cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Sirius" radio problem, 2008 Bounder

65FalconLover
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a 2008 Bounder with the factory optional Sirius radio. The radio faceplate actually says "Sirius Radio" so we know it is equipped with it and the previous owner says it worked at one time. We can't seem to find that satellite band on the receiver. We have the owners manual as well and have done what the instructions tell you to get it but it skips by any kind of satellite band when going through the options such as AM/FM/AUX1/AUX2 and even a Short Wave band that it has but nothing indicating Sirius or XM even.

Anybody have this problem that has an idea what to do? I'm thinking that it could have an external receiver or whatever that has taken a dump but have no real clue. One option is taking that beast into a stereo shop but I'd rather not.

Thanks,

John
21 REPLIES 21

Doug_and_Cassi_
Explorer
Explorer
Moisheh,

Yes, it uses my data plan but I have unlimited data.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
XM/Sirius is great. Got a "free" 90 days when I bought my new pickup. I loved channel 32 ("The Bridge") BEWARE, tho....once they got your charge card #....it's an AUTOMATIC renewal...unless you call and opt out.

IMO...that stinks. But....if you think it's worth $175.95 for a year...go for it. You MAY be able to call and get your renewal for 1/2 price...but even then, as much as I liked the product, for that kinda money, I'll put my bucks in the gas tank.
I opted out and got cancelled. Then I get snail-mail offering 6 months for $25. Knowing it must have some kinda trap to get my $175.95...well, there's just too much freestuff over the air. Just put up with commericals...or play your CDs.
FWIW.

65FalconLover
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, all! I'll be looking under the dash and firewall to find the box and check all that out next week. It sounds like the external box, if there is one might be what's going on. I know the system we had in our last truck had an external XM receiver like you're describing and sometimes it would fail and/or need rebooting but even then it would show up on the radio display but I guess this system is different.

Thanks again!

John

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Doug Glass: Doesn't that app use your data plan?

Moisheh

avidude
Explorer
Explorer
I'm guessing you have the poor quality Jensen radio that Fleetwood installed. If you are stepping through the various inputs or bands and Sirius is not showing up as an option, the radio is not seeing the Sirius box. It's an outboard box that plugs into the dash radio. Ours was attached to the firewall at the far left side. Check to make sure it is getting power (fuse not blown) and the cord to the radio is plugged in tight. Its also possible that the outboard box has failed.
Ted

--
'07 Bounder Diesel 38S
Cat C7 300hp, Allison 3000MH
Tow: '11 Chevy Tahoe LTZ

Southwind98
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2008 Bounder and when I flipped thru the mode selections the first time as you already stated FM/Am/Aux1/Aux2/Weather/and Sirius would pop up. The activation code would be displayed, which I activated. Odd that it is not cycling thru the selections, even if it not getting signal. Almost like someone deleted it from the selection process, which I doubt could be done. If this helps you at all, my Sirius external box on my RV is located under the dash on the driver side near the brake pedal, with the antenna located up on the roof on the front cap of the RV. Good luck.

Also just a heads up, I installed a twelve disc CD changer up in the cabinet over the driver side. The CD player on the radio will skip if you hit a severe bump.
Will & Michelle
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38P
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1990 Jeep Wrangler

Doug_and_Cassi_
Explorer
Explorer
Get the Sirius app for your smart phone. App free, subscription for wife and me was about $30 a year. Then for about $20 get one of the little gadgets that plugs into the ear bud socket. Then your cellphone will play over any speaker system that has FM on it.

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
So as a 65 Falcon Lover?... have you ever been to Argentina? Ford sent much of their production equipment there in ~64. 1964 Falcons were everywhere when we were there in 1995, and they have slowly evolved over the years, but are still very similar. I thought that I was in a time warp. They also were proud of electrification/street lighting projects in Buenos Aires, and people drove around with their lights off at night to celebrate their success? It was easy to get run over in the dark.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

footslogger
Explorer
Explorer
I think the point was that if you can receive the promo channel your antenna and receiver are working properly. The OP was having trouble getting his radio to function. He was not asking about the merits or value of subscribing to Sirius/XM.

Terryallan wrote:
norwestie wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Hey guys. You can search all you want. But unless you are a PAYING customer. You can't listen to Sirius. It skps past.

Not true. Both Sirius and XM have promo channels that advertise the programming that is offered. Once the receiver is activated, the other channels will be available.

So your saying they have a commercial channel you can listen to. But can't listen to the real programing. Like I said. IF you ain't paying. Your not getting the product. Just the advertiseing.
footslogger

2004 Country Coach Allure 33' Cummins 370HP ISL
400 Watt Solar Array M&G Braking System
2003 Honda Element (and as many canoes as I can carry!)

65FalconLover
Explorer
Explorer
Let me try this again. I currently have XM in two vehicles, and have had it in other cars and trucks for several years so I understand how it all works. My only problem is this particular radio. On every other receiver we've owned the XM broadcast would come on but only their commercial "overview" broadcast, no regular programming. Once you call and activate your new radio they send a signal to it and you're on your way. On this radio I can't get ANY satellite signal, it's like the radio itself is not XM/Sirius equipped but in fact it was, or was.

I'm not looking for Pandora or a new CD collection, I just want my XM to work. If somebody has had this issue, and I can't believe nobody else has, can you please describe what I might look for?

Thank you!

John

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
norwestie wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Hey guys. You can search all you want. But unless you are a PAYING customer. You can't listen to Sirius. It skps past.

Not true. Both Sirius and XM have promo channels that advertise the programming that is offered. Once the receiver is activated, the other channels will be available.

So your saying they have a commercial channel you can listen to. But can't listen to the real programing. Like I said. IF you ain't paying. Your not getting the product. Just the advertiseing.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

RE-TE
Explorer
Explorer
Go to channel 1 should have the serial number and possiby the 800 number you will need to call to activate the radio, you will need the serial number,your name, address and possibly a telephone number where you can be reached. As others have mentioned its not cheap but it is commercial free and close to 300 channels.
I have it in every vehicle I own and motor home. Make certain you are not parked in a barn or under a tree the antenna must be unobstructed.
Good Luck

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Pandora beats XM/Sirius hands down, and it is free (with a few commercials). You can even load in fav stations, and shuffle. SAT Radio wont do that.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

65FalconLover
Explorer
Explorer
norwestie wrote:
Terryallan wrote:

Exactly right, we've had XM (which is now Sirius/XM) for years now and the radios will pick-up a broadcast commercial until you activate. The radio itself should also be able to display a code of some sort used to activate the subscription. As I said, the radio once had Sirius working and the owner said it just let it lapse. I'm trying to figure out what might have went wrong or am I missing something else?

We like being about to listen to our choice of music or weather and traffic info anywhere in the country regardless if we're within radio range. It's a really nice system if you've ever had it.

John