cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Honda generators vs on board Onan gas generator.

Band47
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a (new to us) Tiffin 34TGA motorhome to replace our 5th wheel. We are planning to take about two weeks to travel from Northwest Florida to Martinsville VA for a NASCAR race.....now comes the question. While boon docking, at the race track, will using my two Eu2000 honda generators linked together be more fuel efficient than running my on board generator? My DW says leave the Hondas at home, but I am just wondering...........
37 REPLIES 37

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Onan 5500 in my MH and it's been a real PITA. In the winter of 2011/12. I had cardiac surgery and couldn't get out to the rig to do the "once motnh" routine. The damned thing hasn't run since.

It will crank, but spits out great gobs of white smoke, backfires like crazy and quits about 5 seconds after I let go of the start switch. I'll have to take it to an Onan pro to get it sorted, as I've run out of ideas. It might be a while, as our RV lifestyle relies heavily on FHU sites. When we bought the rig at 8 years old, the generator had 48 hours on it. We've used it for real on two trips into Eastern WA in summer, when we need both a/cs. With that and "exercising" it, we've added 8 more hours in three seasons.

I have a stong suspicion that the problems are related to gasoline containing ethanol. Onan is very speific about not using it. Get real, guys. The generator draws from the vehicle's tank. I get about 8 mpg. Am I going to drive many extra miles trying to find gas stations with ethanol free fuel that costs 50 to 75 cents more a gallon? No way!

I'll get the generator fixed before we put the MH on the market when our travelling days are over. Until then it's just extra dead weight we're dragging around.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

Mike_M2
Explorer
Explorer
What are you gonna run that you need both 2000i's? I can run practically everything in my MH on a single Honda except the AC(including the microwave), and for that race i doubt you'll need it. Bring one and chain it up, that's what i do....
Mike M2
Thor Infinity 33SL

glamisorbust
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have an onboard kohler 4kw on my class A. We usually boondock only, so a good running generator is essential. The kohler runs good and is fairly quiet, and will run the a/c and microwave at the same time. However, I also have a 2000 watt honeywell suitcase generator that I use 90% of the time. It runs 10-12 hours on a few gallons of fuel, and keeps my batteries charged, along with powering everthing but the a/c. And to top it of, it's 20' away from the motorhome where I can't hear it, while still powering the coach and charging my batteries. Great setup. Unless you are needing the a/c unit, just leave the second honda at home and use the first one to keep your batteries charged and run your tv's.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 38'. Cummins ISB 275, allison 3060.
Toys pulled: 22x8.5 open deck PJ flatbed. 5200# axles. Sand car with ecotec engine. Multiple 1980's ATC's(3 wheelers). We're duners!

jhatton
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a honda 1000 along with my onan, if I need AC or microwave I will run the big generator, but if I just need to charge my batteries after a few days I will pull out the honda and let it run for an afternoon.

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
The Onan can run both air conditioners at the same time along with the microwave, coffee pot, etc. Can the Honda? And you don't have to have an engineering degree to wire it up.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Leave the Hondas at home. I thought about bringing mine to races when I first got our coach with an Onan 5500 but found the Onan to be very efficient, easier to use and no exhaust floating using my GenTuri. No need to carry gas cans, refilling the little buggers, locking cables or pulling starter cords; just push a button and instant power. :C

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
Get two of these Honda's and you won't need to worry about them being stolen. Thief won't see them 🙂 🙂 🙂 If you can't see image it's because the gennie is camo.

Anyone every removed their standard MH generator and used space for two of the Honda's connected to MH fuel supply?
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

JayGee
Explorer
Explorer
I take one Honda 2000 and use it most of the time when I go to a race. I like the fact that I can run it and bother no one including me. I use the onboard gennie when the need calls for it such as hairdryers and AC at the same time etc. I do use a genturi.
I sold my second Honda after buying a MH with the on board gennie.
Jaygee

2005 Bounder 35E on F53 chassis

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I will be going to Road Atlanta for a race in mid-October and my built in Onan is going to serve me fine (it has in years past and is run monthly under load).

I will definitely hear a lot of contractor model generators while there - from a long way off too. At least during the actual racing you can only hear them when you are close to them.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
Noise won't matter at Martinsville. You're familiar with the Honda's, how much do you know about Onan? You see 10 times the post on here with Onan problem that you do with Honda problems.

But in the end, it don't matter.

You need the space.

AND MOMMA SAID!
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

mustang652
Explorer
Explorer
cbr46 wrote:
While more fuel efficient what would be the point of showing up with a class A gas hog then whipping out gas sipping generators that you'll need to fill every 8 hours under medium load?

Not about the fuel savings or the money. Spending a $1000 + for a portable Honda would operate an Onan an awful long time. It's about the noise level created and trying to be less annoying..As far a storage, like the spare for my dolly or trailer, I'd carry it in the rear of the toad.
Stan, Shirley & 2 Schnauzers
RV: 2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F
USAF Retired, Life Member: VSPA, VVA, DVA,VFW

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
I thought we would use the Honds 2000 as a back up instead of running the Generac 4000. After 5 weeks out on the road the Generac has been run about 2 hours and the Honda not at all. Might be time to rethink this one as we just don't need much gen time. We easily go 3 days without AC and don't miss it.

eabc5454
Explorer
Explorer
VintageRacer wrote:
Depending on where you camp, the Onan may be better suited to a Venturi type exhaust so you don't kill the people camped next to you with fumes (has happened).

We bought the Venturi about a month ago, and like it very much. The exhaust goes up and over the top of the motor home. Easy to install and carry, it's worth it if you're camping in close quarters.
2014 Thor Motor Coach ACE 30.1 (The Mothership)
2013 Honda CR-V (The Pod)

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Trade the Hondas for some solar panels. :B
Still need the ONAN to run the air all day but the solar can run everything else through an inverter or 12v direct.

hottubkid
Explorer
Explorer
WE only use 1/4 gal an hour on the on board but it makes noise
hottubkid60193@yahoo.com
2004 SOUTHWIND 36E Tow 2003 CRV