cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Made A Mistake

gwol
Explorer
Explorer
Made a mistake by stopping by an RV Dealer yesterday while spending the week in Palm Springs. Just window shopping as we already have a 1995 Carriage Callista Cove that we love. Although it has no slides and is starting to get a little sluggish on some of the hills, we love the lay out in this little 28ft class C, which we own free and clear.
Yesterday we showed a little interest in a 2006 Fleetwood Tioga 31M (2 slides) with only 10,000 miles on it's Ford E450 chassis. While it only has 10,000 miles on it the unit is beat up, it looks like it was used as a college, party house, every thing is stained and soiled. Also when I was checking under the hood I noticed that the transmission fluid had like "coffee grinds" in it. We also like this floor plan but with a price of $59,000. (Asking price) we would go from no payments to a monthly RV payment. We use our motorhome 2 to 3 times a year on long trips (600 to 1500 miles) and once every other month on short get aways, close to home trips under 100miles.
I'm sure I will be able to get the price down, looking on line I see the same models selling for $45,000.
Dilemma, to go from no payments to $300~$400 a month just doesn't seem to make sense. On the other hand we love our road trips and the Callista is getting old with 53,000 miles. This new only only has 10,000. miles. When is the right time to bite the bullet and trade up?
1995 Carriage Callist Cove.
My Dinghy
36 REPLIES 36

mda
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on all the replies. It's the devil you know!

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Dakota98 wrote:

If it were me, I'd use that $4,800 a year to buy more Beer & Twinkies. :B

Best idea yet!

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
amandasgramma wrote:
Transmission is fried......run away. You can find MUCH better rigs for less.

Double ditto.

Keep your rig, fix her up engine a little (for less than the monthly payments for a different rig.) Your rig is just now breaking in. It may be all you need is a tune-up.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Travelcrafter
Explorer
Explorer
Coffee grounds = burnt friction material. use the money you WILL spend on a transmission rebuild and update your old reliable!

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
Change the words to the Beach Boys song to RUN, RUN, RUN.
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Trade if you must but not for that one :E
In addition to everything else start putting $500 per month into an RV savings fund and see how you like payments.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
I agree RUN LIKE THE WIND!! away. You know what you have. Why buy into problems. Never never never go onto a sales lot. That is where the trouble starts. LOL
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
That MH could very well have sold for less than $59K when it was brand new.
NADA new base MSRP
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
Read your post back to yourself and ask why? Why is this even a logical question! Forget it and move along....
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
As the others have said I would run away from that one.

If you are looking for a good used RV with maintenance records and with in an affordable price range you might look at the Ex Rental market as I did when all I could find was ones that were used up or not taken care of.

Read the Thread in my signature about buying a rental, to find out more if you are interested.

There is a Sales Location in Dublin, a bit of a drive but it may very well be worth it, and now they are having a SALE on.
Good Luck
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would surely continue with the rig already owned and paid for, even if the Tioga was well cared for at a lower price. The mileage on your old rig is not concerning. Since you like it, just keep enjoying it. When you get to 125,000 miles driven, then you might start contemplating how much longer until ready to make a switch. You could get over 200,000 miles without major issues, but you'll have to be well disciplined with maintenance.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
You haven't made a Mistake Yet. Leave that deal in the dust and it'll stay that way.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with the others. If you are going to make payments, don't make them on that one!!!....you can do much, much better for that amount of money...in fact for just a little more you can get into a lot of new ones...

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't make another one.
gwol wrote:
When is the right time to bite the bullet and trade up?
Definitely not the time when the tranny has coffee grounds in it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
Keep the one you have!!