cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Vacuum Cleaner

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking for a battery operated portable vacuum for our motor home. It has mixed carpet and linoleum. Anyone have a favorite they would recommend? Thanks.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad
14 REPLIES 14

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Shark Rocket. Ours is 2 years old, still going strong. We vacuum daily because we camp full time with 3 siberian huskies.
Our builtin vac hasn't been used in a long time.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Bissell lift-off floors and more pet vacuum for my motorhome and I've been pretty impressed. It is not a replacement for a full corded vacuum cleaner, but it does do a far more effective job than I expected on carpets and is nice and compact for storage. The narrow little power head is handy in the tight confines of a motorhome, too. It is not particularly fast charging, however, which may be a concern for off-grid camping; I'm thinking of replacing or supplementing the wall wart with a DC to DC converter so as to charge from the house 12V system rather than just 120V power.

I would imagine the other (non-pet) variants might be about as good, but this one happened to be on sale at a surplus/clearance/liquidation sort of place near me at a quite good price.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Shark. They're making some really great vacumns.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

eadeal55
Explorer
Explorer
Dyson V6 Motorhead. Caught one on sale at Sam's just before Christmas for $275.
Andy & Lee + Molly, the 4 lb Chihuahua
2020 Tiffin Wayfarer 25RW...towing a
2007 Chevy HHR LT2 w/2.4L EcoTec,
Blue Ox Aventa LX, Brake Buddy Classic
FMCA #F359977 - Colonial Virginians, Past President 2012-14, 2018

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
pianotuna wrote:
Purchase an inverter and use that to power the vacuum.
+1
Useful for many other projects too.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use a small dirt devil upright canister that is terrific for the pet hair. It's not battery though, it's 110. I wouldn't want to use just a battery power - doesn't do a good enough job getting the dust and dirt out of the carpet.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
bluwtr49 wrote:
A Dyson works great and is very versatile. Pricey, yes but tough to beat.

Dyson

That is what is on my WIsh LIst as well

And as for the person who said "They all suck" . Well yes. but some do a whole lot better than others.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Not_a_Yurt_
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Shark products. In a battery operated handheld, it's hard to beat the Shark Pet Perfect. They come in two flavors at $35 to $50 dollars and clean like a champ. The only downside is a 15 minute or so run time on a battery charge. So, it is a true handheld for cleaning seat cushions, spot cleaning rugs and floors, etc.

For a corded model, the Shark Rocket runs all day and does the same great job. But for a battery handheld, buy a Pet Perfect model and be happy. We have two. One in the S&B, and one in the RV. Good luck!
Chris and Diana
Two cats
1998 Pace Arrow
2008 Honda CRV

pfidahospud
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Dewalt corded/cordless vacuum for simple vacuuming. It gets used in my shop for small projects but comes along for camping trips. Pretty handy if you happen to already have Dewalt 18v or 20v battery packs.
http://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/dust-management/dust-extractors-and-vacs/1820v-max-cordle...

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
We like the Dyson so much we have not even tried the Dirt Devil central vac that comes with the Entegra!
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Purchase an inverter and use that to power the vacuum.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
Forget the battery type and get yourself a Shark Rocket.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
They all suck.

๐Ÿ™‚

We did a little research. Our daughter even let us use a Dyson V6 for a while. Handy yes, but not a real performer. Between having 110V available all the time and trouble for us having small rechargable batteries in storage for the winter we just went for a corded type. The Shark Rocket was our final choice. Ironically our daughter took her Dyson home and put a Shark in her RV after using ours.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
A Dyson works great and is very versatile. Pricey, yes but tough to beat.

Dyson

We use a Dyson handheld and also have a corded yellow something we picked up at Walmart that is an upright. It's fine on the floors but the Dyson is used everywhere else plus for quick jobs on floors.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad