Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas vs Diesel

bamaspiveys
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks, looking for some opinions.

Been out of RVing for several years and looking to get back in the game. I had several travel trailers and fifth wheels over the years but I want a Class A this time. Staying pretty basic and under $70,000.00.
So here is the question, older diesel pusher or new gas burner?
My research indicates I can get a 2006-2008 diesel pusher or a 2011-2013 gas coach in the target price range.
Most of our trips will be towing a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and in the 5-7 hour range.

Three units under consideration are:
2007 Coachmen Pathfinder - 50,000 miles, Genset has 1900 hrs, tires are DOT dated 2011
2005 Beaver Monterey - 30,000 miles Genset has 600 hours tires are DOT dated 2008 and need to be replaced
2013 Coachmen Mirada - 3000 miles Genset has 115 hours.
All three coaches are priced with between $65k and $68K

Thoughts, comments, suggestions of any kind appreciated.
89 REPLIES 89

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Based on brand - Beaver. If the Beaver didn't already jump out at you over the other Coachman's, then maybe its not the right one for you and I would keep looking. Bazillion out there.

PS - I prefer the diesel, but they can be intimidating when you think about costs for repair and maintenance.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

golfman_1
Explorer
Explorer
Beaver
2000 Mountain Aire 4093 Double slide DP"the Dreamweaver"

2001 Honda Odyssey

Retired and living life to the max.

See you on the road.

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
Sez Hoo! wrote:
its a lot quieter than gasers

Only for those sitting inside them.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is no way to tell which would be the best buy. Things break and the older a vehicle, the more chance things may break. They may look great but depending on how they were maintained, they all may have a hidden, expensive, problem. Check all service records. Inspect the radiators for corrosion. Diesel engines last a long time but their expensive accessories do not. Do you want to sleep on and sit on 11 year old mattresses and furniture?
Check out everything or, if you are not qualified, bring in an expert.

Sez_Hoo_
Explorer
Explorer
Go with a diesel pusher. There is a reason why an older diesel is about the same price as newer gasers. They last longer work harder and its a lot quieter than gasers
Steven
USCG EMC Ret.
Lilly Pi
1998 Country Coach Intrigue
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I agree - get the Beaver.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Without a doubt - Buy the Beaver....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

time_to_go_now
Explorer
Explorer
No Coachmen.
Jim and Deanna

2008 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA FRED
2007 Carson Trailer 22' Titan TH
Trailer Toad
Me, Wife, Boy/22, Boy/19, Girl/17
1985 Toyota 4Runner
TWO quads, THREE kids, TWO motorcycles, ONE wife, TWO dogs, ONE cat, TWO Polaris RZR's

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Almost half the original value depreciates in the first five to eight years, so the older you buy the closer you get to value depends on condition only.

Pathfinders were base level models for rental markets. Mirada is an entry level coach for the consumer market. Choices of materials, fixtures, finishes are all in the direction of minimizing construction cost for low price point. While there were Beavers at different price points, mostly tied to chassis capacity, there never was a Beaver built down to entry level represented by the particular gassers you are looking at.

If I wanted something as big and powerful as the Beaver, I would pick the older Beaver over any entry level gasser on a chassis with 1/2 to 2/3 the capacity. Whether Beaver was building them, or it was Monoco Corp after they acquired the Beaver brand, all are heads and tails above Coachmen entry level gassers.

But of course, it also depends on condition. If the Beaver is now a wreck, differences in initial quality don't matter until you figure out the additional cost of repairing the wreck.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Beaver is the only quality brand listed.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

nightshift
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
Beaver

x2. I looked closely at one years ago and almost bought it. Quality all the way.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Beaver is the only quality brand listed.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
rvten wrote:
Never owned an oil burner. Except for farm tractor. All my RV's have been gas powered. Been operating that way from the 60's.

Sounds like price difference on diesel could buy you a Prevost by now?

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Never owned an oil burner. Except for farm tractor. All my RV's have been gas powered. Been operating that way from the 60's.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Beaver
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods