cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What's the least amt. of miles you've driven before new RV?

univmd
Explorer
Explorer
We've driven our current & first RV since brand new, it now has 62,000 miles, want to upgrade, but feel guilty about it, since we always drive our cars over 250,000 miles before upgrading. What's the least amount of miles you've driven a motorhome before changing motorhomes?
2008 Gulfstream Tourmaster
2011 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Baseplate & Socket Wiring
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar
US Gear Unified Tow Brake
15 REPLIES 15

Freightguy
Explorer
Explorer
12k for me. My first one was to try out the lifestyle. Now on my 3rd class A and it has 62k. I am ready to upgrade also.
2009 American Tradition 42P
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimted

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
okgc wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
Mr.Mark wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
Not a MH. But I towed a brand new TT I bought for 4 whole days and took it back and dropped back at the dealers lot at 2:00 in the morning! They said I hold the record. :B

Can you give us a little more to the story? Was there a problem with it? Did you just not want the TT? Plagued with problems? Just curious.MM.

Trip was to be from Wisconsin to California to attend a family wedding.

Average winds and bad weather on 70 in Tulsa.......towing with a 'Tahoe'. Need I say more?
Learning curve on TV's accomplished.

Didn't feel like buying a new 'appropriate' truck so I bought a MH the next day and went back and tried the trip again and haven't looked back and have never been sidelined with bad weather. :C

I just have to ask if you made it to the Wedding ?? :h

:B
No, I gave up on second try 1/2 way there realizing I wouldn't make it.

Interestingly a camper parked next to me when I decided to turn around to go back home, said they had an extra empty paid for site in Branson and invited me to join them. So instead of going home I followed them there! Had a great time.

Acts of kindness only found in RV'ing. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

okgc
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Mr.Mark wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
Not a MH. But I towed a brand new TT I bought for 4 whole days and took it back and dropped back at the dealers lot at 2:00 in the morning! They said I hold the record. :B

Can you give us a little more to the story? Was there a problem with it? Did you just not want the TT? Plagued with problems? Just curious.MM.

Average winds and bad weather on 70 in Tulsa.......towing with a 'Tahoe'. Need I say more?

Didn't feel like buying a new 'appropriate' truck so I bought a MH the next day and went back and tried the trip again and haven't looked back and have never been sidelined with bad weather. :C

I just have to ask if you made it to the Wedding ?? :h
2010 Tiffin Allegro RED 36 QSA with GMC Envoy
Alaska 2015

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't count miles on a rig, nights slept is a better number. Consider how snow birds may use they rigs. Drive 2 or 3000 miles a year but live in the coach for months. Wish they put a run timer on the fridge that would really give you a usage indicator unless you leave the fridge on 24/7.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I'm usually seven years then a upgrade! I'm in my 10th year since buying my Winnebago Adventurer and no future plans to sell or trade it in!

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
I say it is not how many miles but how many years of enjoyment before it becomes a money pit. If you like what you have then keep it until it becomes a money pit.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased our 05 Allegro Bay in 05 with 1500 miles on it. We traded it after 10 years with a total of 36,000 miles on it. We retired and knew that we will be on the road a lot so we wanted a diesel. We put 15,000 miles on this coach in the first year and plan on keeping it for many years to come.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:

Can you give us a little more to the story? Was there a problem with it? Did you just not want the TT? Plagued with problems?

Just curious.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 2014 jayco Greyhawk. Purchased in June 2013 delivered in late July 2013. It had about 2600 miles on it at delivery. Used it 5 times camping for about 2500 miles total. The rest of the mileage was back and forth to the dealer. Traded it in on November 1st with 8000 miles. It was in the shop for one reason or another about 250 days.
FMCA member

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
About 4 years is the max I've ever kept a vehicle of any kind. Nothing to do with mileage just need to move to something different.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
univmd wrote:
We've driven our current & first RV since brand new, it now has 62,000 miles, want to upgrade, but feel guilty about it, since we always drive our cars over 250,000 miles before upgrading. What's the least amount of miles you've driven a motorhome before changing motorhomes?

we've only had two, a 1985 Winnebago chieftain (1986-2000) and a 2000 Itasca suncruiser (2000-present). current mileage is 85,000+, about the same as the chieftain when we traded it for the suncruiser. we're currently considering purchasing a new MH as the suncruiser is starting to exhibit 'nickel and dime' syndrome.

as for autos...we generally keep them for an average of 12-14 years. but as we have two we try to stagger them buying one every 6-7 years.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
We don't think in terms of miles, instead we use years since most RVs are used about 1/32 the amount of time a car is.

We don't start looking for a new RV until the current one begins to fall apart and becomes too costly and time consuming to enjoy. We had our first RV (a very used one when we bought it) for only two years before it became a money pit. We had a couple of other used RVs and got rid of them due to problems.

Our new purchase RVs- first one was a 24ft TT that we kept for 16 years and replaced it with a 5th wheel that we've had for 20 years. The 5th wheel is still going strong and has lasted through 3 trucks. The first two trucks were used and replaced due to problems. The current truck was purchased new and from the way it's holding up will be around for a long time.

Keep in mind Class A MHs are built using the same suspension and drive components used on commercial fleet vehicles. These parts are designed for a minimum of 500,000 miles of use. They are not like cars or light trucks designed for 200,000 miles of use.

So if you are happy with it and you aren't having problems with it and maintain it properly...why get rid of it.