Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RVs are High!!! The Conclusion!!

Spizzer
Explorer
Explorer
All,

A month or so ago I posted a thread on suggestions about being able to utilize my RV garage for a class A. (thread here) The ceiling has a low portion of 11' 7", and the door opening goes 12'. In the far end, the width changes to 9' 6". Most RVs, especially newer models, have the A/C on the roof, making their max height well over 12' 5", and some to 13'. The pre 2009 Winnebagos and others had residential air in the basements, which made their max height 11' 6" to the "highest standard feature". Through the 8 pages of the thread, I recieved a lot of thoughts and suggestions. Thanks to everybody, I appreciate it.

After measuring and checking and measuring and checking, our first pick to begin with, a Winnebago Journey. We finally bit the bullet and bought one (luckely without the satellite dome)drove it back to Colorado and after about 30 minutes of work, got it to fit in the garage.....Talk about a stressful exercise!!

I have a finger width of room between the side view camera and the wall on the passenger side and a finger width of room between the drivers mirro and wall on the opposite side. I am going to notch out my drywall to give me another 3/4" of clearance for the camera to allow for the coach tipping on the airbags if it does.

Here are some shots:

Jeff
Retired AF, retired contractor, really retired!
2007 Winnebago Journey 34H 350hp Cat
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad with Air Force One
85 REPLIES 85

Spizzer
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
It's going to be a matter of time....LOL

Believe me, I keep thinking about that. I've gotta never attempt it without my DW as a spotter. It took us a while to get it in!

Jeff
Jeff
Retired AF, retired contractor, really retired!
2007 Winnebago Journey 34H 350hp Cat
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad with Air Force One

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
I was just wondering,

Just what was that garage built for in the first place? They've had "wide body" RVs since around '99 haven't they? Even the narrower bodied units would still be snug fit. I mean, if the OP didn't build that M/H garage, than the previous owner must have and if so, what was he intending on fitting in there? He had to have known that RVs of todays world are a certain width and, that does not include the mirrors etc.

I can see not going too high, that's a problem with many RVers out there but, just wondering about why build it so narrow and yet, it is supposedly for a motorhome?? Just wondering.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

CC_Crabman
Explorer
Explorer
Can you extend the slides?

SolidAxleDurang
Explorer
Explorer
427435 wrote:
If your mirrors can't be swung in, consider changing the mounts. That's what I did in a similar situation.

Edit: Opps, looked a the photo's again and see that your mirrors do swing in.

May they didn't swing in before he started... They do now!
TV = 15 Ram 3500 Dually 6.7 / CC-LB / CTD / Aisin / 3.42 / 4wd / EBrake
5er = 12 Keystone Avalanche 330RE
Toys = 08 Kawasaki Brutie Force 650i 4x4 ( x2 ๐Ÿ™‚ ) 14 Arctic Cat Wildcat 1000

Explorer
Explorer
If your mirrors can't be swung in, consider changing the mounts. That's what I did in a similar situation.

Edit: Opps, looked a the photo's again and see that your mirrors do swing in.
Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

carpetguy2
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully.the ground dont expand and the concrete lifts up through winters .:'(
2007.5 chevy 3500 ltz CC LB Duramax
2016 Open range 3x378
Some other toys too

SolidAxleDurang
Explorer
Explorer
Don't accidentally hit the "extend slides" button. LOL
TV = 15 Ram 3500 Dually 6.7 / CC-LB / CTD / Aisin / 3.42 / 4wd / EBrake
5er = 12 Keystone Avalanche 330RE
Toys = 08 Kawasaki Brutie Force 650i 4x4 ( x2 ๐Ÿ™‚ ) 14 Arctic Cat Wildcat 1000

kjburns
Explorer
Explorer
MewshawManor wrote:
Wow!!! Don't sneeze when backing out.

One deep breath could spell disaster.
2019 Dynamax Isata3 24FW

racerguy
Explorer
Explorer
I have 3 feet on each side, 6 in front and back. I still have my wife spot for me going in and out.

WILDEBILL
Explorer
Explorer
Ok how do you get out.
Bill

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I see repairs in your future.......

That is so tight there is NO room for any error.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
In some ways, that finger width is not bad. You can just drive it in, only looking at your side, and know the other side will be OK. What you may want to do is come up with some type of soft instrument you can attach to your mirror, so you know if that is touching the wall, the other side clears. The place that I take my coach to change the oil has rubber door seal on either side. I know if I just touch the door seal with my mirror on the driver's side, the other side clears by about an inch. So I pull it in, tag the rubber seal with my mirror, and know I'm good. Kind of freaks out the new employees when I just drive in, knowing where I need to put it.
IRV2

funtime
Explorer
Explorer
Boy, that is super tight. I also would like to know how you get in and out of the coach? My eyes might be wrong but is that an Ohio tag on your coach? Did you buy it here in Ohio and drive it home? Glad you got it in.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
wny_pat wrote:
To bad you had not posted pics in your previous thread showing the height and width of the garage, and most importantly the fact that it was attached to your home!!!

For the moment, anyway! ๐Ÿ˜‰
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job of parking, but many of us are now wondering if you're still trapped in the motorhome.

fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida