cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Residential Fridge Misc. Topics

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since I've made the tentative decision to replace my Dometic with a Samsung when we return from our summer trip I've been mulling over a few details. One of those is securing the doors while traveling. I've seen quite a few OEM installation where they used a device attached to the freezer door with a little "J" hook that rotates up and grabs the two fridge doors. What are they called and where can one find them??

Second is the age old question of power use when on the inverter.

I've seen several post where (sometimes)a second dedicated set of batteries and a separate dedicated inverter is used and I don't understand why that is better than just tapping into the the existing inverter and battery bank. Looking at the battery loading it would appear that the fridge would draw roughly 19 amp while running which isn't insignificant but still not that bad since it does't run all that often.

Has anyone played with the duty cycle?? It would seem that raising the freezer temp to....10 to 20 or so and fridge to...42 would really drop the load power requirement and the temps would be in the range associated with an absorption unit.

Thanks for any input.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad
13 REPLIES 13

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
The new ones I've looked at have a added door lock of some type, usually metal.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
I was just wondering if the new motor homes that come out with residential refrigerators if the doors stay closed or are those refrigerators the same as the after market add on's.

That is one thing I never have liked where if you do not have something to secure the doors on add on residential refrigerators the doors fly open and food all over the floor.

Seems like the new coaches would have the doors that do not fly open. Not sure!
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for all the replies.

Personally I had no intention of changing or adding an inverter or extra batteries. I had just noticed in previous posts that some did something like that and was wondering why.

I do like that french door clamp and will go that route but will have to make it black to match the fridge.

The 19 amps current draw I mentioned was my simplified estimate of the battery power necessary to supply 1.9 Amps AC. If the duty cycle is only ~60 percent than changing temps as a power saving measure wouldn't be necessary. I currently have a 3000 watt PSW inverter, 6 220 AH batteries, 300 odd watts of solar, and normally run the get set 2 to 3 hours in the morning and 4 hours in the evening for household use.

Thanks again for the responses they have been very helpful.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

Alphamonk
Explorer
Explorer
2chiefsRus wrote:
french door latch

we have the Samsung RF18. We did not add batteries or change out our inverter when we added the Samsung. We still use our 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter with 4 6 volt golf cart batteries that we use for the rest of the coach. We have dry camped for up to 2 weeks at a time. We also have an auto gen start that we set to run whenever the batteries need to be charged. No problems so far, knock on wood.

This is the latch I installed and it has worked flawlessly.

JFC
Explorer
Explorer
We installed a residential a couple of years ago. Stuck with four house batteries that came with the coach. Replaced inverter with pure sign wave because old inverter had problems at the same time. Doors held shut with velcro strap around the handles and freezer with elastic straps and velcro. In two years, no problems and DW loves it.

Dance_Chick
Explorer
Explorer
Our doors came open easily (Samsung RF18). We cut about 8" off a swim noodle and put it between the handles when traveling to hold the 2 doors in place. We put a velcro strap on each side of the bottom freezer.
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
I would not try to raise the temperature of your refrigerator. We keep ours at 34 with the freezer at 0. We do not secure our doors. We purchased plastic trays that fit nicely on our refrigerator shelves. We have one for our condiments, another for beer and another for bottled water. With most everything stored in trays nothing shifts and no need to secure the doors. Nothing falls our when we open the doors. The trays also make the transfer process from the house to the RV easier.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
We have a residential refrigerator and have set the temperature as cold as it will go without freezing the refrigerator food. This is due to my prior experience in foodservice. But back to the point. Don't install another inverter you will use more energy. If you do anything add more battery capacity. Depending on the size of your inverter you may need to install a larger inverter. Keep in mind that standard inverter / converters actually produce "Modified sine wave" or "stepped square wave" power. This is very poor power to run motors on and they consume more power. You may wish to upgrade your inverter / converter to a pure sine wave inverter.
FMCA member

MrWizard
Child proof snap buckle type locks, with flexible strap
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
french door latch

we have the Samsung RF18. We did not add batteries or change out our inverter when we added the Samsung. We still use our 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter with 4 6 volt golf cart batteries that we use for the rest of the coach. We have dry camped for up to 2 weeks at a time. We also have an auto gen start that we set to run whenever the batteries need to be charged. No problems so far, knock on wood.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
We simply use a bungee to secure both the up top doors. The freezer door stays shut by itself....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
My 21 CuFt draws 8-8.5 amps DC... less than a 100 watt light bulb and my educated swag on the duty cycle of less than 60 percent.
I went with a separate battery/inverter/charger/transfer switch mainly to increase my charging amps and to run the AC compressor with PSW power... not necessary with the Samsung as it has DC compressors. My 2012 inverter/charger has never put out it's rated 100 amps charging (closer to 60 amps) so I added a 100 amp charger and can tie my two systems together when using the generator to recharge the batteries.
Based on three months of using this system, I can go 36 hours before needing to recharge my 500AH battery bank which is twice as long as the house battery system... 800AH. Two 125AH batteries would be a better match although I do run a Sat receiver/DVR/TV on this system which I leave on 24/7.
I used child proof locks to keep mine closed.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Toddupton
Explorer
Explorer
You don't want a fridge at 42 degrees