cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Time to get a new toad

bhivetravels
Explorer
Explorer
We've been towing our Honda Element (aka "the toaster") and have had absolutely no problems with the car but with cracked seats, mileage, age, it's time to look for a replacement. We want a vehicle with a few more bells and whistles so we've been considering two based on weight/cost/mpg/body style. Chevy's Equinox and Chrysler's Jeep Compass. If you have one of these vehicles have you experienced any issues with them as a toad? On the Equinox, I don't really see where the tow bar would go?
Jim and Monica
Maj. USAF Ret. โ€” High School Teacher Ret.
2016 Jayco Pinnacle Ford 350 Turbo Diesel
Full-Timing with Meiko and Marlie:C
36 REPLIES 36

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Passin Thru wrote:
Jeep is rated lowest in quality by Consumers Report. I wouldn't buy one for that reason. I'm a Honda or Toyota fan. On our 6th Toyota and only one was ever in the shop and they paid the repair bill for a new engine. Have run most 230K and 2 Prius or Priii which I guess is plural, 70 K ea and our third is going to go to whatever mileage wears it out.

LMAO,.... Forbes too... yup, jeeps suck (rotflmfao!!!)

Our first toad was my 2000 wrangler. Bought it only to tow, like it so much I sold my silverado and have driven this jeep everyday. Turned 289000 miles today.

Second toad is wife's 2010 liberty. It got this job due to size, we have 3 big dogs. Has 61,000 on it, no problems ever, never in the shop for anything but maintenance.

Also owned 2 grand cherokee's over the years, great cars as well.

Have NEVER owned a Japanese car, so no comment there.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I currently own a 2014 Honda CRV when it wears out. I'm going to a higher end tow car for once a Lincoln MKS.

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
vegasfoodguy wrote:

I have a 1996 Grand Cherokee 263000 miles, 2004 Grand Cherokee 215000
miles, 1993 Wrangler 154000 miles, all three set up for toad. CU is right, you cannot get these to last.

I don't have many miles on my Jeeps (both Wranglers) but they have been very dependable so far.
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

edm3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Honda changed to a CVT (continuous variable transmission) for 2015 in the CR-V model. Consider a used pre-2015 CR-V ?

Semi_Retired_Gr
Explorer
Explorer
Towed a Ford Bronco & Jeep Grand Cherokee - and most recently have towed a Honda Element for over 70k miles w/o incident. None were/are very refined but the Honda has certainly been the most reliable and least expensive. Unfortunately, in my experience, the most desirable vehicles are not towable 4 down.
Gary & Liesel
Cocoa, our Chocolate Lab companion
2013 Tiffin 30 GA
2004 Honda Element Toad

bhivetravels
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco-noslide wrote:
Do you already know that you can tow them with 4 wheels on the ground?

Yes - using the Motorhome magazine toad car guide
Jim and Monica

vegasfoodguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
bhivetravels wrote:
We've been towing our Honda Element (aka "the toaster") and have had absolutely no problems with the car but with cracked seats, mileage, age, it's time to look for a replacement. We want a vehicle with a few more bells and whistles so we've been considering two based on weight/cost/mpg/body style. Chevy's Equinox and Chrysler's Jeep Compass. If you have one of these vehicles have you experienced any issues with them as a toad? On the Equinox, I don't really see where the tow bar would go?

I have a 1996 Grand Cherokee 263000 miles, 2004 Grand Cherokee 215000
miles, 1993 Wrangler 154000 miles, all three set up for toad. CU is right, you cannot get these to last.
Monaco Diplomat, Cummins, 38a
Toad Grand Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler, Brake Buddy.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Do you already know that you can tow them with 4 wheels on the ground?
Jayco-noslide

blawless
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Jeep Compass as well, 2014 yr model standard tranny. It's towed great no issues yet. Just finished a 9000 mi round trip this winter. Just 18,000 km (10,200 mi +/-)on the Jeep so far. Specificly recommended for flat towing in the owners manual with full warranty as a toad. Nice and light yet can carry a sizeable load and four adults very comfortably even with the granbaby's car seat in the middle rear seat. Choose what fits your needs and price range. We went from a Smart Car to the Jeep when the grandson arrived.
Retired and enjoying it!

2005 Coachmen Aurora 3380 MBS Class A F53 V10 Banks Power System.
2014 Jeep Compass Toad
2001 Fleetwood Prowler 255B 5th wheel
2003 F150 King Ranch Supercrew 4X4

fredandkathy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Jeep Compass for a toad. Manual transmission and it tows great. Had a few problems after about 125,000 miles. It now has 146,000 and going strong.

bhivetravels
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
Jim and Monica, have you thought about a late model Honda CR-V? The 2015's are not towable since they have the new redesigned transmissions in them.

I did not have good luck with two Jeeps that I owned. Both were new at the time and had to be towed to the dealer on numerous occasions under warranty. I'm sure that the newer Jeeps are better (hope so).

We had a 2007 Honda CR-V and now a 2013. We'll have to think of what we will go to next once I trade the '13 in a few years.

Side note: My 94 yr. old Dad inherited his brother's 2002 Impala.... long story short, I had to put it in my name. It has about 81,000 miles. We just got a recall notice for the ignition switch. Can you believe that? 13 yrs. from new and they are just now realizing a defect?

Good luck,
MM.

Yes we've been searching for a CR-V locally but have not been successful, especially trying to find one loaded. We've always had Hondas & VW's and we've never been left on the side of the road. I'll keep looking
Jim and Monica

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:

Side note: My 94 yr. old Dad inherited his brother's 2002 Impala.... long story short, I had to put it in my name. It has about 81,000 miles. We just got a recall notice for the ignition switch. Can you believe that? 13 yrs. from new and they are just now realizing a defect?

so defective you're uncle never had a problem.
the PROBLEM is all these goof balls that insist on putting everything they can find on a key ring and then adding additional key rings TO that, weighing down the key, rings, & switch.

disclaimer: I'm no GM fan, and I'm not defending them now either.
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Jim and Monica, have you thought about a late model Honda CR-V? The 2015's are not towable since they have the new redesigned transmissions in them.

I did not have good luck with two Jeeps that I owned. Both were new at the time and had to be towed to the dealer on numerous occasions under warranty. I'm sure that the newer Jeeps are better (hope so).

We had a 2007 Honda CR-V and now a 2013. We'll have to think of what we will go to next once I trade the '13 in a few years.

Good luck,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Along with the Equinox you mentioned and the reply immediately above this one, keep in mind that the GMC Terrain is a sister of the Equinox...everything is the same except for the body style.

Our Terrain now has 70,000 miles on it and absolutely nothing has gone wrong with it. Nothing. It's a perfect car for a toad. As mentioned above, replace the fuse with a switch (fuse is a little difficult to access), turn the key to ACC and put the trans in neutral and off you go. Ours is the SLT-2 (equal to the Equinox LTZ-2) and has ALL the bells and whistles you can think of. The one thing it doesn't have is dual AC controls. Navigation, XM, memory seat, TPMS, analog and digital speedometer, auto lift/close gate, remote starting, and the list goes on. We typically get about 26 mpg overall average, and over 32 on the highway.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
We've towed our '14 Equinox for a year now and have had zero problems with it. The front fascia is removed and the baseplate attached behind it. We used BlueOx. The tow bar stays on the coach, and we use the ReadyBrute with the integrated braking system. The Equinox requires you to pull a 5amp fuse for towing. I installed a fused switch, replacing that fuse, so I simply flip that instead of opening the panel to pull the fuse. Easy to hook up and easy to tow. Weighs less than the Jeep Cherokee we were contemplating buying and has more creature comforts.

If you're looking at the Equinox, be sure to look at the LTZ model. That's what we bought. It has all the upgraded features at no extra cost. Heated leather seats, sunroof, nav system etc etc. The only thing I miss from our previous HHR is the rear seat does not fold all the way flat like it did in the HHR. It folds but not quite all the way down. There is no hump in the rear seat floorboard.

All in all it was $4k less than a comparably equipped Cherokee and we didn't get the harsh ride we experienced with the Jeep....good luck with your decision...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG