cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Older class A, could become mine

Parallel_Lines
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I have found a 1999 Monaco Windsor that is in great shape. We are considering buying it as our first motor home. Once we get acquainted with RVing we will decide if someday we want to move on to something newer. The price is around the same as the first years depreciation on a new RV, so if we decide that RVing is not for us we don't stand to lose too much money.

We need the experience in order to decide if we might want to spend time touring the country in a motor home after we retire. We have budgeted money for yearly maintenance and repair. I am having the unit inspected today by a diesel mechanic with a CDL. I have already located a good truck repair shop that can do any work that is necessary in the future. I have already passed the written test for my class B drivers license (this unit is over the weight limit for a class C license in my state) and will do the practical when I get the motor home.

I understand that I will have to spend some time studying the manuals when I get the unit to understand how all the systems work. I worked as an aircraft mechanic, repairing jets, for six years so I have a fair understanding of self-contained mechanical systems, and I can follow a manual. ๐Ÿ™‚

I'm interested in hearing comments from experienced RVers. Have I missed anything? Is there anything else I should do or prepare for?

Thanks.
15 REPLIES 15

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
That money that you budgeted for maintenance...double it! But it's worth it!!! When I bought mine I didn't have any records so I got the great idea to just have a place I know change all the fluids and filters, lube chassis and oil hubs. My first bill for service was over 2k. The next for some actual repairs (some of my own making) cost 7K. The last year has been more like what I am hoping is normal. As I said it's worth it though. I will be retired in 23 days and we are heading from FL to the Grand Canyon and back in 4-5 months. Have fun in your new coach!!!
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder C-12 505HP
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased my old 1998 klunker just over a year ago with no service records and no independent inspection. So far so good. At this age it's all about condition.

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I think you're going about this perfectly! You'll be capable of fixing some things and you're planning ahead financially for anything major. A 1999 most probably will have had many things replaced already. If your inspection checks out, ENJOY!!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Monaco has manuals online for these models, but as Tom said, they are somewhat generic. Better manuals are available for the various OEM components like stoves and refrigerators.

Buying an older coach that was high quality when built is a good starting point. Fix the things that are broken. It helps if you can do most of this yourself, and you can if you're at all mechanical.

Use the rig for a season before deciding what needs to be done to "make it yours". We took out the recliner and lamp table and moved the TV to that space. Made viewing TV much easier on the neck.

Sure, things are going to break, whether on a 17 year old coach or a brand new one from the factory. On a new coach, you take it to the dealer or factory to be fixed under warranty. On the older rig, you fix it yourself. Make sure you check the fridge for a safety recall and verify whether it's been done or not.

I like the old buses. They're not the typical paper-bag motor homes you see everywhere.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
Do not be surprised if you find the manuals to be very very generic. Sometimes to the point of useless.

GTN_and_Catz
Explorer
Explorer
F Y I:

How To Determine The Age Of Your Tires
Gene
2003 36' Rexhall RexAir
2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Demco Kar Kaddy SS
Blue Ox Aventa II
2 Ragdolls
1 Tabby

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe you will get lucky, but expect to have to fix and replace lots of stuff and it's expensive. My son has a 2003 Holiday Rambler Class A and it's nice and appears in "good condition" but it's just something wrong all the time and each fix seems to be many hundreds of dollars.
Jayco-noslide

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
don,t trust the tires they look great but they start rotting from the day there built.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
I think you're doing a fine job. Enjoy your new rig if it passes your tests.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely check the date codes on the tires. RV tires usually age out before they wear out.
Keep us updated on your progress. Have fun, that's what RVing is all about.

nma33
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds to me like you have a good plan in place. Having the coached checked out is fantastic, best to know exactly what you are getting into. Make sure the tire dates are checked too, Tires can be costly to replace if unexpected. Use all the systems on board to make sure they all work. Look around for water damage, water damage is not an RV's friend! I am sure you'll get lots of great advise on here! Good luck with your purchase!

golfman_1
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck. You will enjoy the lifestyle.
2000 Mountain Aire 4093 Double slide DP"the Dreamweaver"

2001 Honda Odyssey

Retired and living life to the max.

See you on the road.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think that is a great opportunity for you to see IF this is something you want to do in the future. RVing is not for everyone and actually trying it is really the only way to find out. As you say, you will not lose too much if you find out that it is not what you imagined it would be.
I hope things work out for you and you can join the rest of us that travel the roads seeing things that others will never experience. Best of luck with your new endeavor.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
You might start here:

RV Inspection checklist

I'm using this currently on a unit.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.