cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the general consensus?

karldavidson
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are taking our first major trip from near Houston to Topeka, Kansas. What is the general consensus regarding driving through a large city like Dallas or taking a loop around the city?

Just a bit nervous about our first adventure. Any other suggestions to make the journey more enjoyable would be greatly appreciated.
Karl and Cassie Davidson
Texas
"Making the World a Little Better Every Day"
24 REPLIES 24

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Just watch out for rush hour. Dallas can be a terrible delay.

ericsmith32
Explorer
Explorer
Been that way more than once and 35-W used to better now it seems both legs are the same. As I tell people that ask me how I can drive my rig I just tell them I don't think about it before hand. You'll just make yourself nervous just get in and drive!
2005 Jayco Escapade 28ZSLP (3500 Chevy chassis)

fortytwo
Explorer
Explorer
Loops are usually worse than direct as most large cities force the big truck traffic to use them. You just become an 18 wheeler sandwich. At rush hour there isn't a good option.
Wes
"A beach house isn't just real estate. It's a state of mind." Pole Sitter in Douglas Adams MOSTLY HARMLESS

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
John,

Is that your rig in your signature? If so ... a nice looking compact and comfortable setup.

Do you take it off paved roads a bit?
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Johnny_Dearborn
Explorer
Explorer
It never occurred to me to not go through a city because I'm driving an RV. I'd avoid a city for traffic reasons, but not because of the size of my rig. If truckers can drive a big 18 wheeler through the densest part of the city, I can manage my RV. Maybe it's because I grew up in LA, the capital of bad traffic and narrow freeways, that I don't think twice about it.

I honestly don't think that driving through a city is much worst than driving on narrow county highways with no shoulder, a ten foot drop off to the side and an 18 wheeler coming at you. If you can handle that, you can handle the worst that Dallas throws at you. (Drove through there once. Didn't seem to bad to me.)
---
I've been around the world, but no place compares to what I've got in my own 48 state backyard.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Houston to Topeka, you come in on I-45, it ends, becomes US-75 which goes to Topeka (though taking US-69 and Indiana Nation Turnpike saves you time relative to 75 in southern Oklahoma.

For this trip, taking the loop is out of the frying pan, into the fire. That's not general principle, it is specific experience about this particluar route through Dallas.

You can avoid Dallas entirely by taking TX-19 north from Huntsville, to Paris, the US-2xx whatever it is to the Indian Nation, which ends at the junction of I-40 with US-75. Then US-75 to Topeka. I find this route usually saves me about 40 miles, but is a wash on time, compared to going through Dallas, following 69 rather than 75 where the split N of Atoka, and getting on Indian Nation.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

richardwise
Explorer
Explorer
I try to avoid cities. Don't like the traffic. If beltways are just as bad as
straight through, I will plan on state routes to stay away from cities. Nicer
scenery that way too. I use the same philosophy as when I was on my Harley-
if you want to get there fast, drive your car. Otherwise, slow down and enjoy
the trip.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
I hate driving an RV in and around Orange County and Los Angeles via the freeway system but you really have little choice taking surface streets due to the amount of road construction and narrowing to one lane. We always skirt San Francisco on our way up and down the coast. Use your GPS to plan ahead where there are complex freeway merges and interchanges. Change lanes early enough and when safe, watch for motorcycles and cars in your blind spots. Idiots love to blare their horns at RV'ers trying to change lanes.

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
Never been to any south Texas city. But a word of advice... Be sure you've got properly adjusted mirrors, with fish-eye spots on both sides, and have adequate practice using them. I tend to pick a lane one in from the right and stick to it in heavy traffic. If the lane to the right is about to end, I move one to the left.

Jim, "Murphy's Law of Contamination: In order for something to get clean, something else has to get dirty."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
My first time towing my trailer was actually three drives: My first, My last, and My only.

I will never drive through Dallas again. To many lanes merging on and off. Driving through Atlanta is a piece of cake compared to Dallas.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Looney2nz
Explorer
Explorer
Just do Mapquest and it will route you around Dallas. There is really not a good time to go through Dallas, I'm sure it would be like going through Houston. Take it easy, know your turns ahead of time and enjoy the adventure.
Good Luck and Have Fun

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I NEVER go "through" a city of any size, if there is a beltway or loop around it. Generally faster, less congestion, & infinitely less stress.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

liveneasy
Explorer
Explorer
Once upon a time... when the loops and bypasses were constructed around large cities, using them made sense. Not so much anymore. As the population expanded so did the construction of malls, housing developments, hospitals, sports complexes etc. along the loops. Now days the loops and bypasses are busy all the time while the main routes through the downtown area is typically busy only during 'rush hour'.
Greg
'96 Holiday Rambler Endeavor DP/'03 4wd tracker
Datastorm F1/D2/7000/on SatMx5
See where I am today

fickman
Explorer
Explorer
I avoid Interstate highways if reasonable. . . it all depends on the route, though. Many US highways are in great shape with similar speed limits and no 18 wheeler traffic - although you do have the occasional small town slow down to contend with.

With Dallas, the loops can be as bad or worse than going through downtown. From 9:30 am - 3:00 pm, going straight through on the Interstate is usually a non-event. I wouldn't recommend I-35W in Fort Worth from downtown north to the US-287 to anybody for another couple of years due to major construction and congestion.
DW, DD (2007), DS (2008), DD (2010), DD (2011), and me

2010 Chevrolet Express 3500 LT
6.0 liter V8 SWB 12-passenger van

2008 Fleetwood Utah Popup Camper