cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What 22.5 tires are good and won't break the bank?

lacofdfireman
Explorer
Explorer
Getting to the point where I need to replace my tires on my Motorhome. Not because of wear because they only have 33k on them but more because they are 8 years old and are starting to show some dry cracks on the sides. Also my steer tires are worn on the outside edges so I'm sure an alignment will be needed also. So right now I have 235/80 22.5 Michelin XRV's but the local tire shop wants over $500 a piece. Ouch.

So what's a good tire out there that will fit that will be a good tire. I know there has to be something out there that's not an RV specific tire that will be just as good. Tell me what your running and what they cost.
2007 Forest River Georgetown 350 DS SE Bunk Model Class A V10
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 ADV Bike
MotoJug Motorcycle Hydration System

39 REPLIES 39

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Hankook has limited sizes in RV tires, but I would buy them before any other out there.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

PF_PM
Explorer
Explorer
Made in USA Continental's work for us.. xWe replaced 235 80 22.5 Michelin with 255 70 22.5 Continental
2005 Newmar 34' Kountry Star, 8.1L W22, Blue Ox 10K, Honda Pilot, Bijon Shitzu (Sassy) dash dog. Nine Provinces, Two Territories, 47 States, Northern Mexico... so far..

viajante
Explorer
Explorer
Ed_Gee wrote:
viajante wrote:

Glad you had a good experience. We replaced Michelin's with Toyos. They were the absolutely worst tires I have ever purchased. The ride was harsh and jarring.

viajante - It is not clear to me from your comment above which tires were harsh and jarring. ...The Toyos ??

Yes, it was the Toyos

Chowan
Explorer
Explorer
I have found that several states dont charge sales tax on tires. Do any of you guys take advantage of this. If so, do these states have other taxes to make up the difference.

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
viajante wrote:

Glad you had a good experience. We replaced Michelin's with Toyos. They were the absolutely worst tires I have ever purchased. The ride was harsh and jarring.

viajante - It is not clear to me from your comment above which tires were harsh and jarring. ...The Toyos ??
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
lacofdfireman wrote:
Getting to the point where I need to replace my tires on my Motorhome. Not because of wear because they only have 33k on them but more because they are 8 years old and are starting to show some dry cracks on the sides. Also my steer tires are worn on the outside edges so I'm sure an alignment will be needed also. So right now I have 235/80 22.5 Michelin XRV's but the local tire shop wants over $500 a piece. Ouch.

So what's a good tire out there that will fit that will be a good tire. I know there has to be something out there that's not an RV specific tire that will be just as good. Tell me what your running and what they cost.

Story short, they're all good and all have a US Gov. DOT number on the sidewall. I've had Michelins, GY and now have 4 Hankooks and 4 very reasonably priced Hercules, so as I've said many times before, I've quit paying for a name and have yet to receive any pertinent engineering data from anyone who claims that any one brand is superior to another. I mean, what is the chemistry and method used, to construct a tire, that some classify as junk and still meet DOT standards?
Kinda reminds me of people who will only buy Bayer aspirin to save themselves from a heart attack. Hello people, the ingredients are exactly the same with a generic no name brand and again specified by our Government.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Take a trip up to Oregon and you won't have to pay sales tax. We used Les Schwaab - called in advance so they'd have them ready for us and specified that all had to match with a date of not more than three months on the tires. We were very pleased with our Michelins. We did this procedure just before our Alaska trip to have new tires. No problems with them.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
B F Goodrich tires. Owned by Michelin but lots cheaper. ST230's is what we put on our DP. They were recommended by Pro Tire in Denton TX. Before that we had Toyos. The Goodrich rode much better and wore better than the Toyos.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
Toyos for sure M 154 ride great last and do not crack out like some. Great service from Les Schwab. Fair price.
Did I mention they ride smooth.

Pogoil.

viajante
Explorer
Explorer
jergeod wrote:
I replaced Mich with Toyo all 6 mounted balanced out the door $2200 two years ago. Great tires nice ride.

sjholt
Explorer
Explorer
I bought 6 Sumitomo tires from Big O tires here in Henderson,NV for $220+ tax each.
Mounted and installed them myself with Dyna Beads that I vacuumed out of the old tires.
Skip
1996 32' Monaco Windsor DP
Cummins 5.9L 230+ HP
5 Airbags in front- 4 in back

carp65
Explorer
Explorer
We put Hankook tires on our car and our 2005 Georgieboy Pursuit. Were extremely
happy with both.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
lacofdfireman wrote:
Also is there an validity in using wheel covers to prolong tire life?

Most certainly. UV light (sunlight) speeds the aging of rubber. You will prolong the life of any tire that sits in the sun by keeping it out of UV light.

And, white is the best color, as it is cooler and heat also speeds up the degradation of rubber.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

the_silverback
Explorer
Explorer
Join FMCA if you haven't and buy your Michelin tires thru there system. I paid $2400 for 6 22.5 tires.
the silverback
2015 crossroads Rushmore 5th wheel

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced Goodyear G670's on my previous DP with Hankook AH12's and was very pleased with them. They were not cheap but less costly than either Goodyear or Michelin.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA