cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do you work under a MH with air bags?

dsr27
Explorer
Explorer
I have an older Winnie that sits fairly high on springs. Over the years I've spent a bit of time under there for service and upgrades. Somewhere in our future is a MH riding on air bags. Most of these seem to sit very low. One way that I could imagine working under one would be to drive it up on some blocks, so that with the air all dumped, one could still slide under.

How do you guys do it?

thanks
Gary
Those who know me have come to accept that I want it all, no matter how impossible it may obviously be. They've learned to wait patiently while I struggle to accept the inevitable.
18 REPLIES 18

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Harbor Freight

Run the air bags up as high as possible.. Or the leveling jacks if you have those,, (or both) then install a set of devices slightly heavier than the above (They are offered for reference only) then let the air/jacks down so it sits firmly on the stands. and work away.

NOTE: Motor homes fall into two groups when working under them.

Mine, No need for jacks My 300 pound frame slide around nicely under the beast.

Many need jack stands though.

There are alternatives (NOTE: I am a leveling jack short on this 3-legged rig (Supposed to be 4 but I pretzled one) and am using a jack stand in place of that jack (pick it up with a bottle jack, let it down on the stand) the stand sits on top of a square foot of 4x12 lumber so it does not just sink into the ground.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

et2
Explorer
Explorer
I've been kicking this around for myself. I want to get under the coach to fix some rust. I'm just not comfortable sliding under the MH while raised. Not as thin and flexible as I use to be. It might be nothing to worry about but my wife agrees with me, take it somewhere and let them do the work. So that is my solution.

dsr27
Explorer
Explorer
cross country wrote:
I'm new to this too, however I have learned that with Foretravels a steel 2x2 x 1/4 inch thick post at a prescribed length is placed in a recommended (by manufacturer)position in all four corners which takes the place of fully inflated air bags. This is the recommended safe way to elevate your Foretravel if your going to get under it.

Interesting... Foretravel is at the top of my list. So how do you safely install this post? Once the rig is up, do you just assume it won't come down in the short time you're putting the post in place?

With the jack stands suggested, it would seem like you could push it into place with a stick and still be safely out from underneath. Is that what you jackstand guys do?

thanks for all the replies and suggestions
Gary
Those who know me have come to accept that I want it all, no matter how impossible it may obviously be. They've learned to wait patiently while I struggle to accept the inevitable.

PortWentworthSa
Explorer
Explorer
frankdamp wrote:
Stacks of wood blocks can slip. The only reasonably safe way is to use big-truck size axle stands. BTW, Chris is correct. "XX-ton axle stands are rated to each support XX/2. I was looking at some Harbor Freight ones a while back and asked the question. They confirmed that each one could support half the rated weight.

Sorry that I wasn't more detailed. Blocks can slip easily. I made a set of 6 just for this purpose. I took 6x6 treated lumber and cut them in 11" lengths bolted 2 together side by side making them 11" x 11" square as a 6x6 isn't really 6". Then I bolted another pair of 6x6 blocks to the topof the first running across. Then another and another until high enough to fit under the mail frame with the wheels off the ground about 2". I also added a 24 x 24 piece of treated 3/4" plywood to the bottom as a base. bolted with 4 bolts.

I added a rope strap to each block set for easy handling and moving around. I space 3 block sets on each side of the coach evenly and centered on the frame. total of 6 block sets.

I used treated lumber so I can store them behind the garage when I'm not using them. They are specifically made for the motor home and there when I need them which is a couple of times a year.

I got this idea from a friend who built 8 sets to put under his coach in storage. He raises the coach using his leveling jacks and puts the block sets under the frame. Raises his jacks and his coach sits on top of the 8 block sets nicely. Tires barely touching the ground.

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
Stacks of wood blocks can slip. The only reasonably safe way is to use big-truck size axle stands. BTW, Chris is correct. "XX-ton axle stands are rated to each support XX/2. I was looking at some Harbor Freight ones a while back and asked the question. They confirmed that each one could support half the rated weight.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

cbeierl
Explorer
Explorer
sjholt wrote:
I have two 5 ton jack stands under the rear axle....

Just a reminder to folks that jack stands are typically (always?) rated as a pair--i.e. A pair of 5-ton jack stands will each hold a maximum of 2.5 tons, for a combined total of 5 tons.
Chris Beierl
2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD

sjholt
Explorer
Explorer
I am currently working on the rear of the MH now.
I have two 5 ton jack stands under the rear axle.
I just cross rotated the tires front to rear. My 22,000 lbs jacks will raise the rear tires of this 23,000 lb MH off the ground and even tho these jacks don't leak- I still won't chance it.
I'm also gonna crawl under it to do the cross bracing. I already did the front.
Skip
1996 32' Monaco Windsor DP
Cummins 5.9L 230+ HP
5 Airbags in front- 4 in back

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
My coach sits at 47,800 pounds...I don't crawl under it....of the 10 or so posts so far, only ONE is failsafe....just sayin....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

PortWentworthSa
Explorer
Explorer
I put blocks under my leveling jacks and raise the coach off the ground....all wheels off ground. Then I block the frame with wood blocks. Slowely lower off the jacks to reliever pressure. I can then rotate all my tires and do whatever service is needed down under.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ivylog wrote:
Most will have automatic safety jacks, often called leveling jacks.
Ivy, be a bit careful saying such. The installed jacks really can't be considered 'safety jacks' in that there is no way to physically lock the jacks in the extended position and prevent inadvertent retraction or other such lowering of the coach due a failure associated with the hydraulic system. The risk of system failure is probably very low but the results can be deadly. Same with an air bag based system.

Myself I use the jacks to get the coach up then place 12 ton jack stands under the chassis before I go underneath.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

gat75
Explorer
Explorer
WARNING,
My neighbor was killed about 30 years ago when his air brakes leaked down & caused his 40' Bluebird to roll forward off of wood ramps. He was in the worst place possible when it rolled forward. He was laying down working under the low-slung steel generator "box."
Wished I could give a solution to op's original question, however, just had hand surgery!

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do a couple of things.

Drive up on some home made ramps...~3.0"
Drop the jacks
Attach the hose from my compressor set at 120 psi.

With the 3" blocks, I'm safe even if the air drops which is unlikely since it's still supported by the jacks and the air compressor keeps the air up unless I do something incredibly stupid (always a possibility)
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most will have automatic safety jacks, often called leveling jacks.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
My leveling jacks will raise the front axel off the ground, so I use it as a jack, and then block as required to hold the coach while I do what is necessary.

The back axel jacks will not raise it off the ground, so I simply raise it as far as it will, and place blocking to insure I don't cause it to release the air and lower its self. my blocking is 12"X12"X2' wooden blocks
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.