cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trip planning Upper Washington State US 101

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
We will be taking US 101 around the top portion of Washington State this July since we had to skip it several years ago.

We will be traveling from Copalis Beach, through Forks and on to Port Angeles. There appear to be many RV parks along this stretch of highway, ranging from exclusive type resorts to small fishing camps.

So far, we like the Quileute Resort and RV Park in La Push. Not sure about access to the park from Forks, but still looking.

We are 45' (65' with toad) so access may be a problem. We would like full hookups with 50 amp service although 30 amp most likely would suffice. Prefer something on the coast along the seashore as we both like to do the beachcombing thing. Debi loves to cook so we don't go out to eat often and shopping is not high on our list of things to do.

So, how about it? Care to share your experience and knowledge of where to stay and where to avoid. We'll be taking the toad over to Victoria Island and use it to sight see....thanks in advance for any help....I've already done RVParky and RVParkReviews....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG
14 REPLIES 14

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
Ferry will be around $100 including passenger and you'd have to make reservations for that trip. I have no problems with driving around and you can take either hwy 18 to I-90 and east or go to 405 and then over to 90. The latter is best done anytime but rush hour.
My preferences for camping on that run around the peninsula are LaPush and you can get a waterfront site that you can pull into. Then there are two places at Neah Bay,one in town and one out on the beach. Next is Salt Creek county park by Joyce before you get to Port Angeles and also the KOA on the west side of town. In Port Angeles area, you want to be sure to see Sol Duc Hot Springs,The upper Elwha river where they have just finished taking two 100 y/o dams out, Hurricane Ridge and of course taking the boat over to Victoria. Yes, Rainbow rv park in Sequim. Our favorite park in Port Townsend is Point Hudson and then Fort Worden. Fort Worden is really hard to get into during the summer. We got our 4th of July res last year on the 5th of July and had our pick of 4 sites left. Both of these are waterfront and big rig.We'll be there from the 2nd till the 9th. (unless the wind is blowing like it did the two times we were there last summer.)
When you drive down, you'll have your choice of driving across the floating bridge across Hood Canal and thru Bremerton to Tacoma across the Narrows Bridge or down 101 to Shelton, Olympia and then Tacoma.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
frankdamp wrote:
Are you planning to go round the east side of the peninsula on 101 back to Olympia or come across to Whidbey Island on the ferry from PT?

Frank, depends on the COST of taking the ferry across with a 45' rig..:E.

We are thinking of heading over to Calgary after we leave Washington, crossing at Abbotsford; but we haven't firmed that up either......Dennis

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
That Pacific Coast along 101, except for Ocean Shores, is very "small town". It does have Sol Duc Hot Springs. Across the southern edge of the Strait of Juan de Fuca (Port Angeles & Port Townsend) it gets a bit more "citifed" and that's where most of the tourist action is (Hurricane Ridge, the ferry to Victoria and the well preserved late 19th century aura of Port Townsend).

Are you planning to go round the east side of the peninsula on 101 back to Olympia or come across to Whidbey Island on the ferry from PT?
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
That Pacific Coast along 101, except for Ocean Shores, is very "small town". Across the southern edge of the Strait of Juan de Fuca (Port Angeles & Port Townsend) it gets a bit more "citifed" and that's where most of the tourist action is (Hurricane Ridge, the ferry to Victoria and the well preserved late 19th century aura of Port Townsend).

Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

MaverickBBD
Explorer
Explorer
Brace yourself for the fire works over the 4th!
Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix)
'05 Winnebago Journey 36G w/Cat. C-7 350 hp Freightliner XC
AFE air filter, aero turbine muffler, 4 FSD Konis, ultra track bell crank and Safe-T-Plus
FMCA 397030
WIT 129107

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for all the info so far. We've did Whidbey Island two years ago. Loved it. May do it again as we expect to spend a month or so in the upper peninsula. We are in no hurry and have not made any plans except for Copalis Beach over the 4th of July. So, we have from the first part of July on to decide where and what we plan to do. Nice to have the input from those that have been there. Many of the reviews are iffy at best.

Hurricane Ridge is certainly on our must see list.

@accsys, thanks for the pictures.

Once we start to firm up our dates, I'm sure I'll be asking some other questions.

@MaverickBBD...thanks for the invite...I'll PM you once I firm up some dates.

Thanks again everyone...Dennis

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis, wherever you decide to stay around Port Angeles make sure you visit Hurricane Ridge! Take Race St. in Port Angeles and head West until you run out of road. It's very beautiful up there you will be up over 5000' in elevation with no snow. You'll be looking right at Mt. Olympus and the Elwah River drainage. Lots of wildlife up there also. The Elwah River right now is a giant science experiment never seen or done before in the U.S. both Dams on the Elwah River were tore down several years which drained Lake Mills and Lake Aldwell. It's a free flowing river now from Mt. Olympus to the salt water of the Straights of Juan De Fuca! Enjoy!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely make a stop in Port Townsend. Fort Worden's beach sites are very nice. From there you can do some island day trips - drive to Port Angeles and take the ferry to Victoria and a city bus to Bruchart Gardens. From Port Townsend take the ferry and your car to Oak Harbor and drive up to Anacortes. From nearby Bainbridge Island take the ferry into Seattle for a day. It lets you off at the Aquarium area and a nice walk to Pike's Place Market. Take the monorail to the 'Needle'.

From Port Townsend it's a short drive up to Hurricane Ridge for a day on the mountain. Explore Sequim another day. There are whale watching tours that leave from Port Townsend. There is so much to do from Port Townsend. We love it.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

MaverickBBD
Explorer
Explorer
We will be in Copalis Beach at the same time. See you at the Green Lantern. A must stop for at least one dinner. Can't go wrong with the daily special.

Access from Forks is not a problem. Keep an eye out for tour bus. It is werewolf county. There are signs to that effect along the way. Twilight was a boom to locals. Don't know about that park in July. Always looked clean the times I went by. Scenery to knock your socks off.

There is also a Tribe run park east of Squim. I here it is nice but never stayed there.

On the Hood canal we stay at Rest-A-While. Reserved a water side site if you can get it. They have a private beach where you can dig oysters. Water condition may be too iffy that time of the year. Not to worry the little restaurant across the street has oyster omelets. My favorite. Never had a bad meal there.

Lucky Eagle south of Shelton is good for a couple of nights or to use as a base to explore the area.

Have to ask. Why no Port Townsend stay and/or ferry to Whidbey Island?

Have stayed and traveled the peninsula extensively or a least to maybe suggest some things. PM me if you want.
Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix)
'05 Winnebago Journey 36G w/Cat. C-7 350 hp Freightliner XC
AFE air filter, aero turbine muffler, 4 FSD Konis, ultra track bell crank and Safe-T-Plus
FMCA 397030
WIT 129107

TANDDANDBIGE
Explorer
Explorer
There is a KOA near Sequim. An older park with trees and some space between, not a parking lot; pool, spa etc., not fancy but good local for exploring with the toad.
2002 HR ENDEAVOR 40'
2007 FORD EDGE TOAD

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
Trust me I have been there many times. Stay in Sequim everything you need is there and everything you want to see is close. Lapush beach is beautiful the rest not so much. Go to hurricane ridge and the Hoh rainforest for sure. Sequim has a micro climate that leaves it dry and sun shine 300 days a year. We like Rainbow rv park nice, big trees, big rigs work. From here you are close to everything on the North OP.

If you want to see more go over the hill to Forks. More to see With some great beaches.
have fun
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
My favorite park in that area is Rest-A-While a bit south of Port Angeles. We first stayed there many years ago by chance. It is not much to boast about, full hookups in a parking lot, BUT, the sites are right up on the Hood River Canal. Just sitting there, watching the tide come in and out, watching the eagles, even clamming. It was perfect. It stayed in my memory for many years, and finally last year we returned, to stay 5 days and use it as our basecamp. It was just as perfect. Your are really a pretty good drive to Port Angeles on the North and civilization on the South. The little crab shack at the end of the park was pretty good too. The spots easily fit the biggest big rig, but again, nothing fancy.

Jrork
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis,
We just did this trip a couple months ago and even though we live close, we had never been to LaPush. As far as beach camping, it was our opinion that it's the most incredible spot we've even been to and that's including multiple trips through Oregon and California. The beach is awesome and listening to those waves crash all night long was great.
The road is no problem. They have a number of pull thru sites and when we were there, they were completely empty.

The only knock that we had was that there were a number of men on the beach early in the morning that were drinking heavily and continued to do so all day and then well into the night. The next morning I stepped out of the rig to find one of them sleeping face down in the dirt next to our campsite. They were zero problem but certainly added a different vibe to our camping stay. Also, depending on whether you have dogs or not. We try to keep our dogs on leashes but this beach was leash free and there were many dogs running around. Again, not a problem but we did have to shoo them away to prevent a dog fight.

With all that said, the beach, the driftwood that they let you burn for fires and the full hookups really made for a great time.

Good luck and have fun........john

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis,
You can check our 2013 blog post for Forks and the next one for Sequim to see where we stayed and what we visited while there.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams