cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV GPS??

Licreek
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning, so what's everyone using for their rv gps?? Iv tried to research on line, a good onebut all the user reviews are not good. Either the software is good but hardware is poor. Or the software takes you all over the planet to get to your destination?? Please let me know if you've found a good one! Thank you, Lee
17 REPLIES 17

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
We are using Garmin 660. I also use the NUVI52. I tried another brand but returned it after one trip and went back to Garmin.
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
I just got a Garmin drive 61, but haven't used it yet. Seems like it will be fine. My old one is a 2006.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

petrel
Explorer
Explorer
Garmin 770 here. I have had good luck with it both when driving an OTR rig and my RV. However, I use the Garmin plus Google Maps and the Rand McNally MotorCarrier's Atlas. None of them will stand alone when operating a large vehicle, but they work well together.
43' Renegade/Coronado '06
2017 F450
2001 Ford Excursion PSD
1997 F350 Crew Cab PSD

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
I was going to buy one but on this last trip (newbie) I found that the good sam RV trip planner worked fine for the initial route (hazards and such) and then google maps on the ipad for specific destinations with voice through the stereo worked very well.

The good thing is google tends to keep relatively current. I am just going to get a good holder for the ipad and leave it at that.
She may be old but she is paid for (the rig that is)

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Upgraded to the Garmin 770 as it doesn’t require a computer to update as it has it’s own WiFi based software. Have only used it once or twice so far and it worked well.

I personally don’t trust Google maps as it cant get people to my house which is on a main road.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
Garmin 760 here but it is terrible. Google maps on my phone and a trucker's atlas work lots better.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Google Maps in my smart phone works great for me. I don't need a special GPS. I also use Motor Carriers Atlas to show me the routes the truckers use.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned or borrowed Garmin, Tomtom, & Rand McNally GPS's and they ALL have problems. Sending me into empty fields, repeatedly insisting I was off the road and loudly proclaiming that I needed to turn around when I was on a freeway, asking for big bucks for Canada or Mexican maps, etc. etc..

Well, I just finally had it with messing with expensive name brand GPS systems and looked on eBay for a generic. And found there's a bunch of them. What I settled on was a car/truck/bus configurable type, 7" color screen, Mediatek GPS with free maps, supported by an open source community of people who just like working on maps. Free lifetime map upgrades. Mexico and Canada included free.

And the best part was that the Mediatek only cost $49. I just checked and it's no longer available but nearly the same thing is...

7" GPS

I've used mine for 18 months now and really like it. The big screen really suits the RV pilots area. I've had it route me around low bridges or away from tight downtown streets several times as I have it configured to consider my vehicle as a bus. All the routes it's taken me on for the last 18 months have been fine.

Since the generics are just as good as the name brands these days (they all use the same maps after all), and several times less expensive, seems like an easy choice.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
Licreek wrote:
Good morning, so what's everyone using for their rv gps?? Iv tried to research on line, a good onebut all the user reviews are not good. Either the software is good but hardware is poor. Or the software takes you all over the planet to get to your destination?? Please let me know if you've found a good one! Thank you, Lee

I simply google or mapquest and make or print a few notes
easy and simple and accurate

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
GPS in heading posts
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
Garmin RV770 here. Works great.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
We use a Garmin 2589 LMT, 2497 LMT, and a 550. Also a box of paper maps. Routes are done on the computer with Garmin's Mapsource then up loaded to the GPS. Sometimes they try to recalculate the route different then we had planned. That's one reason for the paper maps hi lighted route with post its.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Did you search this Forum for `gps' or Google online? Lots of discussion on this Forum. Our Garmin `dezl 760LMT' seems to work for us but it is not perfect but neither is my personal navigation.

X1, I especially like the large screen which makes it very easy to read while driving and the ability to use the voice command feature while actually driving.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Did you search this Forum for `gps' or Google online? Lots of discussion on this Forum. Our Garmin `dezl 760LMT' seems to work for us but it is not perfect but neither is my personal navigation.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)