Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ISC Fan Clutch Replacement $4000+ ?

elhajj33
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all,

We have a 2009 Fleetwood Excursion 40x with a cummins ISC engine. Yesterday afternoon, while driving down into Sedona on I-17, our serpentine belt snapped. As it snapped, it broke the wiring on the fan clutch.

Reliable Diesel, out of cottonwood, just left a few minute ago. The quote I got has the following:

Fan Clutch $2040
Coolant: $179
Belt: 92
Labor (14hrs): $1470
Fetch Parts from Phoenix: $500.

This is our first mechanical breakdown and we're having a bit of sticker shock. The numbers seem up there. Thought I'd get some advice. Any mechanics out there?
2009 Fleetwood Excursion 40x DP
Photographer: www.certainpointofview.com
35 REPLIES 35

MrWizard
Your right, of course he doesn't care
But at least there is a record of the complaints
And this helps when a dispute goes to court
It shows his intend to gouge customers
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
MWJones wrote:
elhajj33,
GOOD FOR YOU!!!! Take control of the situation. Don't be robbed by a dishonest person!! Report him to the BBB and the Chamber of Commerce in the town that he is in. See, you do have choices. Let us know the out come.

I can surely bet a guy like this guy could care less what the C.of.C. or the BBB thinks or says

MWJones
Explorer
Explorer
elhajj33,
GOOD FOR YOU!!!! Take control of the situation. Don't be robbed by a dishonest person!! Report him to the BBB and the Chamber of Commerce in the town that he is in. See, you do have choices. Let us know the out come.
M Jones
American and Texan by birth
Christian by the Grace of God
Retired and enjoying Traveling and Camping
Spending part of summers in South Fork, Co

11178adm
Explorer
Explorer
is the fan clutch an electric or is it a air clutch controlled with a electric solenoid. a air operated fan will have a 1/4 inch plastic air line going to it and that line will lead back to the solenoid. most air fans are spring applied and air release and the wiring and solenoid are not mounted directly on the engine. if it is a spring applied air fan you can plug the air line and the fan will run all of the time but you can drive it to someone less costly. I agree that you need to find why the belt broke at that low mileage, usually that belt drives the fan, water pump and alternator and also has a belt tensioner pulley, a bad bearing in any of these will cause the belt to break, a bad bearing in the water pump will cause it to leak coolant

elhajj33
Explorer
Explorer
BobR wrote:
Why not replace the belt and splice the wiring and check operation? I would try this approach before putting presents under the mechanics Xmas tree.

hey bob: totally agree! I got in there today and saw the extent of the damage on the cable. I'm hoping i can just replace the clutch wiring harness. I got the part number on the harness and will call Horton tomorrow. will also call freightliner.

I thought the $500 being charged by "Reliable Diesel" to go to phoenix was unreasonable. I called freightliner and they said they can ship the part as long as someone goes to phoenix to pay for it. I arranged for someone to go there and do it and called the mechanic back.

He basically told me that he's wasted enough time with me and that if I want him to do it then just pay the $4000. If not, I can just go find someone else. I didn't get get aggressive with him, but that was far too condescending. I called GoodSam and filed a complaint since he is in their network.

Nothing Reliable Diesel told me has added up. Freightnliner told me i can replace the clutch without replacing the hub (that would save $750 in parts. #2 They told me I can have the part shipped to me (he insists I pay him $500 to go to send one of his guys to Phoenix. #3 He never gave me a root cause. #4 he won't even listen to the possibility of replacing the wire harness.

I'm going to move on from that mechanic and have some numbers for other folks to call.

also going to take GreyGhost's advice about calling Massey's in Phoenix. I also called http://arizonafleetservice.com and had a great conversation with Shawn today. He agave me some diagnosis steps and asked me to call him so we can be totally ready if i need them to come out tomorrow.

BobR
Explorer
Explorer
Why not replace the belt and splice the wiring and check operation? I would try this approach before putting presents under the mechanics Xmas tree.

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
Of course I dont know anything about diesels, so maybe the above clutch isnt the same your needing, but seems to be the ball park of other clutches I found in the search. $700-$800 markup on the clutch is too much IMHO
Found the same partnand called freightliner. The fan clutch is two parts: clutch and hub. Clutch is $1000 and hub is 750 from freightliner.
My frustration is the mechanic got very aggressive with me when I started asking questions. I'm not the type to be rude, but I wanted to ask: is the clutch actually bad or can we just replace the wiring? What was the root cause and is there more we need to replace? He had not identified what caused the belt to break.
The coach has 16,000 miles on it so it's just a bit odd. Also, the 14hrs seemed high. I know I need coolant because we overheated and had some spillage. Not sure I need 10 gallons though...

I think you figured it out hes ripping you on parts prices,labour and shipping

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
usersmanual wrote:
does not help OP one bit but this is a real good example of where side cooling systems are so much superior

Why? Are they that much easier to get to?
The parts would be the same.

the parts are not the same.Side cooling has a hydraulic driven 'fan
when the belt blows it does not do any damage as fan is no where near the belt system. belt takes about 30 minutes or less to change and cost about $30

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe some of cost is like the Toyota timing belt replacement, needs to take water pump off, most shops replace water pump and coolant or don't do the job. Too many returns in just a few miles with water pump failure and of course it's their fault.
14 hours labor seems a bit high R/R on a radiator is about 10 hours. Most likely sending a guy for parts at shop rate not some parts go fetcher.
Since you have a bid with all parts needed I would call around and most likely find a much better deal.

LEN

Greyghost
Explorer
Explorer
Give a call to Masseys RV and Truck Repair in PHX in the morning. They're honest and won't gouge you. 602-233-1700
or contact them here Masseys Ask for Tom.
Pat & Roger Fisher
2005 American Tradition 40W
2012 Honda CRV EX-L 2WD,
Jewel, Clifford and Thor - Bouvier Des Flandres

univmd
Explorer
Explorer
We have 77k miles on our ISC now. Our belt snapped as we headed out on a trip at 50k miles. We were able to limp back home since we were less than a mile away. The alternator seized. We had the alternator rebuilt for $300. We bought new belt $35. We had to cut the wire to the clutch in order to get the new belt in. We did all the diagnosis and labor ourselves, in terms of removing and reinstalling alternator and belt, and reconnecting clutch wiring.

Definitely want to find out why belt snapped at 16k miles, otherwise new belt may snap too. Alas we are at the mercy of service centers when faraway from home on road!
2008 Gulfstream Tourmaster
2011 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Baseplate & Socket Wiring
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar
US Gear Unified Tow Brake

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer
elhajj33 wrote:

My frustration is the mechanic got very aggressive with me when I started asking questions.

I know your probably at his mercy, but if not, I'd tell him to stick it in his...umm...ear. A mechanic who won't give you an extra 10 mins to explain things sure isnt who I'd want ( trust ) to do my work.

Also, $500 just to drive to Phx and back? They will probably just sent a broom pusher making $10hr to pick it up. I have a son that lives in Phx who could use a little extra cash, but I'd have to check with him on his schedule ( if your mech would allow it ).
Current: 1987 Georgie Boy Encounter 34',John Deere chassis,460c.i./C6.
SOLD-2012 Cougar XLite 27RLS
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
SOLD-2004 Shadow Cruiser Fun Finder 189FBR
Just the Wife and I.

elhajj33
Explorer
Explorer
JimInMich wrote:
Quick search and found a fan cluch on ebay for about $1300 shipped:
Fits Freightliner FLN 2000-2005 with Cummins ISC Engines & Sterling Acterra, L Line 2001-2002 with Cummins ISC.

Of course I dont know anything about diesels, so maybe the above clutch isnt the same your needing, but seems to be the ball park of other clutches I found in the search. $700-$800 markup on the clutch is too much IMHO.

Found the same partnand called freightliner. The fan clutch is two parts: clutch and hub. Clutch is $1000 and hub is 750 from freightliner.

My frustration is the mechanic got very aggressive with me when I started asking questions. I'm not the type to be rude, but I wanted to ask: is the clutch actuallly bad or can we just replace the wiring? What was the root cause and is there more we need to replace? He had not identified what caused the belt to break.

The coach has 16,000 miles on it so it's just a bit odd.

Also, the 14hrs seemed high. I know I need coolant because we overheated and had some spillage. Not sure I need 10 gallons though....

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
usersmanual wrote:
does not help OP one bit but this is a real good example of where side cooling systems are so much superior

Why? Are they that much easier to get to?
The parts would be the same.

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
New engine for my 2006 gasser.