cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leave on Fridge?

cccougar
Explorer
Explorer
When storing for the winter, if you can plug into power, is it best to leave fridge on? I thought I read somewhere that when left off for long periods of time, there are chemicals in cooling packs that become separated. Leaving on can keep it going for 15 years instead of 5 if turned off and on constantly. Any truth?
25 REPLIES 25

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Ours gets turned off and doors propped open each time we get home from our many campin trips throughout the season. I have yet to hear any arguments to the contrary that make any sense.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
We leave it on. The fridges seem to like it better.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Happily_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Our motorhome stays plugged in to power at home, and our RV tech, who we really trust, says refrigerator needs to stay on. So it does!!!
2014 Thor Axis

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Ours runs on both propane and electricity and shifts automatically. We actually leave ours on since we have the MH plugged into our home supply, not using propane.

Its convenient as an extra reefer for a few items. I believe these are good quality units that should last for many years.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

I have an RV fridge in the garage of my stick and bricks.

It has been running 24/7/365 for about 10 years now.
It is still running perfect.

I did have to defrost it last year though.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
We live in Southern California where the daytime temp in the MH in the summer can exceed 100 when it is stored next to the house. Therefore the MH is plugged in during storage and the frig is always on. I think this is better for the door seals. JMHO

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's a game of craps.......toss the dice and hope.

Many have had no problems turning them ON/OFF
Many have had no problems leaving them ON

Operating them off level........that is what I believe causes the majority of problems. ff level operation disrupts the designed gravity flow, causes overheating, causing plating inside the tubes like plague build up in an artery until it causes blockage.
Off level operation causes a little bit of damage each time..it is accumulative and irreversible

So whether you choose to turn ON/OFF or leaving running.......do so with a level rig each and every time
(ON when traveling is not an off-level condition.....bouncing/rocking doesn't disrupt the natural design flow)

Our current 5vr fridge has been ON for 7 yrs. (Full Timed)
Previous trailer.......fridge was turned ON/OFF 1985 thru 2004
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I turn mine on in the spring and off at the end of the camping season. It's ten+ years old now. I think leaving it on all winter when not in use is a waste.
FWIW, when in use during the summer it uses about $6 a month at home.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

It will go through about 5 kwh per day. In a month that works out to about $18.00. I turn mine off.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
Full timers rarely have trouble with the fridge. Leave it on.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

BillyandKris
Explorer
Explorer
I had heard that with a residential one, but not sure if true. Surely not true for RV refrigerator ???? Will be interesting to see answers here.