cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble Free Motorhome Owner?

Sooner_Schooner
Explorer
Explorer
I hear and read about motorhome owners and the problems that occur, but I really want to hear from those of you that have had no problems. If you are a motorhome owner that bought a new or nearly new Class A diesel pusher and got to enjoy it for six months or longer without any major issues, please let us know. I'm not talking about a cabinet door hinge or drawer type minor issue, just the big problems that made you park or take it to the repair shop before you could go out in it. I hope you are out there somewhere. Thank you.
2008 Damon Tuscany 4076 40' Diesel Pusher
34 REPLIES 34

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
My trips have been pretty much trouble free for many many years. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I do not wait for something to break before I do any maintenance. I lube the entire chassis, and check everything out underneath, every 3000 miles. I check my tire pressure before hitting the road every morning. At each stop during the day, I use my IR gun to check tire temps to see if I have a problem starting. I change belts, filters, tires, and hoses on a regular basis. I travel with an OBII scan gauge connected all of the time and monitor various engine components to identify a problem before it gets serious. I check my roof for potential leaks every few months.
I have no idea how many problems I have prevented by doing routine maintenance but I will continue with my way of servicing my coach. I find it much easier to take care of things on my schedule than to deal with them on the side of the road. .

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
Trouble free? Not likely. Maybe close with a newer model, once the initial "hit list" is worked out after a shakedown run. There's always something that needs attention, but in our case with a 10yr old coach, we have been very fortunate.

In 2+ years:
LR slide topper tension spring
Alternator - weakening output, didn't strand us anywhere.
City water check-valve failure
Aquahot Control Box
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

sp8gold
Explorer
Explorer
We had no major issues with our 01 Mountain Aire. Our 2006 Travel Supreme has been great. Knock on wood.

JetAonly
Explorer
Explorer
Sooner Schooner wrote:

Thanks, yes it does help. We want a Class A, but the horror stories keep interfering with our decision.

Anyone who says they don't have problems simply hasn't found them yet. Any mechanical device this complex is going to have problems. There is no other lifestyle quite like it. What a blast!

Best advice is to remember; Adversity is unavoidable, misery, however, is a choice. Jump in, buy a warranty for a couple of years to give you peace of mind.
2000 Monaco Dynasty
ISC350

00_BUCK
Explorer
Explorer
My Newmar has been the most trouble free coach I have ever owned, windshield cracked took some time to fix. Levelers leaked fixed myself loose fitting no big deal .Leaky window still to be fixed
2011 Newmar - VENTANA -- with COMFORT DRIVE :B
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar w/ Roadmaster adapters
AirForce One brake system

Life Member GOOD SAM Club
FMCA Member

If your not the lead dog
the view never changes

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
We have owned our 7 year old "nearly new" rig for eleven subsequent years and 65,000 miles of enjoyment.

We have been towed 3 times in that time period due to two minor problems and one injection pump problem. We lost a week's worth of use for the injection pump and two days for a broken fuel line.

So, I think we are qualified to be one of your "use for six months or longer with no major problems" respondents.

Actually, I think most motorhome owners would fit your definition.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
IMO there's no such thing as "trouble-free". I've owned six Class A motorhomes, and a variety of other toys.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sooner Schooner wrote:
funtime wrote:
I have owned a 3 Winnies, all DP. 1999 bought used. Other than replacing a heater core it was trouble free. Nothing. Bought a 2006 Winnie Meridian and just sold it with no problems at all except replaced a fresh water pump (Shurflo). It was the best I have owned so far. Just purchased a 42QD Tour so, to early to tell. All were garaged which I believe makes a big difference. All had or have Cummins engines. Hope that helps.

Thanks, yes it does help. We want a Class A, but the horror stories keep interfering with our decision.

When you read enough of the “horer stories” on hear you will be able to separate some of the ones that are a full page rant ageist a manufacture or dealer because they had 2 light bulbs go out in a year. Or they had to replace an engine 3 times because of overheating, why would you keep driving if it were overheating? Just saying Many people can’t or don’t want to do miner things and take it to a dealer for everything. Many more take care of the miner things and don’t give it a second thought. For instance I had a slide switch go bad on me on the last trip 2 weeks ago. I had to take the switch out and jump across the terminals to get the slide out. Did I write a big rant agenst the maker or the dealer? I just called Freightliner and ordered a new switch and installed it.
You are going to have things break or quiet working in your house and the same with a motor coach.
I think if you do the basic preventative maint you will be relatively trouble free.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
We have owned 2 motor homes purchased new.

The 99 Coachmen had no chassis problems for the 3 years we owned it. It had slide out problems that required return to the factory for repair at their cost for repair, return to the factory and then they flew us to the factory to pick it up and plus mileage home. Sold after 3 years and 25,000 miles

The 02 DSDP has never had a problem that required any repair of more than a days service and they were minor. Still have it and it has ~83,000 miles and it will be our last motor home purchase.

Sooner Schooner wrote:
I hear and read about motorhome owners and the problems that occur, but I really want to hear from those of you that have had no problems. If you are a motorhome owner that bought a new or nearly new Class A diesel pusher and got to enjoy it for six months or longer without any major issues, please let us know. I'm not talking about a cabinet door hinge or drawer type minor issue, just the big problems that made you park or take it to the repair shop before you could go out in it. I hope you are out there somewhere. Thank you.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

Mulberry912
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2002 Fleetwood gasser. No problems except a power surge that was MY fault.

Preventative maintenance is the key. Oil changes, filters, tires, lube, belts, hoses, etc. If you keep on top of things your coach will give you great service.

If I hear something or feel something when driving I check it out. 99.9% of the time it is my imagination. I also keep the inside of the coach in good repair. I service appliances when needed. keep them clean of dust and dirt inside. I also service the genny on a schedule.

I watch for any water leaks of any kind. None yet.
2002 Fleetwood Fiesta 31H Workhorse Chasis 8.1 LTR V8. Many factory upgrades

Sooner_Schooner
Explorer
Explorer
funtime wrote:
I have owned a 3 Winnies, all DP. 1999 bought used. Other than replacing a heater core it was trouble free. Nothing. Bought a 2006 Winnie Meridian and just sold it with no problems at all except replaced a fresh water pump (Shurflo). It was the best I have owned so far. Just purchased a 42QD Tour so, to early to tell. All were garaged which I believe makes a big difference. All had or have Cummins engines. Hope that helps.

2008 Damon Tuscany 4076 40' Diesel Pusher

kjbkjb
Explorer
Explorer
My former motorhome was a 2011 Coachmen Mirada 35DS that we bought new and used for 3 seasons making 13,000 miles. Most would probably not give Coachmen high marks for quality and would consider it an “entry level” motorhome. From the day we drove it off the dealer’s lot to the day we sold it last fall we had it back to the dealer just once for two minor issues. The entry door had to be aligned and it had a squeak coming from the area of the DS slide. Both issues were taken care of to my satisfaction while I waited in the customer lounge. I plan to order a 2014 Tiffin Allegro and if I have as few problems with my new Tiffin as I did with my Coachmen I will be a very happy camper.

rondeb
Explorer
Explorer
We have had 2 Winnebago Class A's. We had Gassers, but I have to agree with the Winnebago owners above. Absolutely trouble free. A few minor tweaks. We did have a bad circuit panel on a hot water tank which caused it to not heat on electric only, but was replaced by the dealer one afternoon.

We would not hesitate to buy Winnebago over and over.

Dune_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned many motorhomes and trucks over the last 20 years of RVing.
The worst was a 06 Ford F350 that was towed for major motor repairs 3 times in 25,000 miles, and after Ford put a new 6.0PSD motor in it and it blew a head gasket on my first uphill pull I got rid of it. I have owned my Dynamax for two years now, only repair was a DOA defective microwave that I replaced myself not worth taking it to a dealer for repair, plus I put in what I wanted. Freightliner M2-106 heavy chassis pulls my 12,000 lb. trailer with no problems
The Dune Box