cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My friend calls me crazy!

Mick9064
Explorer
Explorer
My friend calls me crazy for spending 70K for a motorhome. He makes the case that hotels and restaurants are a much cheaper way to vacation. I average 30 nights a year. Initial cost is 2 times more than a car. Gas 4 times more.

What is your thoughts?

Thanks,
Mick
47 REPLIES 47

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
The primary benefits of a camper of any sort are mostly intangibles. Like not getting a rash. Or bedbugs. Not having to pack and unpack all your clothes. Having your OWN bed every night. Being able to cook your own meals if you are of a mind to do so. Being able to take along your favorite contraband from the airways.

As for saving money, well, maybe. It really isn't all that clearcut. If you stick to WallyWorld parking lots with a few COE or NFS or BLM campgrounds (for $10-$20 a night) and cook ALL your own meals, then yes, you can save money. If your tastes run to fancy camping resorts at $100 a night, then probably not. YMMV.

Tell your friend "different strokes for different folks" and "don't buy a camper/motorhome" and "have a great time however you choose to travel.

SuperiorBound
Explorer
Explorer
fourthclassC wrote:
Tell your friend not to buy a camper and have a nice day.

Your money your choice.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
MSGTRETIREDCSP wrote:
From an economic standpoint, rv'ing certainly is not cheaper. Ask your friend how the smore's taste at the hotel? Ask him about all his neighbors that he got to know while sitting around a campfire. Does he go outside in the morning to enjoy a cup of coffee and enjoy the sunrise? Or a cool beverage during sunset in the evening? I'm curious if the grilled steaks or burgers taste better in the motel than on your own grill. How many friends has he made from Canada or other northern states while spending some winter months down south? How do the raindrops sound in a motel room compared to your rv while parked in the forest?

Come to think of it, when you get are everything into consideration, maybe rv'ing is more rewarding.

absolutory true Lance just for instance we visited once for an rv you were interested in at our rv park. I still enjoy asking you what is going on just for fun. Never had a motel couple really say hi or maybe just a hi on passing in the hall. Now we can ask what the heck did you buy that truck for it is junk. Just a story not true but the meaning is the same for just visiting.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

MSGTRETIREDCSP
Explorer
Explorer
From an economic standpoint, rv'ing certainly is not cheaper. Ask your friend how the smore's taste at the hotel? Ask him about all his neighbors that he got to know while sitting around a campfire. Does he go outside in the morning to enjoy a cup of coffee and enjoy the sunrise? Or a cool beverage during sunset in the evening? I'm curious if the grilled steaks or burgers taste better in the motel than on your own grill. How many friends has he made from Canada or other northern states while spending some winter months down south? How do the raindrops sound in a motel room compared to your rv while parked in the forest?

Come to think of it, when you get are everything into consideration, maybe rv'ing is more rewarding.
2016 RAM Tradesman, 3500, DRW, 3:73, B & W hitch.
2007 Select Suites 5th Wheel

Claybe
Explorer
Explorer
Tell your friend you didn't spend 70k on a RV, you spent 70k in order to get away from people who have no clue what it is like to be free!

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Tell your friend that if he's following your motorhome down the Interstate and you come up on a 5+ mile backup, don't come knocking to use the bathroom.

It's not about saving money. It's a great way to travel and see America (But not from the Interstate)

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
fourthclassC wrote:
Tell your friend not to buy a camper and have a nice day.

This, LOL.

You can take a RV lots of places where there are NO hotels. Lots of beautiful, amazing, places.

And besides that, I hate hotels. They are always stuffy and airless. You have to drag your stuff in and out every time you stay. Then there are the potential issues with bedbugs, foot fungus, allergies, etc that can be totally avoided when you stay in a RV.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
There you go Mick. All of us in the asylum agree that you are NOT crazy!
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
Mick9064 wrote:
My friend calls me crazy for spending 70K for a motorhome. He makes the case that hotels and restaurants are a much cheaper way to vacation. I average 30 nights a year. Initial cost is 2 times more than a car. Gas 4 times more.

What is your thoughts?

Thanks,
Mick

He's right.
Owning a motorhome makes no financial sense. Nor does owning a boat, a plane, a pool and a dozen other things.

That said - we're in ours for other reasons.
And we have no intention of every trying to make financial sense out of it. 🙂

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
fourthclassC wrote:
Tell your friend not to buy a camper arnd have a nice day.

This. He'll never understand.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
One other factor I missed in my last post. Some of the sites I've parked my RV have been quite exotic and would be extremely costly for an identical location in a hotel. Right up to the sand on the beach for example in a very high rent district. Lakefront, riverfront, oceanfront, or otherwise spectacular and exotic. There is value here which may not reflect on some kind of comparison balance sheet.

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto on everything, and also, when was the last time you met a neighbor in a hotel hallway and made a new friend?? We do almost every time we camp at a CG as we walk the park.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
moebedick wrote:
I had a friend who criticized my choice of truck,sports sedan,sailboat etc,etc,ad nauseum.
I got new friends.
Did he ask how much you paid for everything? Because I've had a few of those. It's very rude.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

The_Logans
Explorer
Explorer
I like knowing that I always have a clean restroom about 10 feet behind me, wherever we travel... it's all about the family time together anyway, not the cost.
Me, My wonderful Wife, 2 Bluetick Hounds, a Newfie, a Cairn Terrier & a Black Lab / Newfie Mix.
2018 Jayco Alante 31v

moebedick
Explorer
Explorer
I had a friend who criticized my choice of truck,sports sedan,sailboat etc,etc,ad nauseum.
I got new friends.