ether.
John H

pammi
Explorer
Explorer
May look boring, but we got our oooohhhhh, so needed pic fix 🙂
2004 Rockwood Roo 23B (new to us in April, 2007)
2006 Nissan Xterra

When we camp, it's DH & me mostly. :B

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
I made it through the Freebie thread last night. Nice project. I WISH mine had that little amount of damage! 🙂 I saw several things I would have done differently, but I bet it still lasts him a long time. 😉

Should get somewhere on it this weekend....

I agree, it's looking like the over head may have to wait for at least the walls to be up first. 😞

Here's a rather boring pic of the cleaned up cab cutout.

Malcolm

John_H
Explorer
Explorer
On the eight page the drama suddenly stops. Is there a follow up anywhere as to his finished Class C ???(Freebee)
John H

PapPappy
Explorer
Explorer
Airnip wrote:
Found the advanced post button and the linking device. This is a detailed photo history rebuild thread on a different forum. 'Minor' water damage in cabover leads to rebuild from cab top to back bumper.Apparently the side walls survived in this one.

Enjoy. Believe that seeing this will be encouraging.Luckily here at this forum there has been plenty of practical advice on how to improve a type C camper box.

Freebie

I had just as much fun looking through that one....wow! What a job!

I'd guess that Malcolm might be wondering if he made the right decision to tear his down to flatbead....but, I think it's his was in worse shape, and it was needed! Sounded as if the floor in "Freebie" wasn't too bad.

I love these threads!!:)
Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau 🙂
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.😞
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008:B FMCA# F407293
The Pets

rondeb
Explorer
Explorer
I would think that the exterior sides, rear and roof framing needs to be done before the cabover can go up. The cabover has to be able to be supported.

CISCO8325
Explorer
Explorer
I can't believe its 1am and I'm looking to see if anything new posted. I can't sleep. PICTURES need PICTURES...

Airnip
Explorer
Explorer
Found the advanced post button and the linking device. This is a detailed photo history rebuild thread on a different forum. 'Minor' water damage in cabover leads to rebuild from cab top to back bumper.Apparently the side walls survived in this one.

Enjoy. Believe that seeing this will be encouraging.Luckily here at this forum there has been plenty of practical advice on how to improve a type C camper box.

Freebie

03Ultra
Explorer
Explorer
PICTURES!!! WE NEED PICTURES!!!!

Sorry, temporary instability.
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
2004 Itasca 36M Workhorse
2018 Toyota Tundra
2021 Toyota Highlander