cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How Old to Buy?

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to buy a Used GAS class A to fulltime in. I plan to fulltime at least 10 years and possibly as long as 15, before I settle down in some "retirement" type setting. How old of a MH should I consider, knowing I will be traveling some and sitting some for a number of years? My income will not allow me to spend 100K on the MH, as I will need toad and a bit for emergencies, but am a bit flexible, as I will be selling TT and F150 to offset part of purchase price. I am slightly handy, but will have someone do major maintenance and repairs. I don't do ladders, so will have all roof work done too.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS
29 REPLIES 29

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you that are suggesting getting a fiver... that isn't an option for several reasons.. first they have steps inside and my knees don't like steps.. second my truck won't handle a very big one. and as I am a female who will be traveling by myself (except for occasional grandchild visit), I want a Motorhome for security.

I am thinking Gas instead of diesel because of maintenance cost.. and the fact that I have NO CLUE of how a diesel engine works. I have quiet enough issues convincing repair shops here not to assume because I am female I will go along with whatever they say. I won't have any knowledge to bargain with on diesel.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

DRTDEVL
Explorer
Explorer
I would go the opposite direction. Get a late 90's Safari or Beaver Class A Diesel. 1996 saw the introduction of slides, and these can still be had for well under $50k. The more TLC it needs, the cheaper it should be. Mine, for instance, was only $5200 in the end, but it needed a LOT of TLC (new roof, new tires, new fridge, new convection combo and a total remodel of the kitchen and bathroom) and is a 1995 with no slides. Once you have the coach, get the roof rebuilt if needed, otherwise get the rubber/fiberglass/whatever replaced with a spray-on roof. They come with 10-20 year warranties and are allegedly maintenance-free. Replace the tires with new Firestone FS580 PLUS radials (good, yet budget-minded) and enjoy the road.

You will be much happier with a 36+ foot diesel coach in the long run.
Resurrecting an inherited 1980 Minnie Winnie 20RG from the dead after sitting since 1998..

Mike_Hohnstein
Explorer
Explorer
Buy the biggest fiver your pickup will carry.

JayGee
Explorer
Explorer
topflite51 wrote:
If I were to start full timing, I would sell my MH and buy a truck and a 5er. Since you already have the truck, buy a bigger trailer if the truck you have currently is sufficient to tow something larger. If it is not, low mileage pick ups are readily available out there that can tow something larger. JMHO

I like this advice.
Jaygee

2005 Bounder 35E on F53 chassis

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 2002 model because here in Montana anything over 10 years old can have a permanent registration. Or so I thought. Actually, it is 11 years or older, so I had to pay the registration fees twice.
Now, I will never have to renew the registration as long as I own it!
That's nice!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

HHg_in_Austin
Explorer
Explorer
As new as you can afford.....

Hhg
HHg in Austin
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40-QBH
2018 Chevrolet Tahoe Toad

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
JimM68 wrote:

Coincidentally, Ford came out with the V10 engine in 1999, and also widened the frontend track considerably. You can spot older ones from across the parking lot, a '98 460 coach the front tires are so far inside the wheelwells it looks like, well u know, like the front tires are so far inside the wheelwells.
"

the same is true for the chevy P-30/32 chassis. front tires are recessed on the older ones.
but be sure of the age of the chassis, not the motorhome as some manufacturer's had the old chassis and put them under three year newer motorhomes.
bumpy

bob_b1
Explorer
Explorer
wannavolunteerFT wrote:
I will be selling TT and F150 to offset part of purchase price.

Are you financing the difference? On any coach older than 10 years, bank loans are harder to find than Bigfoot.

If paying cash, I'd look for a premium-quality coach if going older than 10 years.

I bought a 10yr-old motorhome. I financed it and it took forever to pay off (Live and Learn...its now cash or tent-camping). The motorhome is now 21 years old, but requires constant preventative maintenance to keep it going. Its only saving grace: Its a Diesel.

If I had purchased a 15-yr-old premium coach for the same money (Foretravel), I would have saved a lot of money over the years. Yeah, they are pricey but aren't as needy.
'93 Itasca Suncrusier diesel towing a '05 Honda CR-V.
Bob, Pam(DW), Bridget(DD) and Christine(DD)
See you at most of the Penn State tailgates:)

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Without a budget this is tough...

IMHO slideouts are good. More slideouts are always better than less. Slides began in 1999ish and were very common by 2001.

Coincidentally, Ford came out with the V10 engine in 1999, and also widened the frontend track considerably. You can spot older ones from across the parking lot, a '98 460 coach the front tires are so far inside the wheelwells it looks like, well u know, like the front tires are so far inside the wheelwells.

The early V10's had a 4 speed trans that didn't have tow/haul. So if you see a tow haul switch, it is a 5 speed trans, teamed with the new 362hp 3 valve V10.

PLAN on a TOAD. Anything. An old Saturn. a Jeep. almost any 4x4 or manual trans front wheel drive car (do your homework here) but get something to drive around while your home is "Home"
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

Flyfisherman128
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 92 Winnie..had it for 10 years. I now find it hard to get parts.. If you are going to keep your coach for 10 years or more, I would think not more than 5 years old on the purchase.

okgc
Explorer
Explorer
I am slightly handy, but will have someone do major maintenance and repairs. I don't do ladders,I don't do ladders, so will have all roof work done too.

Look for MH 5-10 years old with a fiberglass roof like Winnebago or Tiffin. 2nd choice a 2005 or newer Newmar with a BritTEK roof
2010 Tiffin Allegro RED 36 QSA with GMC Envoy
Alaska 2015

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
If I were to start full timing, I would sell my MH and buy a truck and a 5er. Since you already have the truck, buy a bigger trailer if the truck you have currently is sufficient to tow something larger. If it is not, low mileage pick ups are readily available out there that can tow something larger. JMHO
:CDavid
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable ๐Ÿ˜›
Any errors are a result of CRS.:s

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
if a ford, make it a 1999 or newer chassis with the 19 inch wheels. if chevy, avoid the old P-30/32 chassis which was rebranded as a workhorse.
2005 and newer should be safe.
bumpy

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would look in the mid 2000's for a gas coach since most made after 2004 will have decent engines and newer systems in the coach. Both the Ford and GM engined coaches from the mid 2000's should go 200,000 miles with normal maintenance and they are new enough that parts are available at most auto parts stores. Some of the GM powered coaches have an Allison transmission which is known to last a long time with minimal maintenance. Try to find a low mileage coach that was not used by a full-timer. This would have lower hours on the systems and less wear on the furnishings. If the electronics are already updated for TV reception, that is great.

Fishinghat
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't normally recommend buying new, but in your case it may make sense. Since you'll have to have much of the maintenance work done by others, buying an older rig, while cheaper initially, will require more preventive maintenance.

Since you'll be living in your rig full time, bigger is better. Normally, a 45 ft diesel pusher that is 10 or more years old would be a good choice. But, in your case, maintenance costs might become prohibitive.
Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow