Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire chains questions

jpratt2
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all:

We have a 29' Bigfoot on a Ford E450 chassis with dualies in back. Plans are to head out Oct. 1 for a month in the Southwest from home in NW Washington State.

While I wont seek it out, I know the possibility of hitting snow and ice exists over some of the passes we plan to travel.

What do you all recommend for tie chains? Also, do you chain up only the outer rears or all 4?

Thanks in advance!
29 REPLIES 29

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
Been headed south every Jan for over 10 years. Watch the weather, see a window and use it. A hour is a long run over most passes so wait for the snow to be cleared and run for it. I carry a couple sets of chains and never have mounted them. I5 is most likely not your to do route but a stop at Seven Feathers on 5 watch for weather and go. 10:00 start will put you in the sweet spot for timing. Oct. is still short of winter but deer season seems to bring an early snow that is not long lasting so if you time line allows a day or two either way direct south should not be a problem either. I'm in Olympia.

LEN

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
If I was intent on driving in snow and ice, I'd consider dually chains for the rear, maybe cables for the front and maybe cables for the rear of my toad. Since I plan to try and avoid driving in snow and ice, I only have cables for the outer rears and I can unhitch my 4Runner and drive it. In October you can usually wait out the snow and ice.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would carry link chains for just the outer wheel as required by law.
Put them on at home to check fit and know what tools you need.
Then do your best to never use them.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Photomike wrote:
I have seen on a number of motor homes including mine a note saying that you cannot use chains. I need to check into this more.

Looking at the amount of clearance I would be concerned about using chains on mine. I personally would avoid using them, opting for an extra day someplace to wait out the storm and have the roads cleared. If you drive onto the chains then fasten and tighten them they have too much slop in them. Been there, done that.My experience was with big rigs and tow trucks where the clearance didn't matter so you can get away with it.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Personally,I would only use the chains for deeper snow or mud, a soft surface to minimize the excessive vibration which would transfer from a hard surface. On a "hard" (ice) surface cables will work as good or better than chains!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I bought chains for our very first RV trip and used them for about 5 miles only. Heavy vibrations. Not had to use them again.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have seen on a number of motor homes including mine a note saying that you cannot use chains. I need to check into this more.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you chained just the outside you could drive the inner wheel up onto a block so you could get the outer nice and tight as it would be off the ground. Having chained enough trucks in my time the importance of tensioners cannot be overstated. Also purchase chain repair links, absolutely a must as they do break and then havoc strikes.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Todd...chains stay in the TV and in the TT year round. If I'm ready I won't need them!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Just bite the bullet and buy a set of dually chains. Like someone has already mentioned, if you go to Schwab and by them, return unused ones in the spring for a full refund.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
We "just" bought a set of cables for our Bigfoot 26Sl. We thought that ice would "likely" be our biggest challenge rather than deep snow. Hence the cables. A little easier to install, less damage "if" they come from "un-together" 😞 and you can drive a little faster than with chains. We went with Peerless Super Z Light Truck/SUV. We tried them on, easy installation and good fit. Also bought an extra pair of binders....just in case!

We also use them on the front, steering can be as or more important than stopping!!!

When we're using our 5er (as it's often for an off-road hunting situation) we have both cables or heavy chains (deep snow or mud) for the truck and cables for the 5er. We've even used chains on the 5er if in snow or mud and road has some "bad angle" toward a steep downhill, off-road adventure! :W

Our chains/ cables stay in the rigs at all times. They don't take up much room, and are "never" at home when you need them!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
If you are driving any distance, like over a pass, you need real chains not the tire socks or bands that are designed to get you away from the curb but are not for distance driving.

Chains are good for mud and snow driving. I recommend having a set summer and winter so you are ready if you run into muddy roads or snow/ice conditions.

Read and follow carefully the directions about which side to face the tire vs the road surface and do not skip using the rubber tensioner.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
T18skyguy wrote:
... A lot of guys say once you run chains on the RV, the rig is never the same. The intense vibrations loosen up the cabinetry and everything else in the rig....

I've never had to use chains. I always assumed it would be a temporary, slow speed situation just to get to where I could pull off and wait for the roads to be clear.

Do people actually tow long enough and fast enough that vibration is an issue? (obviously they do, from you post) I think it would be a terrible trip, using chains for any length of time.

Actually, now that I think about it, I am thinking of the chains that I have for my truck just in case we get caught in the snow for late season trips up to Vermont. These are BIG chains, with welded on "V" chunks for added traction. Are people talking about smaller, thinner setups like cable "chains"?

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Carrying chains during the Winter is mandatory over some of the passes - you might consider purchasing some from Les Schwab as they allow you to return them in the Spring if you haven't used them.
Kevin

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I live just South of you in Oregon. There are times when they require chains by law. You run them on the outer back rear. Can't say I've ever seen all four chained up but maybe they do. That being said, avoid putting them on unless you can't stay overnight or two. A lot of guys say once you run chains on the RV, the rig is never the same. The intense vibrations loosen up the cabinetry and everything else in the rig. For Oregon, go on the computer to Tripcheck. They have cams all over the passes which also give you the temperature so you know whats going on.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.