cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how in the heck to pick a used class A

susanka
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 1999 Fleetwood class A we bought from my son and used a few times, but it needs to go to motorhome heaven. We want to buy a nice used one and are stymied as to how to know what to choose.

Our budget: Up to 65,000.
Only the two of us.
DH's priorities: 30 feet, no more. Well built inside and out.
Mine: Lots of storage, decent kitchen space. Comforts of home on the road but don't need a bunch of slideouts or things like a fireplace. We like our no-slideout Fleetwood but it's worn out. Don't want to feel like it's poorly made. We'll use it several times a year for 2-week to 1-month trips. We live in Colorado.

We've looked online for a while but find all the possibilities confusing. Can anyone give us advice about the most efficient way to look? Thank you in advance!
43 REPLIES 43

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
susanka wrote:
Thanks, everyone, for your help. We've done a lot of research now and looked at quite a few class A's as we're traveling. We're going to look at a 2011 Coachmen Mirada 29DS tomorrow, in perfect condition, but the price seens low. Spposedly the buyer is in very motivated. Can anyone tell me if that brand and model is generally a good one? I'm looking it up on the net but coverage is spotty so i can't do a lot. Tank you so much for your thoughtful answers.

When you find a model on RVtrader or other listing service that you like, do a search and select videos and generally you can always find a walkthrough tour of that model, regardless of year. We found that really helpful at screening out the ones we didn't want to waste time with. The videos won't be for the exact one you are looking at, but a Dealer video back when they were new.

For example, here is a walkthrough of one like you are looking at

Mirada 29DS
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

susanka
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, everyone, for your help. We've done a lot of research now and looked at quite a few class A's as we're traveling. We're going to look at a 2011 Coachmen Mirada 29DS tomorrow, in perfect condition, but the price seens low. Spposedly the buyer is in very motivated. Can anyone tell me if that brand and model is generally a good one? I'm looking it up on the net but coverage is spotty so i can't do a lot. Tank you so much for your thoughtful answers.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
lj2654 wrote:
I'd shop and shop for a 30' Foretravel or something along that line. Not sure if they make one that short or not.

Assume you are talking about DP's not the gas coaches they built in the 1980's.

If so 34' is the shortest DP they built.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I would buy a top of the line used gasser! Most top of the line RV's are built strong and come with Arctic packages very well insulated.

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
I'd shop and shop for a 30' Foretravel or something along that line. Not sure if they make one that short or not.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
cwdavis wrote:
Hello,

Your $65K budget will buy you a really good used motorhome. Just to get an idea of what it might buy, goto rvtrader.com, click on Find at the top, and then set the following filters:

Type: class A;

Make: scroll down to all makes and then check off the following boxes,
American Coach, Beaver, Country Coach, Foretravel, Holiday Rambler, Monaco, and Safari (or any other combination that appeals);

Click on Update at the bottom, then set the
Length to a min of 32 and a max of 34 feet;

Then run the search. The results will be roughly sorted by price, so scroll down until you get into your price range, then start looking at the particulars. You'll start with about 2008 models ...

Best of luck,

BINGO Thanks for saving me the time!
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

cwdavis
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

Your $65K budget will buy you a really good used motorhome. Just to get an idea of what it might buy, goto rvtrader.com, click on Find at the top, and then set the following filters:

Type: class A;

Make: scroll down to all makes and then check off the following boxes,
American Coach, Beaver, Country Coach, Foretravel, Holiday Rambler, Monaco, and Safari (or any other combination that appeals);

Click on Update at the bottom, then set the
Length to a min of 32 and a max of 34 feet;

Then run the search. The results will be roughly sorted by price, so scroll down until you get into your price range, then start looking at the particulars. You'll start with about 2008 models ...

Best of luck,
Bill & Ann Davis
1995 36' CC Intrigue
WHTAL!FE

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
susanka wrote:
We have a 1999 Fleetwood class A we bought from my son and used a few times, but it needs to go to motorhome heaven. We want to buy a nice used one and are stymied as to how to know what to choose.

Our budget: Up to 65,000.
Only the two of us.
DH's priorities: 30 feet, no more. Well built inside and out.
Mine: Lots of storage, decent kitchen space. Comforts of home on the road but don't need a bunch of slideouts or things like a fireplace. We like our no-slideout Fleetwood but it's worn out. Don't want to feel like it's poorly made. We'll use it several times a year for 2-week to 1-month trips. We live in Colorado.

We've looked online for a while but find all the possibilities confusing. Can anyone give us advice about the most efficient way to look? Thank you in advance!

Why "must" this go to motor home heaven. It might be because you made a mistake when you bought it but it's certainly not because it would cost more than $65,000 to resolve any issues you might have with it. Even if your plan is to send it to heaven you must put some value on it and so would some buyer. We own a 1988 coach and it's great. We are planning to have it re-painted soon and with all the interior updates we could likely keep if forever. I doubt we will, but we certainly will expect some value out of this wonderful motor home if or when we do.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

22WANDER
Explorer
Explorer
When we started looking we wanted to keep the length to 30ft also. But what that does it gives you 1AC unit and a 30amp service. We have 32v Itasca And it has 2AC units and a 50amp service, plus a 4 door Ref. Plus a Another chair behind the CoPilots seat... Now 2ft is not a lot, but in a motorhome it makes a big difference. In just saying these are some things to consider....Good luck and Happy trails to you...

pslocum
Explorer
Explorer
If you find a floor plan that you like within the perimeters you set, price length..........and so on then I would look for wear on the inside furnishings, counters and such and also see how clean it appears in spots that you would really need to clean out of the way stuff. All this just to,get an idea as to,how it's been cared for. Make sure the fridge and freezer are working properly along with other appliances hot water heater..........if your buying from a dealer make sure you feel comfortable with the service they will provide.........but most of all you have to love the floor plan and feel comfortable not just settle because of others factors price ........and so because no matter what they are if you don't love it you will regret not looking more. Best of luck:B
2017 Winnebago Vista LX 35F
Lund 1675 50 hp Honda
FMCA F462274

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's a personal process with what might have work for some won't work for others. But since you asked -

We started out as looking for out first RV by going to the Hershey Show here on the east coast. Talk about a head spinning, on your feet all day, gazillion models to look at. Hit a show in Atlantic City, Washington DC, Richmond, one in North Carolina and such over the winter. The shows gave us a fell for the various floor plans and allow us time to establish a list of likes, dislikes, wants and needs. We zeroed in on a primary floor plan and a back up we want and started looking at the used market. Since I had several specific models that fit the list the searching wasn't all that hard.

After a few months of reviewing new listings as they appeared a coach with the floor plan we wanted in the year range that was acceptable, within our budget range and a day drive away showed up on a dealers lot. Did the 800 miles round trip twice and the third time drove the coach home with the car on a U-Haul dolly. The two trips to inspect and negotiate the sale were the last time we stayed in a hotel.

What we were not prepared to do was exceed our budget. If you find the one but you can't get the price down then walk away. You can love a coach but it will never love you back. Inspecting is paramount regarding the condition of a coach. The dealer I was working allowed me just about unlimited access to the coach so I was in, on and under the coach for several hours checking everything. Even pulled an engine and transmission oil sample to get sent out to analysis (at my cost).

Good luck and have fun. We used the weekend shows trips as a get out of town weekend. About what we do now but in the coach rather than a hotel. List the Fleetwood on Craig's List for a few thousand with the tag "As is, Where is, Cash Sale". Easier than working out a trade in and you might get a few more dollars selling it yourself.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

big_jim_2
Explorer
Explorer
Read bjopp suggestions again as he has nailed it!

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Condition is the important factor when buying a used RV.
A low end unit in excellent condition is usually a better choice than a high end unit in poor-fair condition.

Be prepared to compromise on what you want.

Look at everything in you budget range, don't limit it to the make.

when you find something you like, concentrate on that make/model. But, be ready to make a compromise.

PPL Motorhomes is a good place to search, they have the floor plans on the advertisement, it will give you an idea without seeing the unit in person.

When you narrow it down to certain RV's, don't forget to check the tire age. RV tires usually age out before they wear out. You may find the right motorhome and then realize you need to buy new tires.

Use the search as a learning experience and ask lots of questions on the forum BEFORE you give the seller any money or sign any agreements.

Hire a RV tech to do the inspection if you feel you are not capable.

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever you liked about your old one look for in the new one. Whatever you did not like about your old one make sure the new one corrects. Make a "must have" and a "nice to have" list. The lists will help simplify the looking. Don't get hung up on colors an cosmetic stuff. Buying used you must focus on the really important items and take what you can get cosmetically.

We just went thru the process and our present rv fixes what we did not like about the old one, but some small things we would have done differently if buying new. We are now in the process of changing those items to suit us.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley