Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water pump on and offf,,,

moon_lake
Explorer
Explorer
I have noticed that the water pump sporadically turns on and off when

no one is even using the water, and hasn't used it in days. Is this

normal? Or do I start looking for a leak under the rig?

Thanks.
12 REPLIES 12

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
moon.lake wrote:
Thanks for all your replies! This seems to be about every 5 to 10 minutes and I find it annoying,,, so I guess it time to start checking the system.

Also had the rig unplugged for a couple days and heard an occasional beep,went out to check the rig and it was both the carbon monoxide detectors,, not a full blown beeping sound, but a short occasional beep,, its not done this before when unplugged. Anything to worry about?

If it's every five to ten minutes then yes, something is wrong. Could it be one of your valves in the wrong position? In my plumbing compartment if I leave the valve that controls water from either city water or internal water in the wrong position when not hooked to city water, then my pump cycles every few seconds too. Check those first. If not that and you can't find water leaking anyplace (should be a noticeable leak with an every 5 to 10 second cycle) then it's probably just the bad pump.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Low battery voltage
OR
expired detector.......check backside for date. 'Self life' for detectors is typically 5-7 years
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

moon_lake
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all your replies! This seems to be about every 5 to 10 minutes and I find it annoying,,, so I guess it time to start checking the system.

Also had the rig unplugged for a couple days and heard an occasional beep,went out to check the rig and it was both the carbon monoxide detectors,, not a full blown beeping sound, but a short occasional beep,, its not done this before when unplugged. Anything to worry about?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pump cycling......lose of line pressure
Leak at fitting(s)
Leak thru check valve (pump internal one or city water connection one)
Leak thru low point drain valve(s)
Leak thru toilet water valve
Leak at faucet
Leak from Pressure Relief Valve

And just due to hot water side cooling off.

Rapid cycling (every few seconds) major leak
Occasional cycling (every few minutes) minor leak
Every once in awhile (hour-hours-days) very small leak

The real question is WHERE is leaking.
If NOT at a fitting etc. and just thru check valve......ignore/replace pump internal/add in-line on pump discharge line----if city water connection check valve......replace assembly OR screw a 3/4" PVC plug into connection.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
You might have a water pressure bladder tank, and it could be leaking off air pressure. If you have one, they are usually the same as you would find on a well water pump, and you can find new ones at Home Depot or Lowes. Don't know if the older Georgie Boy Cruise Master has them or not.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Once a day, once an hour? Okay what's the real rule? To the OP, mine only cycles about every 4 to 6 hours and then when it does it only runs for just a few seconds. It's done this since new. Is that normal? I have no idea. It doesn't bother me too much at this rate. As long as it's just water leaking back through the pump I doubt it will hurt anything and the only issue would be if it's bothering you too much. But the problem could also be caused my a small leak someplace in the system. So you do need to look around for a sign of a leak.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
427435 wrote:
The check valves in the pump itself can leak down. Ours cycles every once in a while without any water usage. It has done that for years without any sign of an external leak in or under the MH. If it is only cycling infrequently (once per hour), I wouldn't worry about it.

Same here. At a rally several years ago a factory rep gave me a rebuild kit for the pump check valve but I haven't bothered to install it since the occasional burp doesn't really bother me.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

weathershak
Explorer
Explorer
427435 wrote:
The check valves in the pump itself can leak down. Ours cycles every once in a while without any water usage. It has done that for years without any sign of an external leak in or under the MH. If it is only cycling infrequently (once per hour), I wouldn't worry about it.

X2
Full timing it since July 2012

Explorer
Explorer
Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

vtbig
Explorer
Explorer
The pump runs because it is losing pressure somewhere inside your motorhome. You either have a leak in a waterline or maybe only a loose fitting.
Richard

2003 Safari Trek 3011
8.1 Workhorse/Allison

CT_WANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The Pump will keep the pressure at a set point. I would only be concerned if it was cycling more than once a day. I know my will not cycle if no one uses water for a few days. If it cycles more than that I would start checking., it could even be leaking pass a check valve back to the tank. I am sure you will hear from others on where and what else to look for.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Normal! Yes, in most rigs this will happen. It could be a small leak. Most likely it could be leaking back through the pump.
We normally turn the pump off when not in use.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker