Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

:h - TOOL's Let's talk TOOL's - :@

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer

Simple topic but just curious what most have found as being the "Best" or Most "Used" tool you carry?

Used to just carry - Sockets and Wrenches - but over the years the most used tool is the Multimeter - and electrical repair kit. Seems as these Homes go down the road the electrical system is the weak link.

Still carry a drill and impact gun, pliers and screwdrivers, few sockets and wrenches, but the most used is the Multimeter or the 12 volt probe.

Am I alone?

What is your most used "TOOL".

Just wondering,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach
28 REPLIES 28

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the big box stores have a tool set in a compact plastic box. Usually has sockets, combo wrenches, pliers and various drivers. Works for me. Also a good place to keep that Leatherman/giant Swiss Army combos the kids give you for fathers day ( you can never have enough bottle openers!).

Norm
F1BNorm

GPWayne
Explorer
Explorer
WOW! Forgot to add duct tape and wire ties,

When all else fails, These will get you home.

Been there and done that.

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
I tried to carry my whole shop when we first bought the coach....but the problem became, when I needed a tool in the shop, it was in the coach! I ended up buying one of those Kobalt 120 piece socket/wrench/pliers/screwdriver sets from Lowe's when it was on sale, a 3-gallon air compressor and an impact wrench set. So far, the only other thing I've needed is a pair of Channel Locks, multimeter, and a couple of Crescent wrenches. Will likely be adding a soldering iron and some solder. Oh yeah....my MOST used tool? Duct tape........
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
"What is your most used "TOOL"."

My brain.

Chum lee

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I have a small bag with at least a couple screwdrivers and a hammer.
Otherwise there are plenty of stores on the road to pick up what is needed at the time.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a plastic box of sae and metric sockets in 1/4 inch drive to save weight. I will also add some wrenches. One tool that gives a lot of bang for the buck is the screwdriver with the wide assortment of different bits; square drive, posidrive etc. Multimeter and visegrips. Carry a small roll of eternabond tape just in case
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
My rechargeable drill/impact set USED to be my most valuable tool when we had a 5th wheel, but lately I haven't even remembered to bring it. Now the most valuable tool is a 12V test light and a wiggy (110VAC tester). Made a lot of progress with those two items keeping everything diagnosed and running.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Ocean Mist wrote:
Jim@HiTek wrote:
Ocean Mist wrote:
I don't have any Monaco or RV specific tools. I will need tools in the Motorhome, as well as tools at the house. Exciting and scared...

This will be my first RV/Coach. Heck, I don't even have the Rig yet, I'm flying out to pick it up this Friday!

I hope the only tool I need is the Gas pump on the drive home... ๐Ÿ˜„

Recommend that when you pick up your coach, you head for the nearest large empty parking lot and practice driving. Put vinyl tape on the window where the lanes are, lock all the basement compartments, measure the oil level, etc...

In other words, learn your vehicle before taking a long trip. What I did for weeks before I bought, was to watch semi trucks and buses in traffic to see how they turned and when they started pressing on the brake pedal, etc. Really helped when I drove my very first Class A RV. Not the first RV I'd ever been inside, but certainly the first I'd ever driven. My family wasn't a big rig sort of family either so I had no expirience.

Thank you that is a very wise thing to do. I had planned on it but after Igot home, but your idea to do it before I leave will be very helpfull! As well as the tape so I can figure where my rig is actually on the road...

Didn't mean to go OT...

I have a multitester, I jut have to figure out ow to use it...

Like for example how to test relays...
Sound like you decided to get it! Cool beans.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Ocean_Mist
Explorer
Explorer
Jim@HiTek wrote:
Ocean Mist wrote:
I don't have any Monaco or RV specific tools. I will need tools in the Motorhome, as well as tools at the house. Exciting and scared...

This will be my first RV/Coach. Heck, I don't even have the Rig yet, I'm flying out to pick it up this Friday!

Recommend that when you pick up your coach, you head for the nearest large empty parking lot and practice driving. Put vinyl tape on the window where the lanes are, lock all the basement compartments, measure the oil level, etc...

In other words, learn your vehicle before taking a long trip. What I did for weeks before I bought, was to watch semi trucks and buses in traffic to see how they turned and when they started pressing on the brake pedal, etc. Really helped when I drove my very first Class A RV. Not the first RV I'd ever been inside, but certainly the first I'd ever driven. My family wasn't a big rig sort of family either so I had no expirience.

Thank you that is a very wise thing to do. I had planned on it but after Igot home, but your idea to do it before I leave will be very helpfull! As well as the tape so I can figure where my rig is actually on the road...

Didn't mean to go OT...

I have a multitester, I jut have to figure out ow to use it...

Like for example how to test relays...
06' Monaco Executive Ranier IV ~ 41' 4"
525ISX ~ Allison 4000 ~ S Series Chassis
10 Air bag/10 Source Billstein
Ralph Lauren Interior ~

Last: 99' National Class A ~ 31' Ford Chassis

GPWayne
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest a multimeter, a 1/4 drive socket set with US and metric sockets, Wrenches both US and metric (Up to one inch to start) and a magnetic screwdriver with good set of tips (20/30 or more types) Get the good stuff. This will be the start of the tool kit that you will depend on.

The most used tools? The manual and the screwdriver.
The multimeter and the knowledge to use it, is next.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Ocean Mist wrote:

Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Ocean_Mist
Explorer
Explorer

06' Monaco Executive Ranier IV ~ 41' 4"
525ISX ~ Allison 4000 ~ S Series Chassis
10 Air bag/10 Source Billstein
Ralph Lauren Interior ~

Last: 99' National Class A ~ 31' Ford Chassis

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:

Simple topic but just curious what most have found as being the "Best" or Most "Used" tool you carry?

volt meter and an angle grinder. First is obvious, the latter comes in handy for the unusual stuff when you're on the road.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I used to carry a very full set of tools in my '55 Merc and then my first F150, pretty much no longer cary much in the new truck. Bought a Bounder, carried the full tool box over to the Bounder from the truck. Moved that from to Bounder to the Winnie, fixed all the stuff I found wrong or didn't like or added.

I put together a 12" HFT tool bag with the things I really use, DMM, 422 channel locks, dikes, side cutters, needlenosed, crimpers, non-contact voltage detector, and several screwdrivers. and a 1/4" nutdriver for the bleeder on the hydraulics for the levelers.

I don't use the others so its back into the garage when we get home next time. Some I have never used and really don't know why they are there.

At 77 and a very worn and fragile back, I do have a lug nut wrench that came in the rig and a impact socket just in case. I'm not going to use them but the tow operator may not have the right socket.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II