cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing MaxxAir vent cover - question

GoalstoDreams
Explorer
Explorer
I am getting ready to (hopefully) install a vent cover on my bathroom vent. I've installed one on another RV but the frame of the vent on the roof of that unit was metal. My vent frame on this RV (2007 Itasca Spirit 25F) is fiberglass/plastic. Before I go drilling holes in this puppy, is there anything I should know? Or am I way over thinking this (which wouldn't be a first)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sue
Sue
Arizona
http://sehow1966.wordpress.com
13 REPLIES 13

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe wrote:
I had MaxxAir covers installed by the dealer, but I ran into a different problem on my way to Alaska one summer. It never gets totally dark, and there's a vent directly over my rear bed. I stopped in Dawson Creek, BC at Canadian Tire (like Sears). They had stacks of black plastic "cardboard". A knife and some double sided Velcro kept the "Midnight Sun" out when sleeping, but still removable during the day. I still have them, in case I find a CG that leaves lights on at night.

We had similar problem boondocking in college parking lot for football games. We liked parking right next to the little islands that have light poles because it gave room to open the awning and tailgate. We never did anything to black out the vents/skylight, just "tailgated" hard enough during the we didn't notice the light at night 🙂 🙂 🙂
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
Bordercollie wrote:
Before installing Max Aires, good time to replace vent lids with good polycarbonate ones if not done previously. The cheaper standard Max Aire fit over our vent fan lid, slightly restricts opening of lid.

I've meant to put MaxxAir vents on all my previous Rvs, but never got around to it on any of them. My newest RV the Itasca 31K has roof vents that seem like the corners would crack if you even look at them - worst vents I've had on anything. I put 4 MaxxAirs on a few months ago to help with any possible leaking issues with the regular roof vents.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I had MaxxAir covers installed by the dealer, but I ran into a different problem on my way to Alaska one summer. It never gets totally dark, and there's a vent directly over my rear bed. I stopped in Dawson Creek, BC at Canadian Tire (like Sears). They had stacks of black plastic "cardboard". A knife and some double sided Velcro kept the "Midnight Sun" out when sleeping, but still removable during the day. I still have them, in case I find a CG that leaves lights on at night.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Before installing Max Aires, good time to replace vent lids with good polycarbonate ones if not done previously. The cheaper standard Max Aire fit over our vent fan lid, slightly restricts opening of lid.

fortytwo
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced an old vent, installed a Fantastic fan - with plastic frame - and then a vent cover a week ago. My vent cover had stainless machine bolts. Wanted to use washers, but not room enough for them. My only glitch was that the machine screws were too short and I had to buy longer ones. Couple of hundred miles in some pretty good wind so far with no problems.
Wes
"A beach house isn't just real estate. It's a state of mind." Pole Sitter in Douglas Adams MOSTLY HARMLESS

RVWithTito
Explorer
Explorer
I would first try and find any screws on the existing vent that you could unscrew and use to hold both the vent and vent cover. Sometimes the second screw from the end will line up with the bracket on the vent cover. I was able to install my 4 vent covers without having to drill any new holes. You may have to dig away some DICOR sealant in order to uncover the screw head.

If you do have to drill new holes don't worry it's no big deal as long as you seal it up nice. Here's a video I just posted installing a Fan-Tastic Vent that might help calm your nerves about drilling new holes and give you tips on waterproofing the vent.

Good luck!
2007 Four Winds 31F Class C; Ford E450 Chassis; 250 Watts Solar;

RV Solar, Towing, DIY and Tips on my website RVwithTito.com
Watch My Video Tips at YouTube/RVWithTito

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Installed three MaXXair's several years ago. First, an "original" onto the sheet metal flange of the bathroom vent. I used the stainless machine screws, nuts, and related washers provided in the small parts kit. I had misread the product literature and was disappointed the "original" did not come with the quick access hardware that's standard on the MaXXair-II's. That said, no vent cover issues of any kind with that one.
The two others were MaXXair-II's onto Fantastic Vents, which have thick plastic flanges. It's been awhile, but I don't think they came with self-tapping "sheet metal" screws as an alternative to to the machine screws. It took me a VERY LONG time to get far enough into the Fantastic units to install the nuts and washers. From what I hear lately, self-tapping stainless screws are the hot setup for plastic flanges. Just drill the hole and drive the screw.
This is where it gets odd. One of the two MaXXair-II's is sitting pretty. The other has worked loose a couple times. I removed it in a rest area last month so we wouldn't totally lose it. I found one machine screw, rest gone. Selected self-tapping stainless screws that would catch well in the worn machine screw holes. I think they're #12 because I went up with #10 and didn't like the way they didn't seem to tighten solid.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

ronfisherman
Yup, way over thinking it. I had original MaxxAir vents. A couple years ago replaced them with MaxxAir II's. Had no problems installing them also. Did have to drill new holes. Plugged old holes with caulk.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
I installed two last month. Didn't think too much about it--used a drill bit I had on hand, the exact size as the directions called for and all the washers etc. they included in the package--for our unit it called for the bolts, not the screws, and it was a relatively simple job. I didn't run into any issues and our Itasca Spirit is getting up there. I also replaced the screen on one of the fans as well and found the whole assembly came apart relatively easily and even more important went back together too.
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
Step drill in two or three stages.

Jose

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
All very good suggestions, I may add another, just make sure that you have a very sharp drill bit to do the work, so you do not put undue pressure on the housing while drilling as not to crack it.

I found that out the hard way. Not on one of these but on another kind of thin plastic used in RVs.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't think much different. Be careful drilling hole so not to crack the frame, drill on slow speed so plastic doesn't get to hot and be sure to use the large washer on inside of frame to spread pressure out on the plastic frame.
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Try to drill the holes exactly the correct size for the screws. If possible to practice on scrap would be helpful. Too small a hole might crack the surrounding material when the screw is driven in.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)