cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traded The Fifth Wheel For A Motorhome

captbru
Explorer
Explorer
Made the move today, traded in the fifth wheel for a like new 2013 Itasca Sunstar model 30T. Rig only has 5000 miles and lightly used. We decided it was time for a change after dragging that big fifth wheel around the country side. Also my DW health was another factor in our decision. Looking forward to joining in on this forum.
17 REPLIES 17

captbru
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for your replies. We picked the rig up wed and went out with our RV chapter thur thru sun. Everything went well and we really enjoyed the new rig. In the next few months we will start looking for a tow car.

RBabb
Explorer
Explorer
I've gone from 5th wheel to f53 chasis gas class a to a diesel pusher. The DP quality is a world above the others. The reason for the change is a 2 yr old baby and another on the way. The motorhome is much easier traveling for everyone. Once destinated I like the 5th wheel better as it leaves the truck to drive around. I find hitching the 5th wheel much faster and easier. The gas class A at 32' drove good and I didn't feel a need for a toad but it was still resrictive. The DP needs a toad, it's not agile enough to comfortably drive around town. I found them all to be well designed and nice to use. To me it boils down to what stage of life you are in. Before having my son the 5th wheel toy hauler was the greatest thing ever. The smaller class A was great as well but I always heard great things about the DP and just wanted to give it a try. It's almost over the top for me. A small deisel pusher with a more basic options list would probably be my perfect rig. Central vac, leather, ceramic tile, solid surface countertops, remote and power everything, surround sound, roof mounted spot light, solar are all things I'd be perfectly happy without. Diesel engine, air ride, deisel genny, slides, hard roof cap, steel and aluminum construction, power leveling jacks are things I like.
08 Ram 3500 Big Horn, DRW, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, 6.7 CTD, 6sp Auto, B&W Companion, Prodigy Controller

08 Ram 2500 Big Horn, SRW, Crew Cab, short Bed, 4x4, 6.7 ctd

01 NUWA 39SUT Packrat, 40' Toy hauler- sold
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 36c

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
We went the other way. Both have their advantages but no more often than we get to travel right now the 5er is a better fit for us. Only thing I miss is wife not needing to stop for a potty break. On the other hand after she fell while going to the potty its not that bad to stop. Enjoy your MH and many happy miles.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

93mastercraft
Explorer
Explorer
I traded a 40ft fiver for a 36ft MH. Best Decision I ever made besides picking the Manufacturer I did.

2014.5 Thor Palazzo 35.1

2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar with road master base plate
Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer
TPMS with toad and MH transmitters

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
RedJeep wrote:
In thinking of doing the same. Looking forward to pushing that auto-steer button and getting a sandwich while motoring down road. 🙂

But please share your observations.

Where the h e double hockey sticks is my like button for this?

Tho is that situation, the auto steeer button in question would be my DW, who is happy to get me drinks, chips (bold chex mix being a fav) or sandwiches.

My biggest observation on the fiver vs motorhome discussion is our very first trip. We travelled the west coast with some friends who ran a fifth wheel. Every stop without exception, I was hooked up, slides deployed, awning out, patio setup, cold adult beverage in hand, before he'd even levelled his fiver, much less unhooked it from the truck or poured a drink....
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

RedJeep
Explorer
Explorer
In thinking of doing the same. Looking forward to pushing that auto-steer button and getting a sandwich while motoring down road. 🙂

But please share your observations.
2008 Georgetown DS350 Class A
Wife, kids, dog and cat

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
We did the same thing...you'll love the change!
2014 American Eagle

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
RBabb wrote:
I did the same last summer. They both have advantages, not sure my preference yet

Would like to know your likes/dislikes of both since you have owned both. Do you FT, PT or just weekend/vacation? tks

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats and welcome!!!
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

RBabb
Explorer
Explorer
I did the same last summer. They both have advantages, not sure my preference yet
08 Ram 3500 Big Horn, DRW, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, 6.7 CTD, 6sp Auto, B&W Companion, Prodigy Controller

08 Ram 2500 Big Horn, SRW, Crew Cab, short Bed, 4x4, 6.7 ctd

01 NUWA 39SUT Packrat, 40' Toy hauler- sold
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 36c

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations on your new motorhome. We had a 5th wheel and went to a class A in 05. We enjoyed our first MH so much that we are in our second. Enjoy, use often and stay safe.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

Squealers
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats!
2006 Four Winds Hurricane 34N
2014 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 Toad

USAF Veteran. 75-81 SAC "Giant Talk" ATC-
Combat Crew Communications

Squealers = Steelers & Arkansas Razorbacks Fan

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the Winnebago family – the company has excellent resources online.
Brochure archive
http://www.winnebagoind.com/products/previous-models/index.php
Operator Manuals
http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/manuals/operatormanuals.php
Manuals & Diagrams
http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/manuals/
Links on the page above to
If you go here Service Parts List with your model year and the last 5 digits of your Winnebago serial # (not the VIN, the Winnebago number) you can get a listing of all the parts used to build your specific RV
Parts Catalog

• Plumbing Diagrams
• Wiring Diagrams
• R.V. Parts and Accessories Catalog -
• How to Identify a Motor home -
• Sealants Callout Sheets
• Operator Manuals
• Paint Code Manuals
• Audio Video Guides
Supplier Links
• Click here
Service Tips:
• Service Tips
It's also a good idea to register you as the new owner. Link below
http://www.winnebagoind.com/products/secondowner/index.php
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on your new Winnebago product! Getting a sandwich while driving just got easier!