cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gas mileage

mhb1382
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone, happy to join the experts.
I am in the process of purchasing a 1999 Tioga 31 footer with 450 10 valve engine and I'm concerned about the gas mileage. Greatly appreciate feedback. Thanks.
53 REPLIES 53

JNorton
Explorer
Explorer
My 21' Gulf Stream Ultra got 10mpg at 65 mph. I cannot see how a 31' will get 10 mpg unless you are driving 55 mph. Myself I'd rather keep up with the semi trucks. If I want high mpg I'd buy a Prius. ๐Ÿ™‚ Mileage is not something I'm all that concerned with, getting there safely is.
2008 Fleetwood Tioga Ranger 31W E450 V10

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Sabluka,

Believe what you see and not what you read.
๐Ÿ™‚

The weight is a minor influence on RV MPG. Wind resistance is the biggie, by far.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

Sabluka
Explorer
Explorer
I just drove my, new to me, 2000 Minnie Winnie 30' DL from Anchorage to Portland,Or in 8-days. Lots of hills and Mnts and very rough roads etc etc.

I got from abt 7.3 to 8.7 mpg. However, it is loaded a little past gross. The mileage is improving as I am doing the interstate roads now. Hoping it will get 9-mpg.

How do you other V-10 users get 10-12 MPG with the Triton V-10?

The coach has 2011 Bridgestones and no flats. I made sure starting pressure was correct. It has the radiator cooling lines to the water heater and that helps cool the engine.

Anyways, the oil guage and the temperature guage have not changed a bit for the whole trip.

Coach had 22.5-k miles on it when I started the trip.

RR

Vintmxman
Explorer
Explorer
The key is light load in the coach....the heavier you are the more fuel is consumed...we travel extremely light and get incredible mileage on our 6.0 GM motor...

JNorton
Explorer
Explorer
31' V10 8.2 mpg @ 65 mph average for the year.
2008 Fleetwood Tioga Ranger 31W E450 V10

super_camper
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
31ft V-10
12mpg without toad. With toad 10-11. If I ever got 7 mpg I'd sell it! :B

This is incredible mileage. I have a 31ft V10 with 62,000 miles that I have owned since new. All maintenance was done as per the Ford manual. I have averaged about the same mileage since new, 8MPG or just under without towing and 7.1 or so with a tow. I do not exceed 65MPH or the mileage goes downhill quickly.

What is your secret to get a 50% to 70% improvement in mileage?

Grumpy374
Explorer
Explorer
A toad is a vehicle that many tow behind their motorhome. As for milage, it all depends on many factors, driving habits, speed, type of roadway ( interstate or back roads ), weight of your rig and how much your carrying, ect, ect. Many keep their speed to 50-55, others maintain the speed limit, like 65 -70 on interstates. The tune of your engine, air pressure in your tires, on and on and on. There probably aren't two people on this forum that get the same milage, even if their driving the same rig.
I have a 30 foot class c and tow a Subaru Crosstrek. On my recent trip I figure I got 8-9 mpg. Didn't keep track and don't care. We were having too much fun to worry about it.
Grumpy

kellybelly
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
31ft V-10
12mpg without toad. With toad 10-11. If I ever got 7 mpg I'd sell it! :B
hi
are you really sure about 12 miles per gallon? And what is toad

kellybelly
Explorer
Explorer
hi everybody, my husband and I are new to the RV world. Can someone please tell me which class c, from the toyota line, gets the best gas mileage. We are considering small class c, Toyota of some sort, from the year 1990's. we have been told 15 miles per gallon is average.but, I have been told more often they only get 11mpg??? Thanks:)

Grumpy374
Explorer
Explorer
Like others have posted, if we wanted good milage we wouldn't be driving a 6 ton box on wheels, towing a toad. Initially I was going to keep gas milage records, but than figured it is what it is, so I don't. Just got back from a 1000 mile trip thru N.C. and Tenn. , and the money I spent for gas would have paid for 2-3 nights in a motel. Instead we spent 9 days camping in some beautiful campgrounds, four of which were next to a river.
If you have to worry about a mpg one way or the other, you need to re-think your set-up, and what's important to you.
Grumpy

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
Snowman9000 wrote:
There is some out and out bologna in the answers on this thread.
๐Ÿ™‚

Expect 7 MPG.

7 MPG might be a little low. I get 16 MPG in my 2014 32 1/2' Itasca Spirit. :B
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
There is some out and out bologna in the answers on this thread.
๐Ÿ™‚

Expect 7 MPG.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

Vintmxman
Explorer
Explorer
My 2005 30ft Four Winds hauling a enclosed motorcycle trailer gets about 13 miles per gallon. It has a Chevy 6.0. Dual exhaust. Very strong motor ...much better ride and greater gas than my buddies v10 of the same size. He can haul more but motorhome s are never good on gas ..none of them ! The diesel does well-but are very expensive..if you are worried about gas mileage than you have a huge problem....have fun and forget the cost of gas is our Montra

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
35ft V10, 12 MPG without Toad, with toad 10/11??? a/l
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

crickeydog
Explorer
Explorer
mhb1382 wrote:
I am in the process of purchasing a 1999 Tioga 31 footer with 450 10 valve engine and I'm concerned about the gas mileage.

Welcome to the forum.

If fuel mileage is of real concern for you, then you may want to consider towing a small travel trailer with a diesel pickup truck. Expect about 7 to 9 MPG with your Class C and about 10 to 12 pulling a small TT with a diesel. Either way, whether your driving a MH or towing, fuel mileage is gonna stink and if it's a big enough concer for ya, you may want to find another hobby. It is what it is. Good luck.

Happy camping!!! See y'all down the road!!!:)
USAF RETIRED 02/1992
DOD RETIRED 04/2014

D/W US GOV/DOJ/DEA RETIRED 10/2010

PULL DOG:
2006 GMC 3500 CC DRW D/A LBZ 4X4 SLT

2004 HOLIDAY RAMBLER PRESIDENTIAL 30' SCD 5'ER