cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

gas vs. diesel engine motor home

1_show
Explorer
Explorer
which is better? if you had a chance to get a new or close to new gas engine motor home, vs. a 8yr old diesel motor home (due to pocket book) both 35'long, to travel across USA, but only plan to keep it for possibly 6yrs before selling it, what is best choice.
22 REPLIES 22

LOG
Explorer
Explorer
That is a hard question to answer. We purchased a ten year old entry level Foretravel. Our ten year old entry level Foretravel has more features than any brand new gas class A Motorhome. The folks that say floor plan is the most important feature probably don't know or care about the eight outside air bag suspension that provides great ride and handling, the all wheel disc air brakes that provide the best stopping of any motorhome, the Allison transmission retarder that provides for safe and secure down hill passage without using the brakes, the air leveling system that provides for quite and effective leveling in parking areas where the hydraulic struts could damage the parking surface in places like Walmart, the power electric and water reels that make setup an easy chore, the side radiator engine that provides for less expensive maintenance and engine efficiency, the all wood custom cabinets and interior finishing, etc. I could go on. Resale and depreciation costs are unknown and hard to predict. If you are going to a state park less than a hundred miles away and plan to stay there awhile, buy the gas. If you are actually going to be traveling in the motorhome, buy the high end eight year old diesel, you will not regret it.
LOG
2005 Chinook Glacier

koda55
Explorer
Explorer
We had a gas for four years. This was our first rv ever. We drove a diesel and that was the end of the gas. The diesel also had the floor plan that we liked and had everything in it that was on our list of must have. Even ended up with 4 optional items like the washer/dryer and the refrigerator/freezer in the storage bay. Now if I can just get the 8.5 or better mpg.

bukib
Explorer
Explorer
In response to an earlier post, I have an Airstream Land Yacht DP. It has a passenger side center entrance door AND a 3 x 6 foot dual pane picture window at the rear. Be careful of posts that show a very limited knowledge of the world of diesel coaches.

dezolen
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
blangen wrote:
Aside from the diesel preferred answers above (I'm in that camp, too), the other pertinent criteria is depreciation. That new gasser will lose the greatest percentage of value in the time it takes you to sign the paperwork. If you go high end diesel (as recommended immediately above... and I agree for several reasons), your percentage of lost value over a six year period will be MUCH less.

Is that what you told your wife? :B
I posted on here about my friends high end Prevost DP,that cost in excess of $1 million and now, after 20,000 miles and ten years, it MAY be worth 15%-20% of what it cost. For the 3/4 million that he lost in depreciation you could buy a few other coaches.
It is nice to talk percentages but the REAL facts are dollars and the amount of dollars that you may lose in depreciation from a new DP will far exceed the money that you may lose with a new gasser.

Has something to do about bragging rights in the same category as the short person syndrome.

blangen
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
blangen wrote:
Aside from the diesel preferred answers above (I'm in that camp, too), the other pertinent criteria is depreciation. That new gasser will lose the greatest percentage of value in the time it takes you to sign the paperwork. If you go high end diesel (as recommended immediately above... and I agree for several reasons), your percentage of lost value over a six year period will be MUCH less.

I posted on here about my friends high end Prevost DP,that cost in excess of $1 million and now, after 20,000 miles and ten years, it MAY be worth 15%-20% of what it cost. For the 3/4 million that he lost in depreciation you could buy a few other coaches.
It is nice to talk percentages but the REAL facts are dollars and the amount of dollars that you may lose in depreciation from a new DP will far exceed the money that you may lose with a new gasser.

We're not talking about million dollar rigs here. By "high end", I mean the top of the line for any manufacturer... just not commercial bus chassis. Mine, for example is a 2004 Damon 4194, top of their line for that year. My thought is that each manufacturer does the best job they can on the top of the line coach and, maybe, cuts a few corners on the lesser models. By picking top of the line, one hopes to get longevity, both in use as well as residual value.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
blangen wrote:

MRUSA
Explorer
Explorer
If cost is very important to you, buy gas. If anything else is more important than cost, go diesel. The diesel will be better in every way, except for cost.
Marc, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
2018 Lincoln MKX toad
EEZ-RV tire pressure monitor

blangen
Explorer
Explorer
Aside from the diesel preferred answers above (I'm in that camp, too), the other pertinent criteria that hasn't been mentioned yet is depreciation. That new gasser will lose the greatest percentage of value in the time it takes you to sign the paperwork. If you go high end diesel (as recommended immediately above... and I agree for several reasons), your percentage of lost value over a six year period will be MUCH less.

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
First off, the most important statement that has yet to be made is that not all diesels are created equal. While a DP usually means higher end, that is not a universal statement, and there is some overlap where a higher end gas motorhome may be built considerably better than a low end diesel.

Generally speaking, I would lean strongly toward going older and higher quality, regardless of the fuel type. What ever your choice in quality is, you are married to it, with divorce being very expensive. 10 year old quality is still quality. Brand new junk is always junk, even when its new and looks fancy.
IRV2

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
DP vs Gasser..... Some basic decision points:

How much use?
Weekends only? Gasser.
Weeks or months at a time? DP, because the house components are "generally better" built.

How many miles driven per year?
A few thousand? Gasser
5,000+ ? DP - The ride quality and chassis design are far superior.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depends on the floorplan the wife likes...everything else takes a back seat....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Previous comments pretty well sum up this long debated, tired subject - Diesel will have more capacity, better ride, but comes at a very high price both in initial cost and maintenance. Gas MH is much easier on the budget, but won't ride quite as nicely. They are pretty much the same when parked.

And, the previous poster is exactly right - Floorplan is very important, in some ways more so than what kind of engine, chassis it has.

Floorplan is actually the main reason why I prefer a gasser MH. I absolutely HATE having the door in front of passenger seat, something you're pretty much stuck with on most diesel MHs. Makes it feel like you're driving a big school or tour bus, hahaha! I also really, really like having a window on back wall of the rear bedroom, something that you cannot get on any diesel pusher MH. Between those two floorplan issues, diesel is pretty well eliminated for us, before we even start talking about the huge $$ difference or the horrible smell of diesel fuel I want nothing to do with.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had a diesel and switched to gas. Floor plan is most important since you will spend more time parked than driving. My gasser performs well and the floor plan suits my needs. My gasser is also easier and cheaper for ME to maintain. If you have to pay for maintenance and repairs, by reading this forum you will find that diesel repairs are more expensive than similar repairs on a gasser.

jvernon
Explorer
Explorer
Fishinghat wrote:
I normally would vote for the diesel, but in 6 years you will want to sell the coach and any potential buyer will probably want to finance the purchase. Most lending institutions don't want to finance anything over 10 years old.

Don't drive the diesel, since you'll fall in love with the ride and the quietness.

I just bought a 2001 Monaco dp . 10% down , bank did 15 yr note at 5%.