cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

surge protector

topher80
Explorer
Explorer
So we were suppsed to pick up our Neptune tonight, but didn't becuase o a transfer case issus with Jeep...no big deal so while we were getting our orientation one of the eletrical guys suggested that it is not uncommon to purchase a surge protector.

Sound logical until he told me that the cost around $400.

Does it ever end or is it like a "boat".....which stands for "break out another thousand."

Anyone buy a surge protector? Makes sense, but $400....REALL?

Comments, thoughts, etc. It is 50 AMP service on 2008 HR Neptune
So after 33 years
I gave up golf...we'll see how this works
30 REPLIES 30

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
You do not need to spend all that money that some have mentioned here in this forum. Just get on the internet and buy from Progressive Industries the SSP-50 Smart surge 240v/50amp

1650 joules 45000 amps surge current. It also has lights to tell you if the box is wired correct where ever you are going to connect to shore power. Polarity etc etc.

Sells on the internet for around $124.00

You will be protected.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
abrasv wrote:
Just installed a permanent mount EMS50 amp from PI this past weekend. Went last year without one and worried every time I plugged in. Bought this new one off EBAY for $175 still in the box with all instructions and warranty. Well worth the peace of mind.

it would sort of scare me to buy a "used" one. I would guess that it could have received a jolt or something and unknowingly to you not be working properly. one of our electrical gurus can comment if this is possible. don't know if there are MOVs in these things still?
bumpy

abrasv
Explorer
Explorer
Just installed a permanent mount EMS50 amp from PI this past weekend. Went last year without one and worried every time I plugged in. Bought this new one off EBAY for $175 still in the box with all instructions and warranty. Well worth the peace of mind.
Jim and Carol
'05 Discovery 39S
'06 Dodge Dakota 4x4 quad cab
'37 chevy sedan

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
get a multi function surge protector, I thought that they were a tad less than $400 however. an internal one is a little cheaper.
do NOT buy the $99 elcheapo.
bumpy

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
Worth every penny as other have said - essential and cheap insurance. It does not take much to destroy your electronics. A neighbor in a campground recently had his power cord short out and fry - it took his flat screen TV with it.

Our EMS has found mis-wired posts several times, open grounds, etc.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I have an external 50 amp surge protector. IMO, it is worth every penny.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Surge protection2010
Surge, 2010, 50a
Surge, Class A, 2011
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

301TBS
Explorer
Explorer
Just installed a Progressive 30amp hardwire yesterday. It would not power up due to a code for open
ground in my cord. I had no idea there was a problem!
Highly reccomended installing one, too much electronics in rv's now to take a chance. $219 from lawrencerv.com.
2019 Springdale 240BH
2009 F150 Scab 4x4, 4.6, 3v. 6spd. 3.73/9.75
Reese dual cam

fredbon
Explorer
Explorer
topher80 wrote:

Does it ever end or is it like a "boat".....which stands for "break out another thousand."

Yep, they are Siamese Twins, jointed at the wallet.

fred
Fred and Bonnie
Frankie & Scarlett, (The Cats)
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
2006 Saturn VUE

As I've Matured... I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

RedG
Explorer
Explorer
I know that $400 hurts a little, but not near as much as the pain you'll have if you ever get a surge or a miswired connection that takes out everything in your coach.
It's worth that much to me just having the peace of mind that I'm safe electrically.
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4024 DP 370 Cummins
Towing my 2012 Malibu w/Blue Ox towbar & Patriot brake system

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Roundtwo-40 wrote:
Get the PI, Cheap insurance IMHO.

Ditto X10.
From someone who didn't have one and had to spend over $3,000 replacing all the burned out appliances and electronics in the MH.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Roundtwo-40
Explorer
Explorer
Get the PI, Cheap insurance IMHO.
2013 Jayco Eagle 328RLTS w/15K AC
2013 Ram 2500 CTD CC 4X4
Equalizer 14K,PI PT30C Surge

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
A good surge protector will protect from a lot more than just a surge. The Progressive Industries models will check the power source for problems before allowing power into the rv. It also protects from over and under voltage conditions. Our's has provided protection for many years. It's wired in permanently downstream of the transfer switch to protect from bad voltage from the generator or shore power.

I agree that their customer service is great.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

bamcote
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I use. Lifetime warranty and great customer service.
Clicky
DH, DW, Tildie, Bella and
Molly the Maine Coon
and Greta the shorkie pup

2008 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z
2007 Saturn Vue AWD with Ready Brake Brute

tommy_g
Explorer
Explorer
My 30 amp portable cost about $260. By the way, their customer service is great.
1998 Bounder 36s F53 460 V8 Banks power & Honda Accord toad