Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Opinions on Class A Quality

aliceinanthemaz
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,

I'm selling my 24ft C and moving up in length to +/- 35ft and was thinking A because I will be full timing. My budget is around 120-140K and of course I'm looking to get the best quality for my money.

Wanted to hear personal thoughts/experiences on brands.

Also, I was thinking of consigning to sell the 24ft C. So far I've read positive things from people on Facebook. Anyone not have a good experience selling this way?

TIA, any opinion welcome.
Diagnosed with wanderlust at an early age
29 REPLIES 29

Dance_Chick
Explorer
Explorer
eheading wrote:
I think many times we confuse "features" with "quality". The presence of a tag axle, Aqua Hot heat, etc., is a fine list of features that one may consider indispensible or not worth the cost. However, to ME, and I emphasize the "me", quality means the coach was assembled correctly, durable components were used, and that visits to the dealer/factory to have repairs made are either minimal or non-existent. We had two medium to high end diesel pushers, and a couple of years ago downsized. Most of the shorter diesels we found were closer to the entry level for diesels. Well, the Newmar Ventana LE that we purchased, was a high quality coach in my opinion. We had very few issues with it, things worked right, and have continued to work right through the 17,000 miles we have driven it. Features?? Sure it lacks a number of features that we had in our previous coaches, but the ones it has all work reliably and as advertised.

Ed Headington

I think this is well stated. A lack of certain features doesn't necessarily mean lack of quality.
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

eagle281
Explorer
Explorer
You are going to have some problems with most any coach.
But if you stick with Newmar, Tiffin, Or Entegra, I think you will be happy.
We bought a used 2012 Newmar Canyon Star and love it.
DURAMAX/ALLISON
DURANGO 2500 325

krivanj
Explorer
Explorer
I too am a Fleetwood fan.
Three friends have had major problems with new high end Tiffin DPs, for what it is worth.
Using Schwintec slides is a deal breaker for me
Fleetwood Revolution LE 38X
2011 Scion TC toad

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
aliceinanthemaz wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm selling my 24ft C and moving up in length to +/- 35ft and was thinking A because I will be full timing. My budget is around 120-140K and of course I'm looking to get the best quality for my money.

Wanted to hear personal thoughts/experiences on brands.

Also, I was thinking of consigning to sell the 24ft C. So far I've read positive things from people on Facebook. Anyone not have a good experience selling this way?

TIA, any opinion welcome.

Fleetwood has always been good to me, I am on my 3rd Fleetwood, pre bankruptcy Fleetwood's, I have a 08 Bounder 33 ft on a Ford chassis and has been great so far, only paid $69,900 for it 30 months ago, could go used around 5 years old with little use and save $70,000, don't buy a used diesel the repairs/maintenance will eat you alive..

Go slightly used gas motorhome, save money and you wont loose thousands the day you buy it like a new one will.

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
I think many times we confuse "features" with "quality". The presence of a tag axle, Aqua Hot heat, etc., is a fine list of features that one may consider indispensible or not worth the cost. However, to ME, and I emphasize the "me", quality means the coach was assembled correctly, durable components were used, and that visits to the dealer/factory to have repairs made are either minimal or non-existent. We had two medium to high end diesel pushers, and a couple of years ago downsized. Most of the shorter diesels we found were closer to the entry level for diesels. Well, the Newmar Ventana LE that we purchased, was a high quality coach in my opinion. We had very few issues with it, things worked right, and have continued to work right through the 17,000 miles we have driven it. Features?? Sure it lacks a number of features that we had in our previous coaches, but the ones it has all work reliably and as advertised.

Ed Headington

CWDoc115
Explorer
Explorer
We traded for our '99 Winnebago Adventurer and started full timing shortly thereafter. Hind sight being 20/20, knowing what we know now, the list would include;
leveling jacks
a second toilet
slide outs
roof mounted satellite dish

The only maintenance issues that we have had occurred due to my inexperience with motorhomes. (noobie)

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
If buying used and you don't know the seller it's a mystery? You my buy the best coach ever or a lemon and all brands have made lemons from time to time! More coach history you have the better!

stevec22
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1998 Foretravel U320. It is still a very solid coach. I would recommend that you look at Foretravels as well.

With your budget you would be in the 2003- 2005 era, perhaps a little newer if you are persistent.
1998 Foretravel U320

2005 GMC Yukon 5.2L 3.42

LOG
Explorer
Explorer
I consider our 36' Foretravel to be a quality motorhome. It does not have a tag axle or Aqua Hot, but it does have air leveling and side radiator. I actually like our propane furnaces, but most would prefer the Aqua Hot. There are few 36' with a tag axle.
LOG
2005 Chinook Glacier

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
JetAonly wrote:
Strangely I have found a simple test to see if it a "Quality" MH. Tag axle, Aqua Hot, and Air Leveling. There are few quality MH that have 2 out of 3, those that have hydraulic leveling instead. Any that have all three gets it down to condition and floor plan.

Hmmmm..... our 40' Newmar didn't have a tag or Aqua Hot but we found it to be excellent quality.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

boomersooner198
Explorer
Explorer
We are researching Class A Gas Motorhomes (we want new) in that price range and I keep coming back to the Tiffin Allegro 34PA or the Newmar Canyon Star 3710 or 3712. These motorhomes hit all of our must haves and not only on this forum but on others it has been repeated time after time that these two manufacturers stand solidly behind their products with impeccable customer service. We went to the Atlanta RV Show this past weekend and I was very impressed with the Newmar and Tiffins, not so much the Forest River we walked through.
Bob and Brenda
Army Retired / Army Veteran
Sooner, Sumay, and Tex (German Shepherd, Walker Treeing Coon Hound, Mutt)
2011 Coachmen Catalina 24RBS towed by 2016 Ford F150 Crew Cab

s_N_s
Explorer
Explorer
Foretravel is a good one to keep in the mix. They build a very quality unit. Good Luck on your search.
Steve & Sally
Hudson (Our Little Pom)
HiTee, Houston & Heidi (Forever In Our Hearts and Never Forgotten)
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22
05 pt Cruiser Vert 5 speed
Demco baseplate with Commander Tow Bar

"Never try to outsmart your common sense"

keepingthelight
Explorer
Explorer
In that range, I would look for a used diesel pusher made by Tiffin, Monaco, HR and Newmar to name a few. If you can buy from a private party that has ALL the maintenance and repair records the better. There are sellers out there who are very anal with their MH's.

Good luck ๐Ÿ˜‰
05 Tiffin Phaeton 40 QDH w/4 slides
CAT C7 350+ HP MP-8, Aero Muffler, AFE Filter
06 HHR LT Toad
Ready Brute Elite

PatStab
Explorer
Explorer
We are starting to look for another coach too. Our old 1992 is showing its age. Though my husband keeps up with the repairs its getting to be to many.

We looked at a 2006 Excursion and it was very nice and we felt a fair price. we don't want to spend more then about $80000 maybe $85 as we want to pay cash and not finance it. so that will get us another older coach but hopefully one that has been maintained. However after having an Eagle its hard to get something else, the quality of this one has been good. This will put us in the 2003 or 2004 age range. I have seen several that seem to be well maintained, we will just have to select a few and go see them and drive them. My husband will have to check them over. One of the main things we want are slides, gets mighty small in here for hubby, our dog, myself, and the cat though she doesn't take up much room. Also when we take our daughter with us we need more room.

Good hunting for you and us.