cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WA Resident Buying Used in AZ

freestoneangler
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone on the forum, that is a WA state resident, purchased a new/used class A motorhome from AZ and registered it in WA? Specifically, how does the sales tax/registration work? We're real close to pulling the trigger on a coach from a private party and I haven't had time to call the WA DMV (which I dread given the circuitous phone options and seemingly lack of competence these days).

I found a few related scenarios for buying/registering in other states...but not AZ to WA.

If anyone has recently done such a transaction, I would like to hear how it went. I'm told WA will credit the sales tax amount paid in AZ...but wondering about any other hidden costs buying out of state will involve.

Thanks
13 REPLIES 13

Go_Dawgs1
Explorer
Explorer
As stated you will need a signed title, bill of sale, call you insurance company and have them fax or e-mail you proof of insurance, trip permit. When you arrive in WA go to the DMV and hand them the paperwork and pay the sales tax on the purchase price and whatever fees are required in your county and you will be good to go.
2004 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 Dually
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Sales Tax is what will have to be paid, plus a transfer fee. 2009 and newer vehicles require a emission test in some counties. A motorhome is probably exempt do to its weight. Go the Washington dol and print the vehicle/vessel bill of sale form, to ease the process. the WA dol site will have the necessary information for what is needed for licensing and title transfer.
Wildmanbaker

Cottontop
Explorer
Explorer
I can tell you this if you are getting a good deal WA has a form for you to fill out that has to be signed by the seller.
1998 Beaver Patriot (Magnum)
FMCA- Good Sam - CAT (3126)
PT Cruiser AUTO with Remco 4down

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Just call your lic place. (I'm in WA) Last time I was getting my tabs I did have to wait quite a awhile because person in front of us didn't have a "bill of sale". So get bill of sale where the sale takes place at and I would get contact info of seller, just in case other info is needed.

Also being you'll be bring vehicle from out of state to be registered. Last time I did that (many years ago) I had to have vehicle "inspected" by WA state patrol. Which was nothing more than troopers making sure vin number matched paperwork.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Dup post
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
If you buy from a private party in Az, the only thing you will need from the owner is a signed title ( make sure to verify vin ), a bill of sale showing vin, purhase date and purchase price, and a trip permit from the MVD. You will not pay tax here. When you register in Wa looks like you will have to pay a " use tax ", and possibly sales tax, but not sure. There is a number on you DMV to call and find out the fees prior to purchase.
Phone number 360-902-3770.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
You pay your money in Arizona, the seller signs off on the title, you return to Washington and spend several days at the MVD registering it and paying taxes there..:W...usually they will want to inspect it and verify the VIN....buying from a dealer is different as they are required to collect AZ taxes in most instances....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

mmccwill
Explorer
Explorer
No AZ sales tax when buying from a private party -- You just have to deal with WA -- William Willard

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Might help. Used google, of course. "WA resident buy RV AZ"

AZ buying and selling
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

freestoneangler
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
freestoneangler wrote:
I haven't had time to call the WA DMV (which I dread given the circuitous phone options and seemingly lack of competence these days)
How about a visit to their website? I can give you a CO experience, but that's probably not relevant, although I can't imagine it would be much different.

Funny you say that... I was 30+ layers into the website when the thought came to me "why not ask the forum". I'm still trying to get the answer via WA DMV website... if you find the answer there, please forward.
Thanks

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you purchase from a private party, I don't think there is any AZ sales tax involved....is there? I mean you just hand over the money to the seller, have him sign the title and off you go to WA.

This is the way we did it years ago.....laws may have changed since then.

Good luck
Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
When you bring it back here, you'll have to pay tax on the purchase price and of course, buy a Wa. License.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
freestoneangler wrote:
I haven't had time to call the WA DMV (which I dread given the circuitous phone options and seemingly lack of competence these days)
How about a visit to their website? I can give you a CO experience, but that's probably not relevant, although I can't imagine it would be much different.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman