cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macerator pump issues

tommy_salmon
Explorer
Explorer
Help please! My 2013 Winnebago Vista 35F has 1-1/2 baths. The half bath has it's own black tank with a macerator pump to pump the waste to the dump. After opening the valves to dump and operating the pump I get barely a trickle of liquid and the pump shuts off after running about a minute. After a short time I can run the pump again with the same results. I'm assuming that the pump works but is overheating due to the lack of liquid flowing through it. I'm guessing I have a clog between the black tank and the pump. Any suggestions on clearing the clog that doesn't involve a really nasty mess on me and in the compartment where the pump is? Thanks in advance for your help!
2018 Thor Chateau 24F
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
2011 Harley Davidson Road King Police
Gorgeous Wife, 4 kids, 18 Foster kids, Retired State Trooper/Former US Marine.
20 REPLIES 20

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
tommy salmon wrote:
ljr869 - there isn't any shower. This is a black tank for a half bath (toilet only) and as far as I know, nothing but "normal" black tank content. My teenage daughter "may" have put something else in there, but being a typical Dad, I don't know. Guess I'll find out when I take it apart.

Teenage daughter would be a clue around here. They wouldn't want anything in the trash because it might accidentally be discovered. Out of sight, out of mind and you'll NEVER know, even though you told her. I know how that works,,,,,, at least around here.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

tommy_salmon
Explorer
Explorer
ljr869 - there isn't any shower. This is a black tank for a half bath (toilet only) and as far as I know, nothing but "normal" black tank content. My teenage daughter "may" have put something else in there, but being a typical Dad, I don't know. Guess I'll find out when I take it apart.
2018 Thor Chateau 24F

ckwjl
Explorer
Explorer
tommy salmon wrote:
The macerator pump is located AFTER the bayonet valve.

My confidence in the engineers at Winnebago has been restored. Good luck with the repair.

ljr869
Explorer
Explorer
You either need a hair trap on your shower drain or somebody is putting things down the toilet that shouldn't be going down there.
Jim
2009 Fleetwood Bounder 35H
Ford V-10 w/ Banks

MURPHY55347
Explorer
Explorer
I also have a 35F and why did they not think to put a drain plug in that compartment with the macerator. We had a coupling come loose and when we pulled the handle, things got ugly pretty quickly. Ended up being buckets sponges and then the shop vac. The smell is still not completely gone. Oh and buy the way lets put the inverter in there for good measures.

tommy_salmon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone! I think I will use Old Biscuit's illustration and just bite the bullet and do it, but I will most definitely do it outdoors and have a water hose handy!
2018 Thor Chateau 24F

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it's as you've described, then it's a pretty simple operation. Plan on it taking you about 60 minutes and about $30 in parts.

1. Close knife valve.
2. Remove all wiring from the pump.
3. Remove the 3" semi rigid flex hose.
4. Remove the bypass hose.
5. Remove 4 screws attaching the pump to the coach.
6. Remove the pump assembly.
7. Take the pump assembly apart. (see link below)
8. Inspect ALL interior parts. The stainless two piece grinder is usually the one that gets the hair and gunk attached to it.
9. Inspect and replace, if necessary, the impeller. This is your pump mech that pumps the fluids through the macerator.
10.Reassemble the pump assembly and reinstall it the opposite order of removal.
11.Attach all wiring.
12.WITHOUT turning the pump ON, slowly open the knife valve and check for leaks. Tighten as necessary.
13.If no LEAKS, turn the pump on and flush away.....

It's best to have a repair "kit" before you begin. The big kit will be about $50. There's a gasket between the two halves of the pump itself. This gasket has a tendency to break if you're not careful. You can make a new one by buying a sheet of gasket material for about $6 at NAPA....If you clean the macerator annually as part of your yearly maintenance, you'll not need the impeller kit, but if this is your first time in there, I'd buy and use the $50 kit....Dennis

Jabsco Service Kit

You can google the part number and maybe find it less expensive. I simply used the above as a reference...feel free to PM me is you have a particular question. I've installed several of these pumps and service mine yearly....D
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
tommy salmon wrote:
Old Biscuit, Big Katuna - THAT'S what I was afraid of! Was hoping someone could offer a way to avoid it! DW said from now on we should only " do number 1" in that bathroom!

You can avoid it by taking it to the dealer. DIY or pay someone else. Those are your options. I remember fixing the pump on our house septic once. Take this issue x 100. Wasn't fun but I got over it and saved some money. Good cleanup and a beer afterwards and all was right with the world.
2013 ACE 29.2

tommy_salmon
Explorer
Explorer
Old Biscuit, Big Katuna - THAT'S what I was afraid of! Was hoping someone could offer a way to avoid it! DW said from now on we should only " do number 1" in that bathroom!
2018 Thor Chateau 24F

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep. Been there done that. That's how I learned that M pumps need taken apart cleaned and impeller replaced periodically. Someone may have put a candy wrapper or a sani napkin too.

Get a bucket or pan a hose rubber gloves. Clear the area of pets and children and have at it.

Please report back.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

tommy_salmon
Explorer
Explorer
The macerator pump is located AFTER the bayonet valve. The 3" pipe from the bayonet valve then reduces down to about 1 or 1-1/2" before going to the macerator pump. I suspect that this is where my problem lies, but I have not taken anything apart yet because I don't want to have a nasty mess inside the compartment and ON ME when I open things up. Granted, the only amount of mess will be what's between the bayonet valve and the macerator pump, but still, I'd like a sanitary way to do this! Changing diapers on my kids was nearly enough to kill me, much less dealing with this kind of mess!
2018 Thor Chateau 24F

ckwjl
Explorer
Explorer
If I have this correct, your macerator pump is between the black tank and the knife value. Wonder if you could insert the wand or hose of a wet/dry vac down through the toilet to empty the tank in order that you may detach the pump to repair it.

draboo
Explorer
Explorer
Is your macerator enclosed within the black tank,or is outside?(like installed as an accessory).

I just installed a macerator pump and had problems,which I posted aboot here on this forum. Mine was acting the same as yours. I took off the 3 inch hose where it connects to the macerator and could see the blades were clogged up solid with some sort of cloth. I took off the four bolts and pulled the cover off and cleaned out the blockage. It worked great until..

I started having the same trouble again. This time it was only about 15 seconds between the pump being turned on and the FUSE BLOWING. I took it apart once again, and, yep, another large cotton rag clogging up the works. It came apart again and cleaned out.

Word of caution: (and I m assuming you have a Flojet macerator).

When tightening the four brass castle nuts that hold the cap on, do not use much torque when tightening. I snapped off one of the 4 brass rods that held the cap on. Brass cannot take much torque. I replaced it with a cheap 3" length of allthread from the hardware store. I coated the all thread with grease before installing it with hopes it will prevent rust. I now have 8 spare rods.