cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning Triangles

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
How many of you carry a Triangle Warning kit of 3 warning triangles, and 1/2 a dozen safety flares? Commercial trucks are required to carry these and figure it's a good idea to carry same in our MH.
35 REPLIES 35

donee
Explorer
Explorer
We carry three triangle warning and four LED flashers in the rig and two LED flashers in the toad.
Hadn't thought about but now a reflective vest will be added.
donnie (K7UTA) & Linda
1 rescued furrykid "Buddy"
2016 Fleetwood SouthWind 32VS
14 Jeep Cherokee
K7UTA

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
I carry 3@ 15 and 30 minute flares, boxed triangles and an orange vest that's gonna be changed to a reflective one today.
Saw this post and wondered about my flares and went out and checked them. OOppss, gonna be replacing 4 out of 6 flares because of leakage. All the 15 minutes I got from a parts store are bad.
I have had a couple of roadside emergencies and the first thing I do is lite a flare and set it at least 100' away from the back of the rig and then set up the triangles. That will at least warn traffic that you're out there and gives them a better target.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

dtucker3usa
Explorer
Explorer
We carry reflective triangles, flares and a reflective yellow vest.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
In California if you start a fire with the flares (not campfire) you will be billed for the cost to put the fire out.

I carry three orange cones and triangles plus 5 fire extinguishers.

Hadn't thought of the reflective vest and I'll put the one in that I use when riding my bike.

Many years ago I carried flares and discovered they deteriorate over time.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Livies_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
I carry the 3 reflectic triangles. Bought them years ago at a pawn
shop for $5.00. Have had to use them twice due to having flat tires on the Interstate. Never thought about the vest. Might be a good idea even tho I don't drive at night.

s_N_s
Explorer
Explorer
I always have the flares and triangles on board.
Steve & Sally
Hudson (Our Little Pom)
HiTee, Houston & Heidi (Forever In Our Hearts and Never Forgotten)
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22
05 pt Cruiser Vert 5 speed
Demco baseplate with Commander Tow Bar

"Never try to outsmart your common sense"

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
I dont' have the triangles but: On a breakdown on and interstate, I used the orange jack blocks or wheel blocks to warn that I was disabled. I just made a trail of the blocks standing on their edge and they proved to be very visible.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd suggest just to have something. Flare or triangle. It's all about safety. Reflective vests are good too for YOUR safety.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
You always lay them out to direct traffic away from your vehicle. Never stand anywhere inside the flare pattern as they will attract drunk drivers at night.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have electronic flares in the motor home and triangles in the towed trunk (Accessable from the rear seat as well).

Next question: How many know how to lay them out??????

The answers to that are in the Commercial Driver's License Guide.. I will tell you only one of the answers.. The one that applies to a STRAIGHT roadway.

First Triangle, 10 feet (Just over 3 paces) behind vehicle, in line with traffic side of Vehicle.

Second Triangle: about 100 feet (30 paces past first one) in line with driveshaft (Center of vehicle)

Third Triangle 100 feet A(bout 33 paces) behind that in line with non-traffic side of vehicle.

Some of the Professionals I've seen laying flares.. Well one of 'em dang near killed me (not really a professional job)

Curves, hills, and intersections are all covered in the book as well, all have their own layout procedures. i've layed triangles for several accidents and a couple of breakdowns since I got 'em.. Handy thigns to have.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I carry the "old school" round red reflectors with red flags. I have had them for over thirty years!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Teamfour
Explorer
Explorer
Three triangles and a reflective vest. We carry them in the TV instead of the TT just in case we need them when not towing.
Lee and Anne

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 locker, 3,295 Payload
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 7.8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH

Kaz
Explorer
Explorer
We Cant Wait wrote:
How many of you carry a Triangle Warning kit of 3 warning triangles, and 1/2 a dozen safety flares? Commercial trucks are required to carry these and figure it's a good idea to carry same in our MH.

Like most others, we carry the triangles (no flares), safety vest, and LED warning strobes. All in a passenger-side compartment.
Skip
K4EAK
2013 Thor ACE 30.1

Wrong_Lane
Explorer
Explorer
We carry a set of three triangles and a reflective vest. The triangles are around $20.00 at Northern Tool. They come packaged in a plastic snap lid box and are heavy so they never move around.

Like stated above I have them in a curb side compartment so I don't have to stand in traffic to access them.

I didn't buy them to be "legal". I bought them for the safety factor. Other than the initial set up at home to make sure they were intact when purchased and familiarizing myself with the set up procedure I am hoping I never have to take them out of the box!
2006 Damon Challenger 348F Ford V10
2013 Ford Taurus SEL AWD
Blue Ox Aventa & Brake Buddy