cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do the 24K and 26K chassis handle towing ?

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
We are currently in the process of looking for a motor home to replace our fifth wheel and truck and it seems that we are going to be in the 35 to 38 foot range to find the floor plans we feel work for us since we are finding it hard to find a residential type floor plan such as our current fifth wheel( recliners you can see the tv from , dinning table and chairs not a booth , accessible bath and kitchen with slides closed) that sort of stuff. Our price point will keep us in the gas chassis unless we were to find a real great diesel deal. I have many questions about this change from fifth wheel to motorhome but my first is how the larger heavier gas motorhomes on these 24K and 26K ford chassis handle towing a dinghy in the weight range of 3300 lbs. We have a new Subaru Forester that is able to be towed with its standard transmission all four down. I just want to know from people that are using these heavier motorhome and towing this way how these chassis handle this weight on average highway grades and some steeper secondary roads. I know they are rated to tow 5K but do they really struggle when you put a 38 foot motorhome on top of a 24K or 26K chassis and then tow 3k-5K? Also I am finding the cost of setting up the dinghy to be in the $2K to $3K dollar range by the selling dealers is that a normal range for setting up a car to be towed, baseplates, wiring, tow bar and aux braking?
Thanks for any information or help in advance, this is a procces that I hope to get right the first time, took three trailers to find the one that worked for us for the last 8 years.
Mike
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's
29 REPLIES 29

Jim_Norman
Explorer
Explorer
With our 35J we have no issues towing our Liberty. I did install a 5-Star tuner. Lifetime MPG is about 6.5. This includes towing and not towing, long and short trips. I have driven across WV and I did get down to about 40 on one really long hill, but so did everyone else. I would like a DP, but no larger than what I already have. I probably would go for table and chairs if I were replacing, but you lose a bed and storage to do so. Do watch the Weight and weight ratings. One unit we looked at when we were first searching would have topped out long before we got our gear onboard. Full water tank, 4 adults and we'd have been full up!
2016 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
2008 Jeep Liberty (aka FireToad)

mlslcan
Explorer
Explorer
I would expect a good discount on a left over model year that is coming up on two years. The value would drop immediately as if it had been owned during that time. So the discount should bring it inline to any other used coach of that year and model.

As far as it sitting for two years new, I would be less concerned on that since you should get the original warranty that would cover any issues.

Mike

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
Any thoughts on buying a leftover model that would be about two years old by the time I purchased it but has the floor plan I want ? Not so sure I want to buy a coach that has sat unused that long, and the price, online anyway, is not much of a discount at 154K for an 2014 adventurer 38Q. I think lack of use is sometimes more damaging than over use. Thanks
Mike
18 Host Mammoth

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
Devocamper wrote:

Thanks for the link , it is misleading when you read on the manufacturers websites that you have a 5000 lbs hitch but I don't recall reading that you actually have a 4000 lbs rating for the chassis on the 26 K.

This isn't quite right. On the 22K, you have a 26K GCWR. The chassis will hold 22K of payload (GVWR). So, if you load to max payload, you only leave 4K for a toad. However, if you load to 21K, you have 5K, which is what the hitch will pull.

We have a 22K chassis pulling a 3900 lb. Wrangler. We fulltime and the chassis is loaded to 21.5K with us and 65G of freshwater in it. We have been on grades up to 12%, through the Rockies, up the west coast, and into Alaska. We have hit a couple of grades that slowed us to 35 mph but they were very long grades. And we still passed fully loaded semis. We have been passed by semis, DPs, and gassers, but it is usually because we are dawdling, not because we don't have the power.

I don't know how the engine will act with an additional 4K lbs (26K chassis). But we don't really notice a difference when we don't have the toad attached. I would guess it would work a little harder but, so far, it seems to be a pretty capable engine.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Devocamper wrote:
We are currently in the process of looking for a motor home to replace our fifth wheel and truck and it seems that we are going to be in the 35 to 38 foot range to find the floor plans we feel work for us since we are finding it hard to find a residential type floor plan such as our current fifth wheel( recliners you can see the tv from , dinning table and chairs not a booth , accessible bath and kitchen with slides closed) that sort of stuff. Our price point will keep us in the gas chassis unless we were to find a real great diesel deal. I have many questions about this change from fifth wheel to motorhome but my first is how the larger heavier gas motorhomes on these 24K and 26K ford chassis handle towing a dinghy in the weight range of 3300 lbs. We have a new Subaru Forester that is able to be towed with its standard transmission all four down. I just want to know from people that are using these heavier motorhome and towing this way how these chassis handle this weight on average highway grades and some steeper secondary roads. I know they are rated to tow 5K but do they really struggle when you put a 38 foot motorhome on top of a 24K or 26K chassis and then tow 3k-5K? Also I am finding the cost of setting up the dinghy to be in the $2K to $3K dollar range by the selling dealers is that a normal range for setting up a car to be towed, baseplates, wiring, tow bar and aux braking?
Thanks for any information or help in advance, this is a procces that I hope to get right the first time, took three trailers to find the one that worked for us for the last 8 years.
Mike

Without getting into a lot of discussion and detail about gas pullers and DP's, let's just say that a big rig is already pulling so much weight and drinking so much fuel that another 2 tons or so, makes not much difference. Having said that, if the math doesn't add up and you find yourself grossly overloaded, the tranny might suffer on long steep grades. Speaking here in general of course and particulars for every setup, can vary and be numerous.
Towing equipment varies also and I have less than $1500 complete, using the NSA READYBRUTE/ELITE system, along with doing it all myself. Still the best.... and bang for the buck as well, IMO.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
Hikerdogs wrote:
Take a look at the Ford F53 chassis spec sheet.

http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/brochures/2014/Class_A_brochure-2014_LoRes.pdf

You'll find the 24,000 lb. chassis has a towing capacity of 6,000 lbs. While the 26,000 lb. chassis only has a towing capacity of 4,000 lbs. Essentially they both have the same GCWR (gross combined weight rating). The smaller chassis carries 2,000 lbs. less on the frame, but can tow 2,000 lbs. more than the 26,000 lb. chassis.

Thanks for the link , it is misleading when you read on the manufacturers websites that you have a 5000 lbs hitch but I don't recall reading that you actually have a 4000 lbs rating for the chassis on the 26 K.
18 Host Mammoth

reboo349
Explorer
Explorer
Don't have the 24 or 26000 chassis have the 22000 in a 2015 38ft. Thor Challenger tow a Saturn Vue no problems excellent power, don't know it's back there, had some issues with it took it to a dealer for warranty work and got no results so took it to factory, and was really surprised at how responsive the factory was to our concerns, everything taken care of and did not have to get in a shouting match with them very nice and the ride of this coach is really good

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Our 38' Newmar 3 slides has a 6,000 lb tow capacity and it is on 22.5 wheels. The V-10 with the 5 speed Tow Haul transmission does a great job of towing our Jeep. Very seldom do we know it is attached (check in the rear view camera occasionally to make sure) We have been in 40 states and across the western mountain range from north to south numerous times and do not remember being passed by any 18 wheeler except those running empty or the 500 + HP.. All slow down of the steep grades. The V-10 is an excellent engine and develops more HP (362) than most diesels in similar size coaches. The overall average fuel MPG is 6.

Newmar builds quality coaches and the insulation is excellent, masking most of the engine noise.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Hikerdogs wrote:

http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/brochures/2014/Class_A_brochure-2014_LoRes.pdf

You'll find the 24,000 lb. chassis has a towing capacity of 6,000 lbs. While the 26,000 lb. chassis only has a towing capacity of 4,000 lbs. Essentially they both have the same GCWR (gross combined weight rating). The smaller chassis carries 2,000 lbs. less on the frame, but can tow 2,000 lbs. more than the 26,000 lb. chassis.

Yup. Basically 30,000 is a power train limit. However, the 2016 chassis will be getting the updated transmission used in the F650, which is rated for 33,000 combined, so maybe the new F53 will get a tow rating bump.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer

Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
My 2014 Tiffin Red DP was in your price range and was like new as they hadnt hardly ever used it. Keep looking for what you want as it will be out there.

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
JimM68 wrote:
I think I am having a confusing day...

OP, are you looking used, or insisting on new?
Price range?
I'm not sure why people tend to now want to say what they want to spend, cause that can really help us in making a sensible recommendation...

With V10 chassis, you are not going to see much difference other than wheelbase. The longer the wheelbase the better it will handle. The shorter ter rear overhang, they better it will handle.

V10's rev. 4500 rpm for thirty minutes up a big grade is not unusual, and won't hurt it. May hurt you tho.

I am not insisting on new but with a price range of 130K to 180K that's upper end gas or small lightly used DP. The Winnebago 38q left over 2014 is online for 154K which is right there for us but I had the towing concerns that I asked about earlier with a coach of that weight. I would like a residential floor plan such as the 38Q and I have yet to find one in the used DPs in our price range/size. Quality and the ability to tow a 3300 pound car without overloading the chassis is where I have started my search. I am not worried about high RPM I just stated I would have to get used to it after my current rig
Thanks
Mike
18 Host Mammoth

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Toffin 38QRA which has rear bath with half bath midway and will probably never own another rv unless it has 2 bathrooms. Plus the raer bath has mucho room.